Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Anime Talk
Reload this Page >

What anime have you watched or/are currently watching?

Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

What anime have you watched or/are currently watching?

Old 02-01-19, 07:45 PM
  #876  
Moderator
 
TheBigDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Florida
Posts: 10,217
Re: What anime have you watched or/are currently watching?

I'm currently watching

The Slime show
Shield Hero
Mononokean Season 2
Kemono Friends Season 2
Wataten

I plan on catching up with Promised Neverland and the Quintuplets when I get a chance.
TheBigDave is online now  
Old 02-02-19, 09:26 PM
  #877  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
chrisc31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,299
Re: What anime have you watched or/are currently watching?

I just watched the Gkids film "The Night is Short, Walk on Girl"
It wasn't bad I was able to watch the entire movie.
chrisc31 is offline  
Old 02-03-19, 01:27 AM
  #878  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Koby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Isle de Muerta
Posts: 1,350
Re: What anime have you watched or/are currently watching?

Started The Promised Neverland.

3 episodes in, but it's shaping up to be really good so far.
Koby is online now  
Old 02-07-19, 09:38 PM
  #879  
DVD Talk Legend
 
PhantomStranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 20,670
Re: What anime have you watched or/are currently watching?

Originally Posted by chrisc31 View Post
I just watched the Gkids film "The Night is Short, Walk on Girl"
It wasn't bad I was able to watch the entire movie.
It's really for fans of The Tatami Galaxy. The same creative team behind Tatami Galaxy did The Night Is Short movie. I thought it's an okay, if wacky, movie. The first half is really entertaining, but the second half slips as you start anticipating some of the director's tricks.

The Night Is Short, Walk On Girl Blu-ray Review - DoBlu.com

PhantomStranger is offline  
Old 02-08-19, 10:20 PM
  #880  
DVD Talk Legend
 
stingermck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: NC
Posts: 14,787
Re: What anime have you watched or/are currently watching?

Highschool DXD Hero. Really enjoyed the first 3 seasons on Blu-ray and saw this one was available on Funimation streaming. Finally gave me a reason to try the free trial.
stingermck is offline  
Old 02-09-19, 03:20 AM
  #881  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Koby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Isle de Muerta
Posts: 1,350
Re: What anime have you watched or/are currently watching?

Originally Posted by stingermck View Post
Highschool DXD Hero. Really enjoyed the first 3 seasons on Blu-ray and saw this one was available on Funimation streaming. Finally gave me a reason to try the free trial.
Really seems like the type of show that is wasted by watching on their streaming platform, since they censor it there.
Koby is online now  
Old 02-11-19, 12:53 PM
  #882  
Moderator
 
TheBigDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Florida
Posts: 10,217
Re: What anime have you watched or/are currently watching?

Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid is getting a second season!

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-ne...-second-season

TheBigDave is online now  
Old 02-11-19, 12:58 PM
  #883  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 25,615
Re: What anime have you watched or/are currently watching?

Originally Posted by Koby View Post
Really seems like the type of show that is wasted by watching on their streaming platform, since they censor it there.
Are they censoring it or are they showing what aired on Japanese tv, which is what they have the rights to simulpub? IIRC there usually aren't uncensored versions until the media releases in Japan.
fujishig is offline  
Old 02-11-19, 04:40 PM
  #884  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Koby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Isle de Muerta
Posts: 1,350
Re: What anime have you watched or/are currently watching?

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Are they censoring it or are they showing what aired on Japanese tv, which is what they have the rights to simulpub? IIRC there usually aren't uncensored versions until the media releases in Japan.
Several Japanese HDTV stations such as AT-X aired uncensored versions of the show during it's airing.

Even in fansubs, groups were taking Crunchyroll rips and splicing the uncensored scenes from the HDTV airing into it to create a hybrid WEB-HDTV uncensored source because AT-X broadcast is apparently lower quality than Crunchyroll's stream.
Koby is online now  
Old 02-11-19, 04:57 PM
  #885  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 25,615
Re: What anime have you watched or/are currently watching?

Originally Posted by Koby View Post
Several Japanese HDTV stations such as AT-X aired uncensored versions of the show during it's airing.

Even in fansubs, groups were taking Crunchyroll rips and splicing the uncensored scenes from the HDTV airing into it to create a hybrid WEB-HDTV uncensored source because AT-X broadcast is apparently lower quality than Crunchyroll's stream.
That's still generally up to the Japanese licensor, though I guess if Funimation or someone had to pay more for that, they may not think it's worth it. But they're not censoring it themselves for the US market is what I was getting at.
fujishig is offline  
Old 02-11-19, 10:11 PM
  #886  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
chrisc31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,299
Re: What anime have you watched or/are currently watching?

I just watched the anime film Maquia: When The Promised Flower Blooms that was an excellent film. Tomorrow I am going to watch Lu over the wall
chrisc31 is offline  
Old 02-12-19, 07:59 AM
  #887  
DVD Talk Legend
 
stingermck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: NC
Posts: 14,787
Re: What anime have you watched or/are currently watching?

From what I read Funimation shows what they are given. Which is usually censored if the show is still airing, and then they get uncensored version when the home release is out.
stingermck is offline  
Old 02-12-19, 08:03 PM
  #888  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
chrisc31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,299
Re: What anime have you watched or/are currently watching?

I just finished watching Lu over the wall that was a really cute film.

I just pre-ordered from amazon:
Mirai, A Silent Voice, and Liz and the Blue Bird

Last edited by chrisc31; 02-12-19 at 08:09 PM.
chrisc31 is offline  
Old 02-14-19, 04:35 PM
  #889  
DVD Talk Legend
 
PhantomStranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 20,670
Re: What anime have you watched or/are currently watching?

Originally Posted by chrisc31 View Post
I just watched the anime film Maquia: When The Promised Flower Blooms that was an excellent film. Tomorrow I am going to watch Lu over the wall
I dearly loved watching Maquia: When The Promised Flower Blooms. It's now one of my favorite anime movies of all time. Beautifully animated and what a tender, bittersweet story. The Shout Factory Blu-ray has a neat little featurette with new director Mari Okada (screenwriter behind several anime like Anohana and The Anthem of the Heart) in a production meeting.

Maquia: When The Promised Flower Blooms Blu-ray Review - DoBlu.com
PhantomStranger is offline  
Old 02-14-19, 05:27 PM
  #890  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Koby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Isle de Muerta
Posts: 1,350
Re: What anime have you watched or/are currently watching?

Crunchyroll finally put up the dub for The Rising of the Shield Hero yesterday and I binged the 6 episodes that have aired. Going forward they claim it'll be same-day English dub as the simulcast.

Show seems great so far. Good thing the SJW's didn't get it killed off. They went after this show this season because "a woman in the show falsely accuses the MC of rape" and Goblin Slayer last season because "goblin rape".

Going to be tough deciding Anime of the Season between The Rising of the Shield Hero and The Promised Neverland at this current time imo.
Koby is online now  
Old 02-14-19, 06:24 PM
  #891  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 25,615
Re: What anime have you watched or/are currently watching?

Originally Posted by Koby View Post
Crunchyroll finally put up the dub for The Rising of the Shield Hero yesterday and I binged the 6 episodes that have aired. Going forward they claim it'll be same-day English dub as the simulcast.

Show seems great so far. Good thing the SJW's didn't get it killed off. They went after this show this season because "a woman in the show falsely accuses the MC of rape" and Goblin Slayer last season because "goblin rape".

Going to be tough deciding Anime of the Season between The Rising of the Shield Hero and The Promised Neverland at this current time imo.
I really like Shield Hero, from what I read of the manga... it's not revolutionary or anything but a decent subversion of the usual isekai tropes with the depression of the shield hero.

I was surprised the dub came out, and I'm even more surprised they're going to simuldub it... that seems tough to do. Like simulsub is translating and syncing it up, but getting all the voice acting together would seem to take work. I wonder how early before broadcast they get it.

fujishig is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.