Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Anime Talk
Reload this Page >

What got you into anime???

Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

What got you into anime???

Old 06-02-12, 11:44 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: What got you into anime???

I used to mess around with this girl. And one day I was at her house and I was looking at her DVD collection and she had the first 2 volumes of Cowboy Bebop and I asked her if we could watch it and she was so happy that i asked. I watched them and I was blown away. So from that point I was into anime. I kind of lost touch a few years back, but now I am seriously back into it.
Old 06-04-12, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by JGaitan82 View Post
I used to mess around with this girl. And one day I was at her house and I was looking at her DVD collection and she had the first 2 volumes of Cowboy Bebop and I asked her if we could watch it and she was so happy that i asked. I watched them and I was blown away. So from that point I was into anime. I kind of lost touch a few years back, but now I am seriously back into it.
What happened to the girl? She sounds like a keeper to me.
Old 06-04-12, 12:33 PM
Suspended

That was like 10 years. We just lost touch. I don't date girls who are into anime. Most of the women I end up with like to shop, be all girly. Things like that.
Old 06-04-12, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JGaitan82 View Post
That was like 10 years. We just lost touch. I don't date girls who are into anime. Most of the women I end up with like to shop, be all girly. Things like that.
I get it: she's a keeper; you're not!

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 06-04-12 at 04:41 PM.
Old 06-04-12, 02:35 PM

Received 161 Likes on 101 Posts

I saw a lot of anime before I knew it was anime (Nickelodeon cartoons like Maple Town, Adventures of the Little Koala and stuff like Voltron and Robotech). The first time I heard of "Japanimation" was from this kid in my middle school gym class. We would run laps and he'd go on and on about Bubblegum Crisis and Bubblegum Crash. Every day for weeks I would ask him about it and he would build it up as the greatest thing ever. Finally, he snuck his older brother's tape of it to school so I could borrow it and while it was really good and made me seek out more anime, I still think I prefer the absolute obsessive vigor with which this guy retold the show's storyline in that gym class.
Old 06-05-12, 01:38 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum View Post
I get it: she's a keeper; you're not!
Ha ha bloody ha! LOL
Old 06-28-12, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Kaleido Star was my first animes I bought I also bought on the same day Rumbling Hearts, & Maburaho back in 2007, I could even tell you the date it was the week that Kaleido Star: New wings came out. I bought the second season before I knew there was a first season, Kaleido Star was the main reason I fell in love with anime and became an anime collector. Tenchi was the first anime I liked back when it was on Cartoon Network but I never got the urge to buy it till now.

Back in 2001 I thought of when I used to watch Tenchi on Cartoon Network so I rented Tenchi from Netflix and was shocked that it was uncensored, For about a year I rented anime films from Netflix then when I joined the Navy in 2002 I stoped renting animes and grew out of it. In September 2007 I was really bored all the time, while I was at Best Buy one day I was about to leave when I remembered when I used to rent animes and thats when it all started for me. Now thats blind buying!
Old 06-29-12, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum View Post
DOG OF FLANDERS
The region 3 DVD of the theatrical anime film has English subtitles and, unlike the American DVD release, is uncut. It's worth tracking down:

http://www.yesasia.com/us/the-dog-of...0-en/info.html
Old 06-29-12, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dugan View Post
The region 3 DVD of the theatrical anime film has English subtitles and, unlike the American DVD release, is uncut. It's worth tracking down:

http://www.yesasia.com/us/the-dog-of...0-en/info.html
Pioneer released a VHS edition of DOG OF FLANDERS, uncut, in Japanese with English subs., in the U.S. I own a copy.
Old 06-29-12, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Basically a friend talked me into watching DBZ on Toonami around 1998.