Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Anime Talk
Reload this Page >

What anime have you watched or/are currently watching?

Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

What anime have you watched or/are currently watching?

Old 07-06-21, 10:05 PM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 151 Likes on 134 Posts
Re: What anime have you watched or/are currently watching?

Originally Posted by TheBigDave View Post
I just watched the new Demon Slayer: Mugen Train movie at Funimation. I'm surprised they put a new release movie on their streaming service.
On April 27th, digital purchase was made available via the Playstation Store. It was suppose to be an early digital pre-order (along with Apple TV and Microsoft Store). Someone (Aniplex of America, Funimation, or another third party service) screwed up and people were able to play the movie right after purchase. Within a hour or so, the movie (high quality with official subtitles) was getting pirated. This might have effect on the U.S. theatrical run (started April 23). This was also before Japan's home video release (June 16). I thought this would have been bigger news. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with Funimation streaming the movie on their site or not.
Old 07-08-21, 02:36 PM

Received 311 Likes on 221 Posts

This is going to be a good season. The Slime show, Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, and My Next Life as a Villainess all had great returns. I'm glad to see those back, especially Dragon Maid. I'm really happy to get a new show from KyoAni.

Seirei Gensouki and How a Realist Hero Rebuilt the Kingdom both had a decent start. I'll probably keep up with those.

I was surprised at how good TSUKIMICHI -Moonlit Fantasy- turned out. It's a typical OP MC Isekai Comedy. And lately those have been getting really lazy adaptations. But this one has good animation and it's really funny. I'm looking forward to watching this.

On the other hand, Drug Store in Another World - The Slow Life of a Cheat Pharmacist is the exact opposite. Bad animation, no laughs, and the story's all over the place. That one's a waste of time.
Old 07-08-21, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 530 Likes on 404 Posts

Weíve been slowly going through Ghost Stories. Itís funny but itís so offensive we have to give it a break between episodes.
Old 07-17-21, 05:55 PM

The Stranger By The Shore is another new release movie just added to the Funimation streaming service.

https://www.funimation.com/shows/the...-by-the-shore/

I wonder if they'll add Josee, the Tiger and the Fish soon.
Old 07-17-21, 11:55 PM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 151 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave View Post
The Stranger By The Shore is another new release movie just added to the Funimation streaming service.

https://www.funimation.com/shows/the...-by-the-shore/
I think Japan (Fuji Creative Corp.) allowed Funimation to skip the theatrical release. It doesn't always happen. Some recent straight to streaming examples from Fuji Creative include A Whisker Away (Netflix) and given Movie (Crunchyroll).

I wonder if they'll add Josee, the Tiger and the Fish soon.
Limited theatrical release just finished up (July 12 to 14). Streaming right after is likely a maybe. There may be a better chance of home video release happening first (JP BD & DVD: August 25).
Old 07-27-21, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just watched Snow White with the Red Hair, I really like this anime that I'm going to buy the blu-ray, its very similar to The Saint's Magic Power is Omnipotent that I also recently watched. I have been trying new animes for the past few months that I know nothing about. he Red Hairw White with the RedSnow White with the Red Hair Hairnow White with the Red Hair
Old 09-28-21, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 277 Posts

I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the first season of Hinamatsuri. A yakuza ends up taking care of a powerful young girl with telekinetic powers. That sounds like it would be an action-packed thriller like The Professional but it's really a sweet, endearing adult comedy. There's a keen sense of wit and humor.

Happy to hear they are making another season.
Old 10-11-21, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 148 Posts

Getting back into the mix with Jujutsu Kaisen.

Hopefully I'll be able to finish up the Season 1 by the end of the week.
Old 10-11-21, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Finally watching the Heaven's Feel series of movies for Fate/stay night. I'm a huge fan of the franchise but I had been holding off on watching this particular series, which is more of the Sakura route. Satisfying and feels right in line with Fate/stay zero. I'm liking it better than the series adaptation for Unlimited Blade Works.
Old 10-12-21, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 837 Likes on 662 Posts

So I was kind of surprised Demon Slayer came back already, but it turns out that they are just retelling the Mugen Train movie story in episodic format with some new animation. The first episode is basically all new though following Rengoku right before he boards the train for the movie. And the next arc post movie, the Entertainment District, isn't out until December.

Can't say I'm a fan of that but I can completely understand milking it, and it's not like the animation they put in isn't stellar so ok.
Old 10-12-21, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Demon Slayer is such a monster hit I understand milking the franchise.

Speaking of stellar animation, the fight between Saber and Berserker in the second Heaven's Feel movie is the best animated fight ever produced. Ufotable really outdid themselves on a budget that is likely leagues cheaper than anything Disney has ever dreamed.
Old 10-18-21, 03:28 PM

Speaking of Demon Slayer, have you seen these Nezuko popcorn buckets from Universal Studios Japan?

https://tdrexplorer.com/demon-slayer...studios-japan/

Old 10-25-21, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am watching "Redo of Healer" When I saw it was Licensed by Maiden Japan I thought it was a Hentai with a much better story and sex scenes then most lol, Episodes 2 and 12 are a little shocking.
With this anime and the OVA of Kiss x Sis getting licensed I now wonder what Wouldn't get licensed in North America?

Last edited by chrisc31; 10-26-21 at 08:02 AM.