Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Anime Talk
Reload this Page >

What anime have you watched or/are currently watching?

Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

What anime have you watched or/are currently watching?

Old 01-26-23, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Re: What anime have you watched or/are currently watching?

Yes, it is very frustrating to me that Netflix keeps pushing this series on me, and I have already watched it. Every time it gets a banner, I think they finally have new episodes. The worst is that yesterday it was showing up as having 12 episodes available! I eagerly clicked to watch the new episodes, but they weren't there.
Old 02-04-23, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 784 Likes on 658 Posts

I had an absolute blast with Akiba Maid War! Some of the most fun I've had from an anime in a long, long time. Fantastic opening and closing songs as well. A deliciously wicked satire of maid cafes in Akihabara acting as fronts for organized crime in a gang war. Fairly intricate storytelling laced with terribly funny pitch-black humor.

One show I'm definitely getting on Blu-ray. Moe moe kyun!

Last edited by PhantomStranger; 02-04-23 at 09:30 PM.
Old 02-13-23, 08:00 PM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 521 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by WTK
Originally Posted by spainlinx0
Also, I enjoyed the first 7 episodes of Uncle From Another World. Would love to see that get some more episodes.
I feel it's underrated series. It has been impacted by multiple production delays (reported to be COVID-19 related). The series started in the summer and it's still incomplete. Episode 13 (last episode) is still in TBA status.

Netflix was streaming the series with 2-week delay (vs Japan broadcast). They never resumed the episodes (episode 8+). Additional episodes (should be episode 8 to 12) reportedly will be streaming January 30 (not officially confirmed).

Uncle from Another World episode 13 to broadcast March 8, 2023 in Japan.

https://isekaiojisan.com/news/index00860000.html

It's unclear what Netflix is going to. Episode 8 to 12 remains unavailable.
Old 02-15-23, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Spy Classroom is a great ongoing series at the moment. The premise is neatly executed as a master spy has to teach a rag-tag group of young female cast-offs from other spy academies and prepare them for a deadly mission.
Old 02-15-23, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fujishig
I don't think the american Mars Bar is exactly the same as the Snickers Almond, but that might just be nostalgia talking.
???
Old 02-16-23, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts

Ha, sorry wrong thread again. No idea how that even happened as I don't remember even visiting this thread yesterday.

I'm rewatching Gundam: Witch of Mercury again dubbed in another effort to get my kids into Gundam. Though I am curious what they'll think about the ending of the cour...
Old 02-27-23, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Infinite Dendrogram is one of the better Sword Art Online clones I've seen. Feels inspired by SAO's first season.
Old 03-02-23, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Finished High School of the Dead last night and started Fruits Basket (the newer one).
Old 03-05-23, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Check out Immoral Guild if you enjoy lighthearted ecchi with a heart of gold. The young adventurer/protector of a small town is saddled with a harem of incompetent assistants and understudies. Funny show if you can handle the fan service. I guess you could say it borrows from Konosuba a bit, somewhat of the same vibe.
Old 03-25-23, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Dropped Fruits Basket about 9 eps in, it was turning into a real slog to get through each episode.
Not sure what I will start next.
Old 03-29-23, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Been rolling straight through The Eminence in Shadow. Wild wish fulfillment power fantasy, melding Batman and magic. Definitely some Western movie influence - one place in it is called the Dark Knight Academy. The backstory doesn't really make much sense but once you get into the action you don't care. Fun show.
Old 04-24-23, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

In case anyone didn't notice, the last episode of Uncle from Another World finally aired. I think this show is hilarious, and I hope we get a second season soon.

Also, I finally watched Cyberpunk, and I enjoyed that quite a bit as well.
Old 08-31-23, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Kids went back to school finally so I started Mushoku Tensei again... I don't mind some ecchi but man it feels like it just gets in the way of what is otherwise an interesting and nicely animated fantasy series.

And while not technically anime, excited to watch Netflix's One Piece with my kids tonight.
Old 10-23-23, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am watching "Love Flops", I have no idea how I missed it when it was airing last year its among one of my favorites animes in the past few years.
Old 10-26-23, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The Demon Sword Master of Excalibur Academy - This is currently airing, the protagonist is a demon lord who has been asleep for a 1000 years and wakes up to find humanity is fighting a war with monsters called Voids. Reborn in a young human body, he's developing a harem inside a military training academy for gifted students. Kind of a reverse Overlord situation set inside a student academy with the usual juvenile antics. My opinion so far is positive but the season's not even halfway through, it could grow boring depending on where they go with the war.
Old 11-14-23, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I love the manga, but I've still been pleasantly surprised by Frieren: Beyond Journey's End. What a great slow paced (intentionally) yet beautifully drawn series.

Basically the hero's team has beaten the Demon Lord. The elf in the party has a huge lifespan, and so considered their 10 year journey to be nothing but a small moment in time, and she realizes decades later that this is not true for the rest of the party, so she sets out to learn to connect with humanity in a way she never had before by just... traveling around.

Also looking forward to Dungeon Meshi/Delicious in Dungeon though it is not nearly as close to the source material art-wise as Frieren is.
Old 11-30-23, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Banished from the Hero's Party, I Decided to Live a Quiet Life in the Countryside - Long title aside, this anime took me by surprise for going against many trends. There's an actual relationship which develops without most of the nonsense we normally get while there's a nice mix of fantasy action, drama, comedy and even a little slice-of-life. Kind of feels like the side story in a Japanese RPG like Final Fantasy. Enjoyable first season, recommended if you like this genre.
Old 12-18-23, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I just sailed through the first season of Love After World Domination. Absolutely fun show if you want to see a send-up of sentai action married to a slice-of-life high school romcom. The leader of the sentai squad secretly falls in love with the leader of the villain squad and they end up having to hide their relationship from both sides.

It also looks great on Blu-ray, the brightly colored uniform colors really pop. A little trick I've discovered is that most newer anime looks much better if you have a 4K television which has a mode which can "fake" HDR on regular HD sources.
Old 12-23-23, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Trapped In A Dating Sim: The World of Otome Games Is Tough for Mobs - Okay, the title makes far more sense for most if you read it as Trapped In A Dating Sim: The World of Otome Games Is Tough for Background Characters. Anyway, a teenager dies and is reborn as a background character in one of the Otome games his sister forced him to play. This was okay though sub-plots come and go without much rhyme or reason, including a fairly big sub-plot which is just dropped. I assume they are saving it if they ever get a second season, which apparently is coming soon? I think the premise had more potential than what we get from season one, which was interesting enough for me to finish the season but what I wouldn't consider essential.
Old 12-26-23, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I sat down and plowed through the first 24 episodes of Mushoku Tensei. I understand a good chunk of season two has already aired but I'll likely wait until it hits Blu-ray.

The buzz on this show has been very strong for the past couple years and I had put off watching for quite a while. I have mixed feelings, at times Mushoku Tensei transcends its isekai roots with serious character depth and sophisticated storytelling. What started out as breathless viewing the first dozen episodes or so became a much tougher slog for me during the back half of season one. It's a sprawling world with too many characters I'd say for the limitations of the commercial anime format. I probably would have shaved off a couple of the supporting characters and sub-plots for tighter plotting.

Worth a look for most any anime fan into fantasy adventure but it's not going to land in my top ten, or even top twenty, anime. The character beats feel a bit repetitive and Rudy becomes less and less interesting as the primary protagonist the deeper you get into the series. I'll also suggest I disliked the voice actor for Man-God in the Japanese audio. It's not hard guessing where that story arc is eventually headed.

The animation is quite interesting, appearing to emulate an older animation aesthetic from the 1990s with simulated grain and softer linework from the days anime was made on cels.
Old 12-26-23, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Mushoku Tensei has great animation and enough of a story that I would recommend it to almost any isekai fan... except for all the fan service, which is heightened by the isekai nature of the story (though this does play a major part in the story)

I'm kind of surprised, though, I thought the show picked up in the back half of season 1, though it did shift gears and reset. It's still, to me, one of the better done isekai's where the MC is just overpowered from the start. I'm probably just a sucker for story beats where that kind of MC meets someone who just completely overwhelms him, which opens up the world a ton.

edited to add: oops, corrected the title of the anime I was talking about...

Last edited by fujishig; 12-27-23 at 08:21 AM.
Old 12-26-23, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Konosuba has great animation and enough of a story that I would recommend it to almost any isekai fan... except for all the fan service, which is heightened by the isekai nature of the story (though this does play a major part in the story)

I'm kind of surprised, though, I thought the show picked up in the back half of season 1, though it did shift gears and reset. It's still, to me, one of the better done isekai's where the MC is just overpowered from the start. I'm probably just a sucker for story beats where that kind of MC meets someone who just completely overwhelms him, which opens up the world a ton.
I believe season three is coming in 2024.
Old 12-27-23, 12:21 AM
WTK

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Konosuba has great animation and enough of a story that I would recommend it to almost any isekai fan... except for all the fan service, which is heightened by the isekai nature of the story (though this does play a major part in the story)

Season 3: April 2024

LINK
Old 12-27-23, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Oops I meant Mushoku Tensei but somehow typed Konosuba, so that may have been a bit confusing.

Looking forward to the next season of Konosuba too though.
Old 12-27-23, 09:30 AM
WTK

Oops I meant Mushoku Tensei but somehow typed Konosuba, so that may have been a bit confusing.
Season 2, Part 2 is also coming April 2024.

LINK
The following users liked this post:
fujishig (12-27-23)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.