Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

Best anime series?

Old 05-27-14, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 400 Likes on 317 Posts
Re: Best anime series?

I love Serial Experiments Lain, my favorite overall anime, but that's more like a long movie and isn't multi-seasons which Deb seems to be looking for.

Similar goes for BoogiePop Phantom.

A lot of quality anime is only a single season, so I dunno.

Tenchi Universe
Ayashi no Ceres
Naruto
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
Great Teacher Onizuka
Cowboy Bebop
Lain
BoogiePop Phantom
Love Hina

... I watched a lot of late 90s/early 00s anime

Last edited by RichC2; 05-27-14 at 03:40 PM.
Old 05-27-14, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
The Funimation streaming is really only worth it if you have a ROKU.

If you want a free All-Access Guest Pass at Crunchyroll that lasts 48 Hours, let me know.
Thanks! I'll let you know in a couple of weeks when I use up the other trial

I DO have a Roku and it's where I do most of my TV watching! I have an indoor bike trainer (use regular outdoors bike outside) and a treadmill and I do most of my triathlon training indoors so I spend hours a week watching movies and TV shows while I train.
Old 05-27-14, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by van der graaf View Post
Given your taste in shows, I am surprised no one has recommended Serial Experiments Lain. I also second FullMetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. I would also delve into 80s anime (the best era in my opinion), OAVs like 3x3 Eyes and the Hakkenden are awesome.
What is the difference between the Classic and the non-classic?

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...s+Lain+blu-ray
Old 05-27-14, 11:30 PM

Received 308 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
I DO have a Roku and it's where I do most of my TV watching! I have an indoor bike trainer (use regular outdoors bike outside) and a treadmill and I do most of my triathlon training indoors so I spend hours a week watching movies and TV shows while I train.
This is off topic, but if you're looking for good stuff to watch on the Roku, check out Acorn.tv. Lots of great British mysteries, dramas and comedies. They have a one month free trial.
Old 05-27-14, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Huh, Serial Experiments Lain is available in its entirety in Funimation and it does sound intriguing, looks like I found myself my first anime show! Thanks! Have to hurry up and finish up Continuum and then this within the next two weeks now.

Last edited by GatorDeb; 05-27-14 at 11:58 PM.
Old 05-27-14, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TheBigDave View Post
This is off topic, but if you're looking for good stuff to watch on the Roku, check out Acorn.tv. Lots of great British mysteries, dramas and comedies. They have a one month free trial.
Thanks, I'll check it out! I've seen the name through the channel list.
Old 05-28-14, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

I do like stuff where animals represent spirits
You might want to check out Wolf's Rain. Not technically what you mentioned, but kind of a similar vein.
Old 05-28-14, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 264 Posts

What is the difference between the Classic and the non-classic?

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...s+Lain+blu-ray
There are no differences except price. Funimation re-releases their sets at lower prices after the first manufacturing run has sold out and calls it "classic." Identical discs, inferior packaging.
Old 05-28-14, 07:00 PM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 139 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
There are no differences except price. Funimation re-releases their sets at lower prices after the first manufacturing run has sold out and calls it "classic." Identical discs, inferior packaging.
There was only one exception so far and that was Samurai Champloo Blu-ray. FUNimation re-authored the discs the Anime Classics release (original release was technically under Geneon USA with FUNimation doing the distribution).

With that said, expect the discs to be same unless we see something different.
Old 05-30-14, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Is Avatar: The Last Airbender considered Anime even though it was produced in the U.S.?
Old 05-30-14, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by gatordeb View Post
is avatar: The last airbender considered anime even though it was produced in the u.s.?
No!
Old 05-30-14, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ha ha. That thought just popped into my head as I was browsing around. So anime by definition has to be produced in Japan?
Old 05-30-14, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ha ha. That thought just popped into my head as I was browsing around. So anime by definition has to be produced in Japan?
Yes.

Or, as Pikachu would say, "Pika--CHU!"
Old 05-30-14, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 277 Likes on 233 Posts

Yep, there's a lot of U.S. (and elsewhere)-produced shows that are in the style of anime, but they're not anime.
Old 05-30-14, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum View Post
No!
Hey, I just noticed something, did you go and edit the quote and un-capitalize my username and the title of the show?
Old 05-30-14, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hey, I just noticed something, did you go and edit the quote and un-capitalize my username and the title of the show?
No, that wasn't me. At least not intentionally. Sometimes weird things happen and you never know why. I'd swear the internet has a mind of its own.
Old 05-30-14, 03:22 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure if you're still looking for series or if this would be a type of anime that you like.. But one of my favorite series is Cardcaptor Sakura. There were 3 seasons (70 episodes) and 2 movies in its run.

Don't be drawn in by the horrid Cardcaptors show (English dub). They tried to saturday morning cartoon the original series and changed the focus of the show from being about Sakura a 10 year old girl to a boy in the series that isn't the main character. They also cut and stitched together shows from multiple episodes and basically turned it into a horrible mess.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardcaptor_Sakura

It's considered a Shōjo manga series.

Cardcaptor Sakura takes place in the fictional city of Tomoeda. Ten-year-old Sakura Kinomoto accidentally releases a set of magical cards known as Clow Cards from a book created and named after the sorcerer Clow Reed.
Old 05-30-14, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum View Post
No, that wasn't me. At least not intentionally. Sometimes weird things happen and you never know why. I'd swear the internet has a mind of its own.
Am I the first one to ever notice or is this something known to everyone like The Edit King?

Last edited by GatorDeb; 05-30-14 at 07:05 PM.
Old 05-30-14, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

While Avatar: The Last Airbender is not considered Anime, but it's pretty good series.
Old 05-30-14, 10:09 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Renewed my Crunchyroll anime subscription and took advantage of the Funimation 6 months/$20 offer.. THough I didn't up my HuluPlus since I still don't like that they make you sit through so many commercials when you are paying for it. They have a decent amount of Anime shows to watch without paying for plus.

Now to find some stuff to watch. Watched part of No Game No Life on Crunchyroll. Seemed decent so far.
Old 05-30-14, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Canis Firebrand View Post
Not sure if you're still looking for series or if this would be a type of anime that you like.. But one of my favorite series is Cardcaptor Sakura. There were 3 seasons (70 episodes) and 2 movies in its run.

Don't be drawn in by the horrid Cardcaptors show (English dub). They tried to saturday morning cartoon the original series and changed the focus of the show from being about Sakura a 10 year old girl to a boy in the series that isn't the main character. They also cut and stitched together shows from multiple episodes and basically turned it into a horrible mess.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardcaptor_Sakura

It's considered a Shōjo manga series.

Cardcaptor Sakura takes place in the fictional city of Tomoeda. Ten-year-old Sakura Kinomoto accidentally releases a set of magical cards known as Clow Cards from a book created and named after the sorcerer Clow Reed.
Thanks! I've always been interested in card games like these although I've never played them like Magic: The Gathering so sooner or later I will catch this one. I couldn't find it to stream but I like card games enough to invest in one season or movie down the line. I'm planning to start with Serial Experiments Lain.

Last edited by GatorDeb; 05-31-14 at 12:42 AM.
Old 05-30-14, 10:52 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Not a card game at all.. Sorry if the short description gave that indication.

Here's a little more. I didn't want to post too much of the plot to spoil it.. It's an older series, so likely not on any streaming service.

Cardcaptor Sakura takes place in the fictional city of Tomoeda. Ten-year-old Sakura Kinomoto accidentally releases a set of magical cards known as Clow Cards from a book created and named after the sorcerer Clow Reed. Each card has its own unique ability and can assume an alternate form when activated. The guardian of the cards, Cerberus, emerges from the book and chooses Sakura to retrieve the missing cards. As she finds each card, she battles its magical personification and defeats it by sealing it away.
Hopefully this is ok to post, its on YouTube. It's the first episode subbed.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/1BpPisswa1M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by Canis Firebrand; 05-30-14 at 10:57 PM.
Old 05-31-14, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No, I saw that, but it involves the character using cards
Old 05-31-14, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Internet TV service will stream the first four episodes of “Sailor Moon” — uncut and remastered — starting Monday, May 19, through a deal with distribution company Viz Media, which acquired exclusive North American rights to the franchise from Tokyo-based Toei Animation Co.

Hulu will add two new episodes of the 200-episode series each subsequent Monday. Viz’s NeonAlley.com platform also will distribute the series via the Hulu and Hulu Plus video player. Initially, the “Sailor Moon” episodes will be subtitled.
At 200-4=196 episodes, that will take 98 weeks
Old 05-31-14, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know I'm late to the party, but I'll throw some recommendations in...

To the titles already recommneded, I'll second...
Cowboy Bebop (obligatory)
Gungrave
FullMetal Alchemist Brotherhood (obligatory IMO)
Wolf's Rain
Full Metal Panic!
Monster
Samurai Champloo
Baccano!
DBZ - Debatedly the most popular anime of all time.

Some new ones that no mentioned...
Trigun
Gun X Sword - Very underrated. A mix of Bebop and Trigun
Tiger & Bunny - Don't let the name fool you, it's quality, I might be reviewing it on here soon.
Big O
Mushi-Shi
Lupin The 3rd - I'd highly recommend the new series, Woman Called Fujiko Mine, it's an origin story.
Code Geass
Black Lagoon
Yu Yu Hakusho.

You should probably make a list, lol. Since FMA Brotherhood is on Netflix, I'd say start there.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.