Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Anime Talk
Reload this Page >

What anime have you watched or/are currently watching?

Community
Search
Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

What anime have you watched or/are currently watching?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-20, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: What anime have you watched or/are currently watching?

I just watched Promare from Gkids it was actually good, I was hesitant on buying the blu-ray but glad I did. I am about to watch AKIRA from Funimation I watched it about 20 years ago I don't remember it.

Last edited by chrisc31; 06-27-20 at 06:09 PM.
Old 06-28-20, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisc31
I just watched Promare from Gkids it was actually good, I was hesitant on buying the blu-ray but glad I did. I am about to watch AKIRA from Funimation I watched it about 20 years ago I don't remember it.
The animation from TRIGGER is awesome in Promare. The story is kind of generic but the visuals are cutting-edge stuff. A limited edition Promare Blu-ray set is coming out soon.

https://www.doblu.com/2020/05/15/pro...lu-ray-review/
Old 06-28-20, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

If you liked Promare, you'd probably like Fire Force, from the creator behind Soul Eater, who basically alluded to Trigger stealing his ideas for Promare after sharing some ideas with a friend who worked for Trigger before Fire Force began serialization.

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-ne...int-to-promare
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/int...stolen/.147773
Old 06-29-20, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Watched the first episode of Cells at Work.

It was a neat concept but didn’t really grab me. Should I try a few more eps?
Old 07-21-20, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Aggretsuko season 3 drops on Netflix on Aug 27th.
Old 07-21-20, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Started watching Cromartie High School on Amazon Prime. This was always one of my "I'd like to check it out" but never got around to it.
It's ridiculous and overdone but very funny.
Old 07-21-20, 08:05 PM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 534 Likes on 470 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Aggretsuko season 3 drops on Netflix on Aug 27th.
10 episodes (15-min)

https://moca-news.net/article/202007...072208000a_/01

Old 07-25-20, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've plowed through The Rising of The Shield Hero: Season One this week. Felt like the antithesis of That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime despite somewhat similar plot mechanics. That show had the main protagonist become insanely overpowered and beloved by practically everyone he met, while Shield Hero sees the protagonist hated from the start and metaphorically thrown to the wolves.

The first couple of episodes are rough and there aren't many likable characters in the beginning. Even the main character is a bit unlikable, though it's certainly unique for this kind of anime. It becomes far better and more entertaining once a certain character is added to the show that I won't spoil. I'd recommend Shield Hero but prepare to sit through 2-3 episodes where you wander where this is going.
Old 07-26-20, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

I think that's mainly because Reincarnated as a slime is the main Isekai trope where the main character is overpowered and Shield Hero is almost the opposite of that (though to an almost absurd level). Have you watched RE Zero? I think the second season is out but I thought that was a decent subversion of the usual Isekai as well.

Not technically anime but the unofficial Spongebob anime episode is pretty awesome.
Old 07-26-20, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fujishig
I think that's mainly because Reincarnated as a slime is the main Isekai trope where the main character is overpowered and Shield Hero is almost the opposite of that (though to an almost absurd level). Have you watched RE Zero? I think the second season is out but I thought that was a decent subversion of the usual Isekai as well.

Not technically anime but the unofficial Spongebob anime episode is pretty awesome.
RE Zero is one of the next anime on my list to watch.
Old 07-29-20, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 148 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
That show had the main protagonist become insanely overpowered and beloved by practically everyone he met
In that vein, I just finished the first season of BOFURI: I Don't Want to Get Hurt, So I'll Max Out My Defense on Hulu. A second season was announced during the end credits of the last episode. While it's humorous to watch the protagonist unintentionally become one of the game's most powerful players (much to the chagrin of the developers), there really isn't much substance to it. As far as shows about scrappy little guilds go, I was more entertained by Is It Wrong To Try To Pick Up Girls In A Dungeon?, whose characters also have more at stake since it's a "real" world and not a virtual one that can be safely left at any time.
Old 07-29-20, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by printerati
In that vein, I just finished the first season of BOFURI: I Don't Want to Get Hurt, So I'll Max Out My Defense on Hulu. A second season was announced during the end credits of the last episode. While it's humorous to watch the protagonist unintentionally become one of the game's most powerful players (much to the chagrin of the developers), there really isn't much substance to it. As far as shows about scrappy little guilds go, I was more entertained by Is It Wrong To Try To Pick Up Girls In A Dungeon?, whose characters also have more at stake since it's a "real" world and not a virtual one that can be safely left at any time.
It's still isekai in both, so even for the latter there's no real danger of the OP main character really losing
Old 07-29-20, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's still isekai in both, so even for the latter there's no real danger of the OP main character really losing
No. DanMachi is not an Isekai. All the characters are within the real world they were born in. It's not a game and they were not transported to another world. It's simply a fantasy series with RPG elements.

Isekai literally translates to different world / transported to. So DanMachi by definition is not in any shape or form an isekai series.

Last edited by Koby; 07-29-20 at 07:56 PM.
The following users liked this post:
PhantomStranger (08-06-20)
Old 07-29-20, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Koby
No. DanMachi is not an Isekai. All the characters are within the real world they were born in. It's not a game and they were not transported to another world. It's simply a fantasy series with RPG elements.

Isekai literally translates to different world / transported to. So DanMachi by definition is not in any shape or form an isekai series.
Ah, true. It has the overpowered protagonist though and almost every single one of the isekai tropes, but it is not an isekai (it's been a while since I watched it). Although it is obviously based on an rpg world complete with stats and leveling up and all that. Sorry!

In any case, the dude is in no danger.
Old 08-02-20, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I love Whilce Portacio. Loved him on X-Factor, Uncanny, even Wetworks. Love that he heroicly came back from a diabetic coma and retaught himself how to draw. However he was not the right choice for... this:

Old 08-02-20, 11:58 PM
WTK

I love Whilce Portacio. Loved him on X-Factor, Uncanny, even Wetworks. Love that he heroicly came back from a diabetic coma and retaught himself how to draw. However he was not the right choice for... this:
It was solicited last Thursday. First it showed on DeepDiscount (and other DirectToU sites). It showed up on TRSI later in the day with the additional info and artwork. The artwork feedback for the most part has been negative from Twitter/other anime news sites. It's not the first time VIZ has commissioned an artist to do a home video release. It's nothing like this though.
Old 08-03-20, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Looks absolutely terrible imo. Doesn't fit the Naruto aesthetic at all and I have no idea what those background characters are suppose to be.
Old 08-03-20, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I think those background characters are characters specific to the Naruto movies. So it's not like he just drew random stuff (at least I don't think).
Old 08-03-20, 08:38 PM
WTK

Old 08-04-20, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just finished watching Weathering With You since the Digital Download of the movie went on sale today, I didn't want to wait until November for the 4K Limited Edition I pre-ordered to see it. This is one of my top favorite anime movies
Old 08-06-20, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Finished up the Second Season of My Hero Academia.

Hope to start the third later this week.
Old 08-09-20, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just watched Ride Your Wave from Gkids it was a really cute movie. If you watched Lu over the Wall it is very similar since its from the same Director.

Last edited by chrisc31; 08-09-20 at 09:09 PM.
Old 08-10-20, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Sorry to sidetrack but my 13 yo has this on his phone lock screen and I was hoping somebody could identify it?

thanks in advance
Old 08-10-20, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Sorry to sidetrack but my 13 yo has this on his phone lock screen and I was hoping somebody could identify it?

thanks in advance
That's My Hero Academia (Boku no Hero Academia). It's basically the costumes from one of the ending themes where they're all acting like players from an rpg:

Old 08-10-20, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ah, thanks.
I've watched some episodes with him but I didn't recognize those outfits.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.