Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Anime Talk
Reload this Page >

What anime have you watched or/are currently watching?

Community
Search
Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

What anime have you watched or/are currently watching?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-16, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts
Re: What anime have you watched or/are currently watching?

Originally Posted by fujishig
Is the second season of GATE a lot better? Seemed like a bunch of political/national posturing about how infallible and altruistic the JSDF is. Did the guys in the other world actually start to put up a fight against the tanks and whatnot?
Honestly I prefer the second cour. Still no announcement on a real season 2 though. The second cour seems better paced and has a lot more action. As for taking on tanks, that's pretty much impossible. However the Japanese have their hands sort of tied and as such can't really just go massacre them either. So it's up to working things out peacefully and diplomatically for the most part.
Old 03-25-16, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

At Anime Boston I walked in a a video room showing "Hanasaku Iroha", I am now hooked.
Old 03-25-16, 08:13 PM

Received 513 Likes on 369 Posts

I doubt GATE will come back for another season. They gave it an anime original ending that wrapped everything up pretty well.
Old 03-25-16, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah... but still....

Spoiler in case anyone haven't seen it yet.

Spoiler:
The end showed the brother still on loose and I would want to see what princess (now crowned) will do to him...

Oh, by the way, Eraser also ended the series. It's unfortunately because it made me wanting to see more of it.
Old 03-28-16, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It seems Ace of Diamond ended the series today. They're one of my favorite sport anime. The author is actually former baseball player and he used some of his experience in this anime.

I also caught up on Fairy Tail. I actually like this series better than Naruto Shippuden - if I had to compare them.
Old 03-28-16, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by McHawkson
I also caught up on Fairy Tail. I actually like this series better than Naruto Shippuden - if I had to compare them.
Fairy Tail 2 ended on ep 102 (aka 277 if you count first series in the numbers) this last Friday by the way.
Old 03-28-16, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No shit. They're not going to continue? Or did they continues in manga?
Old 03-28-16, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by McHawkson
No shit. They're not going to continue? Or did they continues in manga?
I figure it's just taking a break and will return with FT 3 when there is more manga chapters available in like a year like they did before.

There is still 3 OVAs and a Movie planned for Fairy Tail to be released this year though. =)
Old 03-31-16, 06:55 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Currently watching the Touhou fanime.
Old 04-02-16, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Rage of Bahamut: Genesis has a lot to like for Western audiences, though its muddled angels and demons mythology takes some getting used to. The characters each have their own personalities and the plotting is fairly strong.

It does feature some of the stronger animation I've seen of late. They really must have blown the budget on the first episode.
Old 04-03-16, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Watching Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash. So far its pretty good.
Old 04-03-16, 10:28 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Late to it, but binge watching my way through Bleach.

I'm up to season 4 now, episode 65. Overall enjoying it..
Old 04-03-16, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Watching One Punch. Funny show.
Old 04-04-16, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,494 Posts

I like Fairy Tale in manga form (via Crunchyroll manga). What are they up to, the first master flashback arc?
Old 04-04-16, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Anime - they ended at The Message of Flame (issue #419, manga). Manga continued to issue #480 and they seems to keep updated twice or thrice a month (at mangareader.net).
Old 04-05-16, 09:43 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Caught the first episode of Sailor Moon Crystal season 3 yesterday on Crunchyroll. Off to a good start. I think they are still doing the format of 2 weeks between episodes like they did for the first run of episodes.
Old 04-25-16, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just started Rage of Bahamut Genesis. I cant remember the last time I saw a series that was this well animated.
Old 05-01-16, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just finished Grimgar. I really enjoyed this one.
Old 05-08-16, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Thrush
Just started Rage of Bahamut Genesis. I cant remember the last time I saw a series that was this well animated.
That first episode looks nearly theatrical quality. Some amazingly fluid animation for television anime. There are also some tasty battles deeper into the series.

I recently completed Terror In Resonance and was really impressed by it. It's not quite the masterpiece I think its creator intended due to a weakly explained antagonist, but the plot pulls together in an unexpectedly clean finish. If you are looking for a sophisticated thriller about modern terrorism in Japan, you can't get much better. A few minor changes and the story could easily be made into a Hollywood movie.
Old 05-16-16, 09:35 AM

I just finished watching "Summer wars" as well as "The Girl Who Leapt Through Time". Both excellent films.
Old 05-20-16, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 146 Likes on 93 Posts

I'm about halfway through .hack//SIGN (my first exposure to anything .hack). It's a bit dull, and I'm much more interested in the supporting characters than Tsukasa. While I don't particularly like the OP, I appreciate the amount of effort put into the overall soundtrack, something that is sorely lacking in most modern series.
Old 05-24-16, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am watching TRINITY SEVEN for the first time, I don't know how I could have missed this, just two days ago I watched Blade Dance of the Elementalers now both are in my Rightstuf shopping cart waiting for a sale. You know that feeling that you feel like you have been living under a rock? both of them was simulcast by Crunchyroll to.

Last edited by chrisc31; 05-25-16 at 03:40 AM.
Old 05-27-16, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by tripplej
I just finished watching "Summer wars" as well as "The Girl Who Leapt Through Time". Both excellent films.
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time is awesome, one of the best anime movies ever made. I think Summer Wars is a little overrated to be honest. A little too much pastoral family drama for my tastes.

Originally Posted by printerati
I'm about halfway through .hack//SIGN (my first exposure to anything .hack). It's a bit dull, and I'm much more interested in the supporting characters than Tsukasa. While I don't particularly like the OP, I appreciate the amount of effort put into the overall soundtrack, something that is sorely lacking in most modern series.
I've seen bits of it but the .hack universe seems intimidating considering all the various shows that have come out with its name. What I dread is watching a show like it and feeling like I need to see every single episode of the .hack experience, even if I only marginally enjoy it.
Old 05-27-16, 03:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time is awesome, one of the best anime movies ever made. I think Summer Wars is a little overrated to be honest. A little too much pastoral family drama for my tastes.

I've seen bits of it but the .hack universe seems intimidating considering all the various shows that have come out with its name. What I dread is watching a show like it and feeling like I need to see every single episode of the .hack experience, even if I only marginally enjoy it.
Summer Wars was basically a rehash of the first (maybe it was the second?) Digimon movie (was only 20 minutes long). The writer reused his ideas and made a full-length movie out of it.

As for .hack// they're pretty much all stand-alone though.

.hack//SIGN started it all.

.hack//LIMINALITY was just a 4 part OVA included with the .hack// PS2 video games. LIMINALITY showcased only what happens in the real world as a side-effect of the game world.

.hack//Legend of The Twilight Bracelet was more or less a light spin-off series which featured new characters utilizing legendary avatars from the game series.

.hack//ROOTS is tied in with the .hack//GU video games and features an entirely separate cast and story from the rest.

.hack//QUANTUM is just a fanservice OVA to refresh milking fans of the franchise. They reuse the popular avatar, but this time make it a girl.

Then there is the CG movie called .hack//Beyond the World. I still haven't gotten around to watching this one yet though so can't really say anything about it other than it once again utilizes the popular avatar of the guy when green hair in a orange outfit, but like each iteration, it's likely an all new character with a different name playing the avatar.

I've liked the franchise a lot, but honestly they're pretty much the same premise over and over and utilize the same character designs.

The only ones you really should definitely watch would be SIGN and ROOTS. Possibly even Legend of the Twilight Bracelet if you don't mind a bit more light-hearted fun... but the rest of the entries are really just there to milk it.
Old 05-27-16, 04:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I watched The Girl Who Leapt Through Time a few years ago after I bought the Bandai release. I can't remember what its about, I need to watch it again.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.