Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

Easy ways to support The anime industry.

Old 01-28-12, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Easy ways to support The anime industry.

I thought of creating this thread becouse The slump the industry is in seems to be on most peoples minds. The two biggest ways to support are.

1. Write reviews or anything positive for animes you like on Amazon & Bestbuy, you don't need to buy anything you just need an account.

2. I post on Dvdtalk just for this reason, its now my favorite forum to post on out of all the other anime forums. Actually the reason I joined Dvdtalk was becouse when Clannad was released sub-only I was determined I was going to see Clannad dubbed, So you can guess what the first thread I created was.

Just look at my signature, People probably think I work in the anime industry but I post for fun, I work in a factory. I also don't want to see anymore anime companies close.
Rightstuf is also a sponsor for Dvdtalk so helping the industry keeps Rightstuf as a sponsor for Dvdtalk.

What does other people think about it, have you ever done what I said?
Old 01-28-12, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Easy ways to support The anime industry.

Easy way for the anime industry to support themselves: Have Japanese releases more affordable. Anime movies and series are extremely expensive, and the anime companies think that the otakus will buy anything at any price, and with that, they would make their money's worth.

Try lowering the price, marketing toward anime enthusiasts, but not only to the uber-anime collector who lives at home with him parents and doesn't have to pay rent or food etc.

As for non-Japan, licensing fees should be lowered or paid more attention to. Sometimes the Japanese companies don't care and have high fees for niche titles, and that just doesn't make sense...

Another, they really have to think about what should be done with past titles, streaming online, and most obviously, quality extras on releases (few and far between).
Old 01-28-12, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

^ if you look at the prices of seasons of Naruto, One Piece, & Dragon Ball Z they are cheaper then seasons of South Park, Family Guy & The Simpsons. The Simpons has 23 seasons at about $40 each and Dragon Ball Z has 9 seasons at $35 each. It makes sense that an anime that is one or two seasons long costs more per season.

Aniplex is trying to sell Fate/Zero Blu-ray Box with 13 episodes with sub-only in north america for the same price it sells in japan for $498.98, thank god Clannad Blu-ray Complete Collection with 24 episodes and a english dub only costs 89.98. I used msrp for prices, who pays that much I always wait for a 46% off sale.

Edit: i just noticed you are from japan and I can't believe anybody in Japan actually buys animes. o,O

Last edited by chrisc31; 01-28-12 at 11:12 PM.
Old 01-29-12, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Like I said, it's those live-at-home-with-parents Otakus that have the resources financially. Don't have to worry about rent, food, or dating costs. That leaves enough money for DVDs, figurines, and pop idol goods.

By the way, I'm not explaining about myself, if you're wondering...
Old 02-02-12, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It would be interesting to see if someone could break that barrier in Japan and lower media costs. The question is would it draw enough of the more casual fans to the market to make up for the loss? Do casual anime fans in Japan want to clutter their smallish living spaces with cheaper DVDs? I don't really know.

I do think they need to find a way to diversify a bit if they want to get other kinds of fans. One of the big problems I see with anime is that it's become so insular. It's either kid's cartoons or full blown otaku stuff, with an ever-diminishing middle-ground. There's only so many times you can return to the well for sequels, or count on nostalgia to drum up business, or recycle the same tropes over and over.

In the US, the best way to support the industry is to buy stuff that you like, and spread it around. But realize that anime in America is a niche, a bubble that popped, and it may never get to the same heights of popularity again. At least until nostalgia builds for all those kids who grew up on Pokemon...
Old 02-02-12, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
But realize that anime in America is a niche, a bubble that popped, and it may never get to the same heights of popularity again. At least until nostalgia builds for all those kids who grew up on Pokemon...
I have always believed north america loosing Sailor Moon was a big part of animes downturn, it never got a proper release and the fan base is huge.
Sure I watched Pokemon when I was younger but I wouldn't go back to watching it.
Old 02-04-12, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Michael Bay's movie in 2022, Pokemon: Revenge Of Team Rocket, will reignite the anime industry to new heights.

Anime simply needs more exposure in American households, and that is primarily through cable television. For many kids the only anime they have ever seen is on Cartoon Network.

Last edited by PhantomStranger; 02-05-12 at 02:46 PM.
Old 02-11-12, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How is the anime content on Netflix? Maybe that's a route to go. Offer a bunch of older series on Netflix. People looking for something to watch might decide to watch a few episodes & get hooked on anime.