Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

Sword Art Online

Old 06-28-13, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Sword Art Online

Via Anime News Network

Adult Swim's Toonami block will premiere the Sword Art Online television anime series on July 27 at 2:00 a.m. EDT/PDT.
Old 12-31-13, 11:05 AM

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts

SAO2 coming in 2014!

VIDEO: "Sword Art Online II" Anime Activated

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/6lDaI3mliVY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Old 12-31-13, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What did people think of Sword Art Online EXTRA EDITION? I think there was to many flashbacks and not enough girls in swimsuit scenes.
Old 12-31-13, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought this series is just okay. I get this .Hack series feeling when I watched SAO.

But I'll watch it.
Old 12-31-13, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Just based off that limited sample, the voices all seem fine except Kirito in comparison to the Japanese voices. Which is a problem, as he is the main character and does almost all of the speaking.
Having listened to the most of the dub now, I was completely wrong. This is a very good, if not great, English dub. I don't have a problem with any of the voices. They nailed Asuna's voice.
Old 01-01-14, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisc31
What did people think of Sword Art Online EXTRA EDITION? I think there was to many flashbacks and not enough girls in swimsuit scenes.
Before your post, I had no idea about this post addendum to SAO. The first hour heavily drags, due to the repeated and rehashed scenes from SAO. Yes, a bit more fan service could have been added. I would consider the last thirty minutes the essential new stuff, though everything in it was fairly predictable. They appear to be ripping off Game of Thrones for SAO II.
Old 01-02-14, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 135 Likes on 89 Posts

Yes, thanks for mentioning it. I really wasn't feeling this episode/movie, however...maybe because they are no longer playing for their lives or freedom, and just playing for the hell of it? We'll see what Seijiro has in mind for Kirito (and everyone else?), I guess.
Old 03-14-14, 09:02 PM

"Sword Art Online II" Anime Coming in July?

"According to a screenshot making the rounds on Japanese blogs, the latest rebroadcast of Sword Art Online included the text scroll that the follow-up anime TV series will kick off this July."
Old 03-15-14, 10:53 AM

Sword Art Online is now on Netflix. It has both the English and Japanese audio tracks (with optional ENG subs).
Old 05-22-14, 06:43 PM

Crunchyroll to Stream "Sword Art Online II"

Stand by for a scintillating summer season of anime as Sword Art Online II, the highly anticipated follow-up to one of anime’s biggest recent hits, is set to join the Crunchyroll lineup. Based on the light novels by Reji Kawahara and illustrated by abec, Sword Art Online II begins streaming on Crunchyroll on July 5th. Please make a note of it! In the meantime, to get yourself up to speed, you can watch previous episodes of Sword Art Online here on Crunchyroll!

Sword Art Online II will be available to Crunchyroll users in the following territories: U.S., Canada, Australia, New Zealand, U.K., Ireland, Latin American Countries, Europe (excluding German & French speaking countries), Asia (excluding China, Korea, Taiwan).

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-new...-art-online-ii
Plot Synopsis:

Spoiler:
1 year after the SAO incident, Kirito is approached by Seijiro Kikuoka from Japan’s Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications Department “VR Division” with a rather peculiar request.

That was an investigation on the “Death Gun” incident that occurred in the gun and steel filled VRMMO called Gun Gale Online (GGO). “Players who are shot by a mysterious avatar with a jet black gun lose their lives even in the real world…” Failing to turn down Kikuoka’s bizarre request, Kirito logs in to GGO even though he is not completely convinced that the virtual world could physically affect the real world.

Kirito wanders in an unfamiliar world in order to gain any clues about the “Death Gun.” Then, a female sniper named Sinon who owns a gigantic “Hecate II” rifle extends Kirito a helping hand. With Sinon’s help, Kirito decides to enter the “Bullet of Bullets,” a large tournament to choose the most powerful gunner within the realm of GGO, in hopes to become the target of the “Death Gun” and make direct contact with the mysterious avatar.
Old 12-14-14, 04:49 PM

Is anyone watching SAO Abridged by Something Witty Entertainment? These videos are hilarious. They just posted the latest episode.

If you don't want to watch the whole thing, at least skip ahead to 9:10-11:20. Those two minutes had me laughing my ass off.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/8bxDyZi21hY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 12-21-14, 04:04 AM

Mother's Rosario was an excellent arc. I'd put it on par with Aincrad (the first half of Season One).

Overall, Season Two was really good. Phantom Bullet started out slow, but got better. Calibur was a few episodes of filler. And I was blown away by Mother's Rosario.

I'm already looking forward to Season 3.
Old 12-21-14, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's just okay, not one of my best Fall simulcast.
Old 10-14-15, 10:49 AM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i am completely new to anime and the premise of SAO interested me quite a bit. I watched 4 episodes last night and really really enjoyed it. Hulu Plus is great for anime, there are crap tons on there.

So far I have watched --

Angel Beats! -- 1 episode
Death Note -- 5 episodes
Fairy Tail -- 1 episode
SAO -- 4 episodes

SAO seems to have grabbed me the most
Old 10-14-15, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by wlj
i am completely new to anime and the premise of SAO interested me quite a bit. I watched 4 episodes last night and really really enjoyed it. Hulu Plus is great for anime, there are crap tons on there.

So far I have watched --

Angel Beats! -- 1 episode
Death Note -- 5 episodes
Fairy Tail -- 1 episode
SAO -- 4 episodes

SAO seems to have grabbed me the most
SAO is an awesome anime

I think you should give Angel Beats at least one more episode, the first time I tried to watch it I only watched half an episode then about three months later I watched more and loved it.

I am not sure if its on Hulu but you should watch "Attack on Titan" don't judge the anime on what the titans look like.

Last edited by chrisc31; 10-14-15 at 01:58 PM.
Old 10-14-15, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Just yesterday you were talking about how you completely write off anything shounen as shallow unwatchable; yet today you're recommending two. o.O
Old 10-14-15, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Koby
Just yesterday you were talking about how you completely write off anything shounen as shallow unwatchable; yet today you're recommending two. o.O
Reread my second post in that thread.

I don't go around poking at what kind of animes you don't like. You called every Moe, slice of life, and highschool setting anime unwatchable, whats the difference?

Last edited by chrisc31; 10-14-15 at 02:30 PM.
Old 10-14-15, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisc31
Reread my second post in that thread.

I don't go around poking at what kind of animes you don't like. You called every Moe, slice of life, and highschool setting anime unwatchable, whats the difference?
I never called anything unwatchable. I didn't even say I wouldn't watch them. I simply said I 'tend to avoid them because they're played out' as-in there are so many of them and they'll usually the same story and setting with just different characters. Although that last part can pretty much be said about any Gundam series too. Nor did I go the next day and recommend things I claimed was unwatchable. As for re-reading your post, you apparently decided to edit it. =O I never poked at anything to do with what you don't like. I was simply making a statement of how you seem to contradict yourself. I found it amusing, nothing more. Wasn't trying to start anything.

That said, my biggest complaint with Sword Art Online is that they've got a '100 floor story' and they decide to time-skip and hop around and end the entire plot in 6 episodes. When you take away the side-stories that were added in chronological order for the anime; only 6 canon episodes was all that existed for the SAO arc. Then they jump into a new game.

I liked how they sort of tied in the aspect that Kirito is possibly the guy who made the tech used in Accel World which is set in the future compared to SAO and written by the same author. I feel the story progression was better there as it didn't just jump around and skip a lot of events. Excited about AW S2 recently being announced.

Also apparently a movie is being made for SAO now.

Last edited by Koby; 10-14-15 at 03:04 PM.
Old 10-14-15, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

I didn't mind the way the first half of the first season of SAO was set up... the time skipping and such I saw as a way to make the storyline less straightforward than constant grinding and leveling up. Storyline-wise, Kirito is basically a Mary Sue, I felt, but I feel the same about Accel World.

But I do agree they should have spent the entire first season on SAO and save the Alfheim stuff for a second season (at least then I would have had an entire season in a world I liked, before they brought in some highly questionable anime tropes).

Let us know how you feel when SAO reach the halfway point, wlj.
Old 10-15-15, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I liked the first season okay until they got out of the game. 2nd season I couldnt even finish.