DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Anime Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/anime-talk-72/)
-   -   anime bluray & dvd (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/anime-talk/584829-anime-bluray-dvd.html)

william2734 01-21-11 08:11 AM

anime bluray & dvd

if you have a bluray player do you still buy anime on dvd?

william

Sweet Baby James 01-21-11 08:34 AM

Re: anime bluray & dvd

Sure. If the price is right or if it's something that probably won't come out on Blu.

dugan 01-21-11 10:51 AM

Of course. There's a ton of anime that's out on DVD but not Blu-Ray.

Ash Ketchum 01-21-11 10:53 AM

Ditto.

william2734 01-21-11 11:17 AM

i was just wondering. i saw "aladdin" last week on the cartoon network and was blown away visually. it didn't say it was in hi-def so not sure if it was or not but it sure looked good. anyway it got me thinking about some of dinseys anime...not animation but anime and alot of what i've seen on trailers looks as good as bluray.

i do see alot of disney stuff in stores but it's not bluray and wasn't sure if it would look as good as aladdin did or not. i don't know how many saw aladdin but for those that did see it how would you compare it with other disney dvds?

william

fujishig 01-21-11 11:50 AM

By Disney's "anime" do you mean their Miyazaki stuff?

For Disney stuff, I usually get the Blu Ray but most if not all of them come with the DVD, which is a lifesaver considering the fact that my daughter is going to watch this as she grows up and we don't have a portable Blu-Ray player to take on trips (nor would the main benefit of Blu be seen on one of those players anyway). Disney's PQ has been consistently amazing. I will similarly pick up Miyazaki titles in Blu, though only Ponyo is out so far.

As for other anime, I have been picking up more titles in Blu-Ray format, but you should look at multiple reviews to try to see if the upgrade is worth it. Amazon, however, has had some incredible pricing on Blu-Ray anime releases from Funimation lately, and if the difference is only a few bucks, I go for the upgrade. If it's a significant cost, I think twice. A lot of the shows I buy only have a stereo audio mix for the Japanese track anyway. And I get REALLY annoyed by the Blu-Rays that don't have a resume function (and even worse the ones that don't support bookmarking), especially for an episodic TV series where I rarely watch an entire disc in one sitting.

Now where's Last Exile, darnit!

william2734 01-21-11 02:06 PM

things like lion king or beauty and the beast. i try to get everything on bluray but if it's only on dvd i want to be as sure as i can that it looks good and i think most of disneys anime looks pretty good on dvd.

chrisc31 01-21-11 02:46 PM

I have owned a blu-ray player for over 3 years now and not one anime I wanted came out on blu-ray yet. I do have Chobits, Last exile, and Queens Blade blu-rays on pre-order. All I have been buying are dvds and I am frustrated becouse of it.

Maxflier 01-21-11 03:12 PM

I do out of necessity as others have alluded to.
I will tell you what is frustrating though: dropping $20 a pop for each DVD volume of Claymore and then later seeing the entire series available on Blu-Ray on sale for like $30 bucks or whatever Best Buy had it for not too long ago.

william2734 01-21-11 03:55 PM

i usually buy them used at amazon for half the new price or even less and have had no problems at all. blockbuster sells used bluray also.

fujishig 01-21-11 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by william2734 (Post 10601089)
things like lion king or beauty and the beast. i try to get everything on bluray but if it's only on dvd i want to be as sure as i can that it looks good and i think most of disneys anime looks pretty good on dvd.

But thats not... eh, nevermind.

If you don't mind double dipping somewhere down the line, go ahead and get the DVDs if you can still find them, as it may be years until Disney revisits a movie. But as nice as their DVDs are, their Blu-Rays are gorgeous.

Me, I still have a non-anamorphic copy of Hercules somewhere around here...

wormraper 01-21-11 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Maxflier (Post 10601182)
I do out of necessity as others have alluded to.
I will tell you what is frustrating though: dropping $20 a pop for each DVD volume of Claymore and then later seeing the entire series available on Blu-Ray on sale for like $30 bucks or whatever Best Buy had it for not too long ago.

that's more to the foolishness of buying ANY anime series in singles instead of waiting for the boxset which WILL go on sale for less than the price of 2 singles.

GenPion 01-22-11 12:47 AM

I'm pretty sure most (if not all) anime fans buy series on DVD and Blu-ray. There are so many great shows that aren't available in High Definition yet and some may never be. For fans to give up on DVD altogether... It would require something drastic happening within the industry that I just don't see occurring in the near future.

Nonetheless, I am loving the fact that Funimation has been consistent in releasing a lot of great anime titles on Blu-ray. It truly feels like a dream come true to see some of the titles they are putting out released on my favorite format. I cant wait to get Chobits and FLCL especially.

william2734 01-22-11 02:56 AM

thanks for all the input guys...it helps.

chrisc31 01-22-11 08:55 AM

helps what?

sandman007 01-22-11 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by wormraper (Post 10601855)
that's more to the foolishness of buying ANY anime series in singles instead of waiting for the boxset which WILL go on sale for less than the price of 2 singles.

There's no guarantee that an anime series will get a boxset if the singles don't sell well. You can look into a lot of television series with the same problem, where studios stop releasing future season sets when sales were slow for previous sets.

william2734 01-23-11 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by chrisc31 (Post 10602076)
helps what?

i know a few people that pretty much only buy bluray but aren't into anime. like everyone else here i find alot of anime looks great on dvd and bluray so it got me wondering and i thought i'd ask.