Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Anime Talk
Reload this Page >

What anime have you watched or/are currently watching?

Community
Search
Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

What anime have you watched or/are currently watching?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-22, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts
Re: What anime have you watched or/are currently watching?

If anime clumsily handles any one subject worse than others, it's religious elements. Especially Western religions like Christianity. More often than not anime would be better off leaving it alone.

I just finished one of the most ridiculously violent combat anime, Killing Bites. Over the top and insanely bloody. Humans enhanced with animal DNA battle in a fight-to-the-death tournament as representatives of the four controlling factions which manage Japan. I wish they hadn't made the milquetoast male protagonist so useless and irrelevant, the narrative is driven by the top female fighter.

The show had actually won me over until a befuddling and shocking final coda, clearly designed to set up another season. Not a great show but there are some interesting moments.
Old 02-27-22, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I gave Divine Gate three episodes and nothing ever remotely interesting hooked me, so I'm unlikely to finish the series up. I should have known being an "adaptation" of a videogame made for smartphones. A brooding male protagonist and confusing, haphazard lore are the show's most prominent features. I've learned over the years videogame adaptations rarely work out.
Old 03-03-22, 12:56 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

As I mentioned in the TV talk forum, I just watched Super Crooks on Netflix, which takes place in the same Universe as Mark Millar’s Jupiter Legacy. The anime is so much better than Netflix’s live show they probably should have kept Jupiter’s Legacy animated as well.
Old 03-08-22, 03:51 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

about finished with watching season 3 of Attack on Titan. just started watching the old original Gundam on crunchyroll.

after Attack on Titan Season 3, im taking a break from that show then might start watching Naruto for the heck of it

Old 03-08-22, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I might finish Attack On Titan. I left it after season one and haven't been tempted back, but it does seem popular enough.
Old 03-09-22, 01:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I might finish Attack On Titan. I left it after season one and haven't been tempted back, but it does seem popular enough.
It’s popular but I got bored with it somewhere in the 3rd season.
Old 03-12-22, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've finished up the first season of a well-done series, The Quintessential Quintuplets. More of a feel-good romcom than its premise implies, a straight-A student ends up tutoring five identical sisters with very different personalities and interests. Without spoiling things, I was shocked to learn who the tutor ultimately ends up marrying in the manga.

It's nothing like the other high school harem shows I've come across, each character is nicely fleshed out. Shades of screwball comedy help lighten the tone. Recommended if you aren't looking for serious fare.
Old 03-23-22, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts

I gotta say, between the perceived Japan over Korea nationalism and the actual plotline, Ranking of Kings better have an excellent next set of episodes because it has slid way way downhill plotwise. What the heck was the author thinking?
Old 03-24-22, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Re-watching Tenchi Muyo OVA with our 14 yo. The pacing is more deliberate and easygoing than so many modern shows, but it's still fun.
Old 03-27-22, 11:56 PM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 534 Likes on 470 Posts

Kotaro Lives Alone is probably one of the best anime series that Netflix (https://www.netflix.com/title/81275353) has released recently. On the surface, it feels like it should be an innocent slice of life series. It's more than that. It really has an interesting blend of comedic/heartwarming and heartbreaking moments.

Old 04-23-22, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Animes I am watching this season for now, I might drop one or two

Spy X Family, this is one of the best animes of the season. the little girl Anya is really adorable.
A Couple of Cuckoos
The Executioner and Her Way of Life

Summer Time Rendering
Skeleton Knight in Another World

The Greatest Demon Lord Is Reborn as a Typical Nobody
The Dawn of the Witch

Last edited by chrisc31; 04-23-22 at 06:53 PM.
The following users liked this post:
PhantomStranger (04-24-22)
Old 04-24-22, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

deleted

Last edited by Koby; 08-12-22 at 02:30 PM.
Old 04-24-22, 09:40 PM
WTK

IMO, SPY x FAMILY lives up to its hype. As mentioned already, Anya is adorable. The character dynamic has been great so far. Series is simulcasting on Crunchyroll https://www.crunchyroll.com/spy-x-family & Hulu https://www.hulu.com/series/spy-fami...c-eae39f6c60e9.

Summer Time Rendering isn't currently legally streaming outside of Japan. Disney+ will be streaming the series in the future (TBA). My guess is Part 1 in the summer and Part 2 in the fall (series is 25 episodes). Black Rock Shooter: Dawn Fall is the other Disney+ series and streaming is also TBA. Disney+ (outside of Japan) is being secretive of how they will be handling the various anime series this year.

My underrated series this season is Ya Boy Kongming!. So far it has been an very entertaining isekai series involving an aspiring singer and a famed general from the Three Kingdoms. The OP/ED animation is also catchy. Series is simulcasting on HIDIVE https://www.hidive.com/tv/ya-boy-kongming.

Old 04-27-22, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am going to see Pompo: The Cinéphile in the theater tonight. It sucks I didn't go see Belle and Sing a Bit of Harmony in the theatersbut that was a bad month and I got Belle on preorder already
Old 05-04-22, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

My Crunchyroll subscription is ending, so I am finishing up Shenmue. I might binge through OddTaxi if that’s good, any thoughts on that?
Old 05-05-22, 02:30 PM
WTK

Originally Posted by bluetoast
My Crunchyroll subscription is ending, so I am finishing up Shenmue. I might binge through OddTaxi if that’s good, any thoughts on that?
I thought it was an entertaining series (with an interesting twist towards the end). A world of anthropomorphic animals with a walrus taxi driver as the main character. This series have been mentioned as underrated from 2021. I think it's worth check out (at least the first couple episodes).

The following users liked this post:
bluetoast (05-05-22)
Old 05-05-22, 10:27 PM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by WTK
IMO, SPY x FAMILY lives up to its hype. As mentioned already, Anya is adorable. The character dynamic has been great so far. Series is simulcasting on Crunchyroll https://www.crunchyroll.com/spy-x-family & Hulu https://www.hulu.com/series/spy-fami...c-eae39f6c60e9.
This has been my favorite show of the current season. The story's fun, characters are great, and the animation's fantastic.
Old 05-07-22, 12:12 AM
WTK

It's one of my favorites this season. It's currently a 25 episode series (reported split-cour; 2nd half in the fall).

For the curious, "x" in SPY x FAMILY is not pronounced. It's basically SPY FAMILY. Past examples include Hunter x Hunter (Hunter Hunter) and xxxHOLiC (HOLiC).
Old 05-07-22, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

SPY x FAMILY episode 5 is the best one yet.
Old 05-08-22, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by WTK
Does Crunchyroll do subscriptions for 3 months or an Annual Subscription anymore? I only see Monthly Subscriptions.
Old 05-08-22, 10:20 AM
WTK

Originally Posted by chrisc31
Does Crunchyroll do subscriptions for 3 months or an Annual Subscription anymore? I only see Monthly Subscriptions.
It should still be available. They're still selling the 12-month gift subscription: https://store.crunchyroll.com/produc...=9848706007084. I would contact them directly if you're having issues.
Old 05-08-22, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by WTK
It should still be available. They're still selling the 12-month gift subscription: https://store.crunchyroll.com/produc...=9848706007084. I would contact them directly if you're having issues.
Buying a 3 month gift card is perfect, they should create a better description for the gift card when you search for it in the store. if you don't click on the gift card it only looks like you can buy a one month subscription for $7.99, I hate the Layout for the Crunchyroll Beta.
I am used to buying myself gift cards for when I buy stuff on PlayStation Store, I didn't want to make it easy to buy games I may not play much. When I used to play PlayStation and I was always looking forward for a new Senran kagura game to come out.

Last edited by chrisc31; 05-08-22 at 03:10 PM.
Old 05-09-22, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by WTK
Kotaro Lives Alone is probably one of the best anime series that Netflix (https://www.netflix.com/title/81275353) has released recently. On the surface, it feels like it should be an innocent slice of life series. It's more than that. It really has an interesting blend of comedic/heartwarming and heartbreaking moments.

Just finished Kotaro and started Carole and Tuesday.
Old 05-12-22, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

+3 for Crunchyroll, I can watch the new episodes of The Greatest Demon Lord Is Reborn as a Typical Nobody, The Dawn of the Witch, and Skeleton Knight in Another World before I can watch them were I used to before.
Old 05-22-22, 08:01 PM
Banned

I just finished Made in Abyss including the Dawn of the Deep Soul movie. I enjoyed the series, but wasn’t too big on the movie which focused more on defeating a single enemy rather than exploration of the pit. Beautifully animated and a good English dub.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.