Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Anime Talk
Reload this Page >

What anime have you watched or/are currently watching?

Community
Search
Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

What anime have you watched or/are currently watching?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-19, 12:41 AM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: What anime have you watched or/are currently watching?

Anyone ever watch the Tales from Earthsea anime? Is it any good and worth buying to watch?
Old 08-23-19, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by urrutiap
Anyone ever watch the Tales from Earthsea anime? Is it any good and worth buying to watch?
Its a Studio Ghibli film, I own it but its been years since I watched it. Disney once licensed the film so I would definitely say its worth getting.
Old 08-24-19, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisc31
Its a Studio Ghibli film, I own it but its been years since I watched it. Disney once licensed the film so I would definitely say its worth getting.
It's definitely considered one of the bottom rung Ghibli films... I think it's Hayao's son Goro's directorial debut. From what I remember hearing, it also jams in far too much content into a single film. I also own it (it only came out on DVD) and haven't watched it, though. It almost seems like you'll like it more if you're not a big fan of the source material.
Old 08-24-19, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

Tales from Earthsea is out on Blu-Ray. An OOP version from Disney and a current one in print from GKIDS
Old 08-24-19, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Picked up Aggretsuko on Netflix again, the second season is a little harsher than the first and not as easy to watch.
Old 08-25-19, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by urrutiap
I just finished watching Tales from Earthsea it is a very good story, the film is far from Studio Ghibli bottom rung films like "The tale of the Princess Kaguya" "My Neighbors the Yamadas" "The Wind Rises" and "When Marnie Was There". I am sure anyone that likes anime films would enjoy Tales from Earthsea, Honestly I think the Film Maquia ~ when the promised flower blooms is similar in a way.

Last edited by chrisc31; 08-26-19 at 03:51 AM.
Old 08-25-19, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

I very much enjoyed Tales of Earthsea when I watched it nearly a decade ago.

I much prefer it over some of the more recent films such as The Wind Rises or When Marnie Was There.
Old 08-26-19, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

I can understand why many anime fans wouldn't like them but The Wind Rises and When Marnie Was There are superb films.
Old 08-26-19, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I can understand why many anime fans wouldn't like them but The Wind Rises and When Marnie Was There are superb films.
I actually did like The Wind Rises. I just vastly enjoyed Earthsea more.

However Marnie I just outright did not like at all.. had to force myself to finish it. Didn't like anything about it in terms of the story nor the characters. I can't really explain why, just could get attached to the characters enough to enjoy the story. The animation was nice though.

My favorites still remain as The Whisper of the Heart and Grave of the Fireflies.
Old 08-26-19, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I had no idea Earthsea came out on Blu. I guess I just didn't bother to upgrade that title, which is weird, because I upgraded everything else.
chrisc31, are you familiar with the Earthsea books? Like I said earlier, it probably plays better to someone who isn't a fan of the source material and doesn't come in with expectations. But man I didn't realize people didn't like When Marnie Was There and The Wind Rises, both of which I thought were excellent. My Neighbors the Yamadas' is great as well but I understand the drastically different style probably turns a lot of people off.

It almost shames me to say this because I loved it as a kid but Castle in the Sky pretty much puts me to sleep these days.
Old 08-26-19, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"The tale of the Princess Kaguya" is the only film I do not like, I couldn't finish it.
I had the the same thought as Koby. I don't dislike "The Wind Rises" and "When Marnie Was There" I just liked "Tales from Earthsea" a lot more and I never watched "My Neighbors the Yamadas"
however I remember
"The Wind Rises" being bored while watching it.
^ fujishig I never read the Earthsea books, I only read a few mangas.

Last edited by chrisc31; 08-26-19 at 07:16 PM.
Old 08-29-19, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 148 Likes on 95 Posts

I am not sure what to think of The Ones Within, currently being simulcast on Hulu. The matter-of-fact tone just seems all wrong for a show about a group of teenagers who have somehow been kidnapped and whisked away to a strange land where they suddenly have to contend with ghosts and demons and giant pandas while trying to "clear levels" and stay alive.
Old 09-02-19, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Picked up Aggretsuko on Netflix again, the second season is a little harsher than the first and not as easy to watch.
Finished the season and despite the more serious tone, or maybe because of it, it hit a little harder than the first season. Retsuko found herself in so many hard moments but she came through on her feet and that’s a better ending than the “super happy “ ending I was starting to expect. Here’s hoping for a few more seasons.
Old 09-18-19, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I started watching the new Fruits Basket I am really enjoying it.
Old 09-28-19, 04:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

As the Fall anime season is coming up shortly, I've looked into what shows are coming up: read previews, watched PVs/Trailers, read synopsis', etc... and formed a list of those that interested me.

As such here is my planned watch list for the upcoming anime season. I don't know if I'll have time for nearly this amount, but I'll be weeding out some of them listed under the "possible pick-ups" category after watching a few episodes.

Left-Overs:Definite Pick-ups:Possible Pick-ups (Pending Impressions on further PVs and/or first couple episodes):
Old 09-30-19, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've been following Dr. Stone on Toonami but will probably give up on it. Started out kind of interesting before veering into an unexpected direction.

What do people think of the news that anime is apparently leaving primetime television in Japan? American cartoons started going downhill when network television gave up on them.

https://www.otakuusamagazine.com/ani...evision-japan/
Old 09-30-19, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm not sure what you mean by "American cartoons started going downhill when network television gave up on them?" If anything, the advent of all these channels dedicated to cartoons and now streaming services means that we have more cartoons than ever before. You could maybe argue that kids cartoons have gone downhill but I don't know, even if you believe that to be true you have access to soooo many historic cartoons basically on demand.

As for primetime cartoons, eh, there are still anime slots for kids, so I dunno... As for impact over here, I don't think Doraemon or Shin chan are even translated for consumption over here (Disney XD had Doraemon for some time but it's been off the air for a long time).
Old 10-01-19, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Primetime still generates a lot of exposure to mainstream audiences. Just thinking about the long-term ramifications as anime starts getting put in its own niche, even in Japan. We've seen what happened to American comic books once they were removed from newsstands - within a generation they fell into the exclusive domain of a small and fading marketplace.
Old 10-15-19, 10:54 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is Promare supposed to be good?

Not trying to be snarky. With Alist, I decided to give the movie showing a try (subbed). I never heard of it before and knew nothing in advance of watching it, but it got good reviews online. Thought I’d give it a try.

Walked out after 70-80 minutes. Might have left earlier, but I normally don’t walk out of movies and was fighting the urge for at least 20 minutes until I couldn’t stand it anymore.

I was an anime fan from the early 80’s until mid-2000’s. Stopped when loli was all over the place. I do like recent things like Aggretauko and have revisited Kiki and Totoro in the theaters. I would say my favorite anime was Patlabor, Kimagure Orange Road, Gunbuster, etc from back in the day.

I could not stand watching Promare (I didn’t like the pacing, story, characters, non-stop movement, etc). I’m not sure if Promare is an acquired taste or if I’m just no longer in tune to modern anime like this. Normally, I’d just think “this wasn’t for me” but with so much praise it’s getting in reviews, I’m trying to understand the almost opposite reaction I had to it.
Old 10-15-19, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by greydttwo
No.

Old 10-19-19, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by greydttwo

Not trying to be snarky. With Alist, I decided to give the movie showing a try (subbed). I never heard of it before and knew nothing in advance of watching it, but it got good reviews online. Thought I’d give it a try.

Walked out after 70-80 minutes. Might have left earlier, but I normally don’t walk out of movies and was fighting the urge for at least 20 minutes until I couldn’t stand it anymore.

I was an anime fan from the early 80’s until mid-2000’s. Stopped when loli was all over the place. I do like recent things like Aggretauko and have revisited Kiki and Totoro in the theaters. I would say my favorite anime was Patlabor, Kimagure Orange Road, Gunbuster, etc from back in the day.

I could not stand watching Promare (I didn’t like the pacing, story, characters, non-stop movement, etc). I’m not sure if Promare is an acquired taste or if I’m just no longer in tune to modern anime like this. Normally, I’d just think “this wasn’t for me” but with so much praise it’s getting in reviews, I’m trying to understand the almost opposite reaction I had to it.
Promare was co-produced by Trigger, a relatively new anime studio with a big fan following in the West mostly for two properties - Little Witch Academia and Kill la Kill. Promare was their follow-up to those beloved shows.
Haven't seen Promare, but Little Witch Academia and Kill la Kill were both very interesting programs and deserved the acclaim they got.
Old 10-19-19, 10:28 AM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 534 Likes on 470 Posts

Promare was entertaining enough for me (watched it subbed). It definitely feel like a movie catered toward Trigger fans. YMMV on musical and visual aspects (especially the 3D animation). Certain parts remind me of Gurren Lagann and Kill la Kill. IMO, the plot was straight forward and predictable. I'm not surprised that it did well on the box office: https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies...id=promare.htm.

And if you still want to see the movie, GKIDS and Fathom Events are doing another run on December 8 (sub): https://www.fathomevents.com/events/promare.
Old 10-22-19, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Despite having owned Food Wars for two years, I've been watching the English dub weekly on Cartoon Network for the first time. Surprisingly good show and I have little interest in cooking. One of the few anime shows with a deep cast of likable characters. 3 or 4 of them could have spin-offs.
Old 10-22-19, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Babylon has been great so far with the first three episodes that premiered ahead of broadcast. I waited though to watch them until this week because I didn't want to wait 3 weeks for episode 4. Reminds me a lot of Psycho-Pass in some ways.

Phantasy Star Online 2: Episode of Oracle has been so-so thus far.

Dr. Stone just seems to get better and better with every episode.
Old 10-27-19, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just watched the anime film The case of Hana & Alice from Gkids. I recommend watching the film it turned out to be a good story. Its Sub-only which I didn't notice till I started watching.

I would have bought this when it was released but I didn't know about its release until I browsed Amazon the other day and it was only listed as a Shout Factory film and not Gkids film.
I also preordered Millennium Actress and Summer Days with Coo.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.