Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Anime Talk
Reload this Page >

What anime have you watched or/are currently watching?

Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

What anime have you watched or/are currently watching?

Old 08-27-20, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts
Re: What anime have you watched or/are currently watching?

Found WorldEnd very enjoyable and satisfying, layered with adventure, romance and even slice-of-life touches. Kind of wish it had gotten two seasons because there's enough plot for more. The anime is set up with an interesting premise, five hundred years after waves of "beasts" ravaged the surface world and more or less wiped out humanity. Now animal creatures live on floating island ships in the sky. Extensive worldbuilding for a one season series.
Old 08-27-20, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I found WorldEnd to be devoid of character development and lacking in actually building the world. Just fell flat to me.
Old 09-11-20, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post

I finished (finally) Darling in the Franxx. That certainly was a complete change in direction the last few episodes. They at least gave some reasoning behind the hentai-esque piloting arrangement.
Darling in the Franxx turned out far more interesting than I initially thought - it's one of the few anime I've wanted to immediately rewatch after finishing it off. As you alluded, there's a major change in the final few episodes that almost comes out of nowhere. I wonder if that plot was intended to be saved for a possible third season but they wanted to give viewers a reasonable conclusion to the saga. The anime provides a lot of of food for thought, the entire show ends up being a blistering critique and deconstruction of trends in contemporary Japanese society.

Apparently there were major creative differences behind the scenes with the director and the animators.
Old 09-16-20, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
Darling in the Franxx turned out far more interesting than I initially thought - it's one of the few anime I've wanted to immediately rewatch after finishing it off. As you alluded, there's a major change in the final few episodes that almost comes out of nowhere.
I gave up after the first three or four episodes because of how idiotic it was. How much more would I need to suffer through before it turns around?
Old 09-16-20, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 342 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by printerati View Post
I gave up after the first three or four episodes because of how idiotic it was. How much more would I need to suffer through before it turns around?
It depends on the reasons why you stopped in the first place. The BS with teenaged pilots having to be in coitus positions doesn't go away, though they do try to explain it at least.
Old 09-16-20, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by printerati View Post
The first few episodes are a little rough, no doubt. The show really gets going once they start delving into the background of the Parasites (teen mecha pilots) and their designed purpose. It starts moving away from mindless mech battles and starts going into more character development.

Once the whole premise gets laid out, virtually everything has a purpose that makes sense.
Old 09-18-20, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ended up watching the made-for-Netflix anime, B: The Beginning. It comes to Blu-ray next month from Shout Factory in dual editions, including an insanely expensive Ultimate edition. Kind of a cool suspense thriller with fantasy elements, though the visuals are better put together than the messy backstory. Ambitious storytelling, though you get the feeling they bit off more than they could chew with some of the story arcs.

Definitely worth checking out for the action and animation, even if you roll your eyes at some of the plot twists.

https://www.doblu.com/2020/09/18/b-t...lu-ray-review/
Old 09-18-20, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Ended up watching the made-for-Netflix anime, B: The Beginning. It comes to Blu-ray next month from Shout Factory in dual editions, including an insanely expensive Ultimate edition. Kind of a cool suspense thriller with fantasy elements, though the visuals are better put together than the messy backstory. Ambitious storytelling, though you get the feeling they bit off more than they could chew with some of the story arcs.

Definitely worth checking out for the action and animation, even if you roll your eyes at some of the plot twists.
B: The Beginning to me felt like it was two separate series in one. You had the detective plot and then the supernatural plot. Both were decent on their own and could've been individual series... but when they merged into one it just went downhill from there. Ended up being a typical average anime and I have no desire to revisit the series if/when additional seasons happen.
Old 09-19-20, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Koby View Post
B: The Beginning to me felt like it was two separate series in one. You had the detective plot and then the supernatural plot. Both were decent on their own and could've been individual series... but when they merged into one it just went downhill from there. Ended up being a typical average anime and I have no desire to revisit the series if/when additional seasons happen.
I can see that perspective. I also thought they pulled some punches with certain character developments so they could come back for a possible season two.
Old 09-19-20, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can see that perspective. I also thought they pulled some punches with certain character developments so they could come back for a possible season two.
I have B: The Beginning on pre-order, I really don't have a clue what the anime is about but I will give my opinion after I watch it. I ordered it becouse I buy most animes from Shout Factory, I also do that for GKids, and Eleven Arts
Old 09-20-20, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by chrisc31 View Post
I have B: The Beginning on pre-order, I really don't have a clue what the anime is about but I will give my opinion after I watch it. I ordered it becouse I buy most animes from Shout Factory, I also do that for GKids, and Eleven Arts
It's an interesting watch that some will really like. I'm not sure how much replay value it has and I think Shout Factory priced the Ultimate edition way too high.
Old 10-12-20, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's an interesting watch that some will really like. I'm not sure how much replay value it has and I think Shout Factory priced the Ultimate edition way too high.
I am over half was through watching B: The Beginning, I normally never watch psychopath murder mystery animes, I only bought it because Shout Factory released it. I really don't have an opinion to share on the anime because I normally avoid these but I am watching it.

I watched The Wonderland film from Eleven Arts the other day, it was an odd story but good. The film didn't really explain what was going on.
Old 10-18-20, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I saw The Wonderland for sale the other day at Best Buy and almost picked it up. Looks interesting but I haven't heard much about it.
Old 10-18-20, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

B: The Beginning was good actually, I would have never seen it without an English dub though. Shout! Factory and Anime Limited new license Bartender doesn't look like it would be getting a dub, I would have to watch an episode before i decide to get it since I don't know anything about it.