Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Anime Talk
Reload this Page >

1 & Only Studio Ghibli Thread

Community
Search
Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

1 & Only Studio Ghibli Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-14, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: 1 & Only Studio Ghibli Blu-ray Thread

I just watched Kiki's Delivery Service on Blu-ray. The video quality really does make a difference compared to the older dvd release, also For some reason they edited the English dub and removed a few things in the movie.

Last edited by chrisc31; 11-21-14 at 02:04 PM.
Old 11-21-14, 11:53 AM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 528 Likes on 465 Posts

Now listed @ Amazon:
- Pom Poko (Blu-ray) - $36.99 - 2/3/15
- Porco Rosso (Blu-ray) - $36.99 - 2/3/15
- Tales From Earthsea (Blu-ray) - $36.99 - 2/3/15
Old 12-01-14, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Received the Princess Mononoke BD over the weekend in the mail. The A/V quality is top notch and beautiful. This is a major improvement over the DVD and a bigger step up than Nausicaa's BD.

I hadn't watched the movie in a few years and I was struck again at how forceful and uncompromising this film is. Truly a timeless masterpiece.

I have Kiki's on order, I should get it today. The Kiki DVD was very slipshod, looking forward the the BD. I feel a little weird liking this movie as a 41 year old dad, but it's got a great message and beautiful visuals of an imagined Europe.
Old 12-01-14, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisc31
I just watched Kiki's Delivery Service on Blu-ray. The video quality really does make a difference compared to the older dvd release, also For some reason they edited the English dub and removed a few things in the movie.
What was specifically removed?
Old 12-15-14, 07:49 PM
WTK

[JP] When Marnie Was There [EngSub]

http://marnie.jp/dvdbd/index.html

Amazon Japan listings

March 18, 2015. EngSub on both formats.
- Blu-ray: 7344yen
- DVD: 5076yen

Old 12-20-14, 06:34 AM
WTK

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=15711
Universal Studios Home Entertainment has announced and detailed the Blu-ray release of Studio Ghibli and director Isao Takahata's The Tale of The Princess Kaguya. The critically acclaimed animated film arrives via a Blu-ray combo pack on February 17, 2015.

Official Synopsis: From Studio Ghibli, the award-winning studio that brought you Spirited Away, My Neighbor Totoro, and The Wind Rises comes a powerful and sweeping epic that redefines animated storytelling and marks a triumphant highpoint within an extraordinary filmmaking career for director Isao Takahata. Found inside a shining stalk of bamboo by an old bamboo cutter and his wife, a tiny girl grows rapidly into an exquisite young lady. The mysterious young princess enthralls all who encounter her – but ultimately she must confront her fate, the punishment for her crime. Voiced by James Caan, Mary Steenburgen, and Chloë Grace Moretz.

The Tale of The Princess Kaguya is the first Studio Ghibli release to be distributed by Universal Studios in North America. The film is presented in 1080p with Japanese and English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 surround. Special features include:
  • Announcement of the Completion of the Film
  • Isao Takahata and His Tale of The Princess Kaguya
  • Japanese Trailers and TV Spots
  • US Trailers
Old 03-23-15, 09:54 PM
WTK

Amazon pre-order listings (no release date yet):
- Spirited Away
- The Cat Returns

Old 03-24-15, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Spirited Away.............about time!
Old 03-27-15, 08:03 PM
WTK

Originally Posted by WTK
Amazon pre-order listings (no release date yet):
- Spirited Away
- The Cat Returns
http://4NN.cx/.86447 (Spirited Away)
Release Date: June 16, 2015

Aspect Ratios: 1.85:1
Audio: 5.1 DTS - HDMA
Languages: English, Japanese, French
Subtitles: English, French

Bonus Content: Introduction by John Lasseter, The Art of Spirited Away, Behind The Microphone, Original Japanese Storyboards, Nippon Television Special, Original Japanese Trailers, TV Spots
http://4NN.cx/.86447 (The Cat Returns)
Release Date: June 16, 2015

Aspect Ratios: 1.85:1
Audio: 5.1 DTS - HDMA
Languages: English, Japanese, French
Subtitles: English, French

Bonus Content: Original Japanese Storyboards, Original Japanese Trailers, TV Spots, The Making of The Cat Returns, Behind The Microphone
Old 04-21-15, 07:31 AM
WTK

Ocean Waves (Umi ga Kikoeru) [EngSub]
http://www.disney.co.jp/studio/ghibli/0245.html

Amazon Japan listing

July 17, 2015.
- BD: 6800yen + tax.
https://www.kinokuniya.co.jp/f/dsg-10-4959241758569

Audio: Japanese
Subtitles: English, Japanese

Gauche the Cellist [EngSub]
http://www.disney.co.jp/studio/news/20150420_03.html
http://www.disney.co.jp/studio/ghibli/0702.html

Amazon Japan listings: BD / DVD

July 17, 2015.
- BD: 5800yen + tax.
https://www.kinokuniya.co.jp/f/dsg-10-4959241758972
- DVD: 4700yen + tax.
https://www.kinokuniya.co.jp/f/dsg-10-4959241758989

Audio: Japanese
Subtitles: English, French, Japanese.

Panda! Go Panda! [EngSub [EngDub]
http://www.disney.co.jp/studio/news/20150420_03.html
http://www.disney.co.jp/studio/ghibli/0244.html

Amazon Japan listings: BD / DVD

July 17, 2015.
- BD: 5800yen + tax.
https://www.kinokuniya.co.jp/f/dsg-10-4959241758927
- DVD: 4700yen + tax.
https://www.kinokuniya.co.jp/f/dsg-10-4959241758934

Audio: English, Japanese
Subtitles: English, Japanese

Jarinko Chie (movie)

Meitantei Holmes (movie)

Last edited by WTK; 04-21-15 at 01:09 PM.
Old 05-13-15, 10:55 PM
WTK

[HK BD & DVD] When Marnie Was There [EngSub]

- DDDHouse.com: Blu-ray / DVD
- YesAsia.com: Blu-ray / DVD
Release Date: 2015-05-27
Language: Cantonese, Japanese
Subtitles: English, Traditional Chinese, Japanese
Publisher: Intercontinental Video (HK)
Old 06-01-15, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Any reason why it took so long to release Spirited Away on Blu-ray? Easily my most favorite Ghibli film.
Old 07-30-15, 07:32 PM
WTK

via Nerdist.com | Amazon listing (listed price: $249.99)
Due out exclusively from Amazon on November 17th, The Collected Works of Hayao Miyazaki contains each of the maestro’s eleven feature films: Lupin the Third: The Castle of Cagliostro, Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Castle in the Sky, My Neighbor Totoro, Kiki’s Delivery Service, Porco Rosso, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Howl’s Moving Castle, Ponyo, and The Wind Rises.

But the highlight for those who already own all of these films on Blu-ray will be the set’s bonus features, including Yuki no Taiyo (Yuki’s Sun) — a 1972 television pilot based on a manga by Tetsuya Chiba that was directed, storyboarded and animated by Hayao Miyazaki. The set also contains three episodes (26, 27, and 41) of the 1972 anime series Akado Suzunosuk (Little Samurai), featuring storyboards by the filmmaker. Fans will also get the uncut version of Miyazaki’s Retirement Press Conference, which was thankfully not the final page in his career. The whole package is rounded off with a book featuring The Great Dichotomy: Looking at the Works of Hayao Miyazaki by Tomohiro Machiyama, which “explores the themes and techniques of this revered Japanese filmmaker, and selected text from Hayao Miyazaki’s initial notes and creative proposals for the production of each film.”
Spoiler:

Last edited by WTK; 07-31-15 at 03:27 PM.
Old 07-30-15, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Looks great. My only issue is how well the discs will be kept in such a compact compartment. I mean they most certainly will be stacked ontop of each other in some way which would require taking a lot of them out to get to the one you want, etc..

It's why I prefer single disc cases, and volumes over boxsets often.
Old 07-31-15, 05:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by WTK
via Nerdist.com | Amazon listing (inactive at this time)

Spoiler:
So when are we gonna get "Future Boy Conan"?
Old 07-31-15, 03:28 PM
WTK

Amazon listing now has a price of $249.99 for the Miyazaki BD Collection.

---EDIT---

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2...om-november-17
THE COLLECTED WORKS OF HAYAO MIYAZAKI Available on Blu-ray Exclusively via Amazon.com November 17

Experience the majestic works of one of the most celebrated filmmakers in the history of animated cinema. Hayao Miyazaki weaves his unique style of artistry and epic adventure into astonishing tales of triumph, bursting with imagination and wonder. Disney presents for the first time in North America THE COLLECTED WORKS OF HAYAO MIYAZAKI, including all 11 of Miyazaki’s feature-length masterpieces — complete with hours of captivating bonus features — in one spectacular 12-disc collection available on Blu-ray exclusively via Amazon.com on November 17, 2015.

Films:
• LUPIN THE THIRD: THE CASTLE OF CAGLIOSTRO (ルパン三世 カリオストロの城, Rupan Sansei: Kariosutoro no Shiro, 1979)
• NAUSICAÄ OF THE VALLEY OF THE WIND (風の谷のナウシカ, Kaze no Tani no Naushika, 1984)
• CASTLE IN THE SKY (天空の城ラピュタ Tenkuu no Shiro Rapyuta, 1986)
• MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO (となりのトトロ, Tonari no Totoro, 1988)
• KIKI’S DELIVERY SERVICE (魔女の宅急便, Majo no Takkyuubin, 1989)
• PORCO ROSSO (紅の豚, Kurenai no Buta, 1992)
• PRINCESS MONONOKE (もののけ姫, Mononoke Hime, 1997)
• SPIRITED AWAY (千と千尋の神隠し, Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi, 2001)
• HOWL’S MOVING CASTLE (ハウルの動く城, Hauru no Ugoku Shiro, 2004)
• PONYO (崖の上のポニョ, Gake no Ue no Ponyo, 2008)
• THE WIND RISES (風立ちぬ, Kaze Tachinu, 2013)

Bonus Features:
• YUKI’S SUN (雪の太陽, Yuki no Taiyo, 1972) – TV pilot based on an original manga by Tetsuya Chiba, directed by Hayao Miyazaki who was also in charge of storyboards and key animation.
• LITTLE SAMURAI (赤胴鈴之助, Akado Suzunosuke, 1972) – Three episodes (Episode 26, 27 & 41) of the hit anime series with storyboarding and more by Hayao Miyazaki.
• Director Hayao Miyazaki Retirement Press Conference, Uncut Version

Booklet:
A collector’s edition book featuring “The Great Dichotomy: Looking at the Works of Hayao Miyazaki” by Tomohiro Machiyama, which explores the themes and techniques of this revered Japanese filmmaker, and selected text from Hayao Miyazaki’s initial notes and creative proposals for the production of each film.

Release Date: November 17, 2015
Audio: English, Japanese, and English DVS 1.0 Mono
Subtitles: English, French & Spanish
SRP: $249.99

Last edited by WTK; 08-01-15 at 09:53 AM.
Old 08-08-15, 08:55 AM
WTK

The release date went up the other day for US release of When Marnie Was There.

via Amazon
- When Marnie Was There (Blu-ray / DVD Combo) - $34.98 - 10/6/15
Special Features: The Making of When Marnie Was There, Yohei Taneda Creates the Art of When Marnie Was There, Feature-Length Storyboards, Behind the Scenes with the Voice Cast, Foreign Trailers and TV Spots, US Trailer
- When Marnie Was There (DVD) - $24.98 - 10/6/15
Special Features: Behind the Scenes with the Voice Cast, Foreign Trailers and TV Spots, US Trailer
Old 08-24-15, 09:11 PM
WTK

Only Yesterday is licensed by GKids.

https://twitter.com/GKIDSfilms/statu...77524598321152
25 years later and we’re bringing #OnlyYesterday to the (American) big screen!
http://blogs.indiewire.com/animation...lease-20150824
GKIDS has announced that it has entered a distribution agreement with Studio Ghibli for the North American rights to Only Yesterday, from studio co-founder and Academy Award nominee Isao Takahata (The Tale of The Princess Kaguya). Long considered an unseen masterpiece by critics and fans, the film has never before been released in North America. GKIDS plans a theatrical release in early 2016, coinciding with the film’s 25th anniversary.

The deal was negotiated by Eric Beckman from GKIDS and Geoffrey Wexler from Studio Ghibli, with GKIDS taking all theatrical, non-theatrical, home video and television rights in North America. An English-language version is being produced by Studio Ghibli with cast to include Daisy Ridley (Star Wars: The Force Awakens), Dev Patel (Slumdog Millionaire, Best Exotic Marigold Hotel), Ashley Eckstein (HerUniverse, Star Wars Rebels) and Alison Fernandez (Orange is the New Black).

“With this 25th anniversary release, a broad new audience will now be able to discover what passionate supporters have known for years,” said David Jesteadt, GKIDS’ SVP of Distribution. “Only Yesterday is a groundbreaking classic, and further demonstration of Isao Takahata’s incredible legacy as a filmmaker.”
https://twitter.com/GKIDSfilms/statu...83134794530817
- will it be getting the Blu-ray treatment also?

- of course
Old 03-06-16, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Pardon the resurrection and the laziness of not going through the thread, but I'm currently on something of a spring cleaning spree and have gotten rid of quite a few of my old DVDs. Is there anything in my Ghibli collection worth keeping? I know about the Princess Mononoke subtitle issue, but the BD is combo pack and I'm considering just getting the Madman set anyway. There are apparently issue with the Kiki's dub, is there anything else worth keeping around for the extras of some kind of dubbing/subtitles issue?
Old 12-23-16, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Does the blu-ray version of My Neighbor Totoro have the same dubtitle issue Princess Mononoke have? I watch my animes with the Japanese voice acting.
Old 07-17-17, 04:22 PM
WTK

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/gk...ues-1202497246
Reissues of Six Miyazaki Films in the Works From Studio Ghibli, Gkids

JULY 17, 2017 | 09:00AM PT

Gkids is partnering with Studio Ghibli to handle the Japanese animation studio's catalog in North America, including Hayao Miyazaki's 2002 Academy Award winner "Spirited Away."

The alliance was announced Monday and will start with the Oct. 17 reissue of new Blu-ray and DVD editions of six titles from Miyazaki: "Spirited Away" and Oscar-nominated film "Howl's Moving Castle" along with "Kiki's Delivery Service," "My Neighbor Totoro," "Ponyo" and "Princess Mononoke," followed on Oct. 31 with "Castle in the Sky" and "Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind."

The Studio Ghibli library is led by directors and studio co-founders Hayao Miyazaki and Isao Takahata. Gkids has handled theatrical rights for the Studio Ghibli catalogue since 2010, and released "From Up on Poppy Hill," "Only Yesterday," "Ocean Waves" and the Academy Award-nominated titles "The Tale of The Princess Kaguya" and "When Marnie Was There."

Gkids previously announced a partnership with Fathom Events to bring six Ghibli titles back to theaters nationwide this year including "Kiki's Delivery Service," which will play on July 23 and 24 in both dubbed and subtitled versions at approximately 600 theaters.

Other animation covered by the new agreement include "Porco Rosso," directed by Hayao Miyazaki; "Pom Poko," directed by Isao Takahata; "Whisper of the Heart," directed by Yoshifumi Kondo; "My Neighbor the Yamadas," directed by Isao Takahata; "The Cat Returns," directed by Hiroyuki Morita; "Tales From Earthsea," directed by Goro Miyazaki; and "The Secret World of Arrietty," directed by Hiromasa Yonebayashi.
GKIDS is re-releasing the Studio Ghibli catalog on Blu-ray and DVD starting this fall! (Yes, all of them!) http://variety.com/2017/film/news/gk...ues-1202497246
Does that include "Grave of the Fireflies" and "The Wind Rises"?

No, Grave remains in its current distribution. Wind Rises also remains in its current deal, since it is such a new film.
So, @GKIDSfilms, great that you're re-releasing the big Ghibli titles. Can you please commit to putting proper subtitles on the discs?

The dubtitles on the current Disney releases are unacceptable and an affront to speakers of both English AND Japanese.

They'll have English subs (provided by Ghibli) for JPN audio, English SDH representing what is on the dub, and French. U should be covered!
All releases will have subtitles (provided by Ghibli) for JPN audio, separate English SDH dubtitles, and French subtitles.
You will be getting a Yamadas Blu (in early 2018), and we are always on the look out for ways to improve the new editions
Very excited! Could you please put proper subtitles on "Mononoke", "Kiki's", and "Castle in the Sky"? Disney's blu-rays only had dubtitles.

Yep there will be both subtitles and dubtitles on all our releases
But Kiki never had proper EN subs provided by Ghibli, so they're very likely dubtitles of the 1st English dub (by Streamline Pictures).

We’ve got subs for it provided by Ghibli, but will ask them. I have a hard time believing they would let the issue slide, given QC so far.
Did Disney sell off the US rights?

No
Then how did you get those films? I'm curious.

We dealt directly with Studio Ghibli, as we’ve become quite close over the years and I think we shared closest vision on the future.
Old 07-17-17, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

The last question is what I was wondering. I've never heard of GKids.
Old 07-17-17, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What does dubtitles mean? I'm still confused...

It's kind of bad timing for me since I bought lot of Studio Ghibli blu-rays just two weeks ago!
Old 07-17-17, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

I believe subtitles represent the original script and dubtitles represent what was spoken in the new voiceover.
Old 07-17-17, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Disney just let the rights expire? Or Ghibli chose not to let them renew? Are their editions going OOP now?

Wonder if these reissues will retain the same English tracks Disney produced in-house. I'd love for Totoro to finally get released with the original English dub -- that would be the only way to get me to rebuy it. Still need to pick up Spirited Away, but I want the Disney version to complete the current set.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.