Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Anime Talk
Reload this Page >

What animes have you purchased recently?

Community
Search
Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

What animes have you purchased recently?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-13, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: What animes have you purchased recently?

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst113
Weren't anime fansubbers some of the fist innovators in using the Internet that way to begin with?
The fansub distribution channels had no revenue model. So I'd say no.
Old 08-04-13, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dugan
The fansub distribution channels had no revenue model. So I'd say no.
No, I know that, not in financial terms, obviously, but weren't they some of the first to use the Internet to disseminate videos, full episodes, etc?
Old 08-05-13, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Well, people were torrenting tv shows and the like long before anime fansubbers went more mainstream (and people were trading tapes of old tv shows long before anime fansubbers were trading tapes back and forth too). They may be the first to actually add something to it, in the form of translations. I certainly don't remember a large enough fanbase being dedicated enough to translate stuff from foreign languages before that (although maybe Korean soaps were big before I heard of them).

What I was saying about new fans is that even if someone watches Sword Art Online and loves it on Cartoon Network, I doubt they'll love it enough to pay the Aniplex prices for it. Maybe some small percentage will, but the prices are even higher than, say, a DBZ fan going and buying the early Funimation releases.

There are still hardcore fans, and there are still companies that put out cheaper releases (certainly much cheaper than the two episode per pop dubbed tapes back in the day), but I don't see the fandom coming back to earlier levels (much like comics).
Old 08-05-13, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Well, people were torrenting tv shows and the like long before anime fansubbers went more mainstream (and people were trading tapes of old tv shows long before anime fansubbers were trading tapes back and forth too).
Interesting. I knew some about it, but I was surprised to find the old newsgroups and find out just how active early online fandom for things like Transformers and Star Trek was, even back in the 90s dial-up days.

They may be the first to actually add something to it, in the form of translations. I certainly don't remember a large enough fanbase being dedicated enough to translate stuff from foreign languages before that (although maybe Korean soaps were big before I heard of them).
Weren't there fansubs VHS tapes of various tokusatsu shows and flick kicking around (Godzilla, Ultraman, etc.)?

What I was saying about new fans is that even if someone watches Sword Art Online and loves it on Cartoon Network, I doubt they'll love it enough to pay the Aniplex prices for it.
What are those prices? Isn't it OOP?

Maybe some small percentage will, but the prices are even higher than, say, a DBZ fan going and buying the early Funimation releases
For a while, it seemed like a lot of anime had gone down in price, not gone up, like Anime Legends collections, etc.

There are still hardcore fans, and there are still companies that put out cheaper releases (certainly much cheaper than the two episode per pop dubbed tapes back in the day), but I don't see the fandom coming back to earlier levels (much like comics).
Which "earlier levels," the days of DBZ on and Gundam Wing on Toonami and InuYasha and Cowboy Bebop on Adult Swim type days?

I just went to amazon and eBay to look at the price of Armored Fleet Dairugger XV: Collection Three, and I damn near had a heart attack.
Old 08-06-13, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Anime had gone down in price... I'm saying that companies like Aniplex, who are releasing basically the Japanese versions here with subtitles, are charging close to Japanese prices (SAO is being released in 4 sets, which even with discount are 90 bucks a piece). They're not bargain binning their titles, or having dirt cheap collections after the initial sales.

I'd say the DBZ/Gundam Wing era was probably the peak, though I have no numbers to back that up or anything.

Yeah, Dairugger is probably OOP or the license expired. I'm still trying to find a copy of one of the Macross volumes.
Old 08-25-13, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just bought the movies "epic" and Disney's "Brave". I think I would like to see a few animes made this way, Almost everything looks so real. I even got the 3D versions.
Old 09-07-13, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just bought From Up On Poppy Hill DVD/Blu-ray (Hyb) for $21.99 at MovieStop.
Old 09-07-13, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisc31
I just bought From Up On Poppy Hill DVD/Blu-ray (Hyb) for $21.99 at MovieStop.
Good choice, though Costco members can get this for $17.99. I picked up Another: Complete Collection from the current Deepdiscount sale.
Old 09-07-13, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Good choice, though Costco members can get this for $17.99. I picked up Another: Complete Collection from the current Deepdiscount sale.
I just finished watching it and I highly recommend this movie, I own all Studio Ghibli films released in North America and I think this is the best one.
Old 09-15-13, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisc31
I just finished watching it and I highly recommend this movie, I own all Studio Ghibli films released in North America and I think this is the best one.
I thought it was good, not great. I prefer the more fantasy-driven stories from Ghibli like Howl's Moving Castle.
Old 09-16-13, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

1 $41.99 Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero DVD/Blu-ray
2 $5.59 Angel Beats! Cell Phone Charm: Yuri M
3 $3.99 Cat Planet Cuties Memo Pad: Eris in B
1 $7.99 Cat Planet Cuties Notebook: Eris
1 $11.99 Koe de Oshigoto! DVD (S)
1 $41.99 Maken-Ki! Battling Venus DVD/Blu-ray

Total Amount: $127.11

Thank you for being a Got Anime Purchasing Club Member!
$11.51 will be deducted from the Total Amount above.
Old 10-17-13, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

$7.99 Angel Beats! Binder: Angel and Yuri
$5.59 Angel Beats! Cell Phone Charm: Shinda
$29.99 Blessing of the Campanella DVD Collec
$5.99 Highschool of the Dead OVA: Drifters
$17.99 Mahoromatic: I'm Home DVD (Hyb)
$35.99 So, I Can't Play H Blu-ray Complete C
$41.99 Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 Blu-ray Complete

Total Amount: $145.53

Thank you for being a Got Anime Purchasing Club Member!
$11.55 will be deducted from the Total Amount above.