Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Anime Talk
Reload this Page >

watching anime series

Community
Search
Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

watching anime series

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-11, 01:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
watching anime series

how many episodes do you watch at a time if your watching a series you've bought? i was just putting in a disk and trying to watch as many episodes as i could but i find myself falling asleep so i'm thinking about just watching one or two at a time instead.

i also just got the first season of full metal alchemist, the first and second season of ghost in the shell, both of those in blue-ray, the first season of darker than black and the full first season of casshern in blue-ray.

what i'm thinking with these series is watching one or two episodes of one then one or two of another and so on til i get back to the first one i was watching. just wondering if there's any rule of thumb about stuff like this.

by the way i just upgraded from a 37 inch 720 LG to a 40 inch samsung 1080 and there is a difference to going full hi-def. also you wouldn't think 3 inches would make that much of a difference either but it sure does to me. between the two i'm really blown away, LOL.

william
Old 01-16-11, 02:16 PM

Re: watching anime series

My hot cereal was getting cold, but I was wearing socks. Then the mailman came thankfully I had a sore tooth.
Old 01-16-11, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

One episode per day, one series at a time.
Old 01-17-11, 02:23 AM

it would be alot easier to keep track that way. i watched a few episodes of full metal alchemist yesterday and noticed i wasn't as tired this time so apparently i was more up to the task and didn't fall asleep but you're right maxflier. thanks for the reply.
Old 02-12-11, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxflier
One episode per day, one series at a time.
More or less what I do. I move to another series when I get bored. One Piece is a little to long to go through in one go.
Old 02-12-11, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When I get a new anime I watch about 6 episodes at a time, thats about how many episodes are on each dvd of a new anime release.
Old 02-12-11, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It depends. Generally speaking though, I watch around four episodes in a row at most.

Lately, I've been having to watch more than that in a row if it's a title I'm reviewing.
Old 02-13-11, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

I try to watch every episode on a disc once I start, whether it's four, five or six episodes. That way I don't have to go back to that disc when I'm ready to tackle more episodes. And it can get confusing as to where I left off if I stop at two or three and don't make a note as to where to resume. I also feel a bit of "incompleteness" regarding that set if I don't watch all the episodes. I was doing pretty good at this during the January TV on DVD challenge on the DVD Talk board (which would have been a natural for so many of the regulars here--I hope some of you participated). And it was very satisfying, too, to finish a disc, especially after six episodes, because you get a sense that you've made a dent, and also because I happened to make good choices during that challenge (including "Paradise Kiss," "Tekkaman Blade," "Beast King Golion" and "Kaze no Yojimbo").

Right now, I'm doing the Academy Award Challenge, so I've veered away from my anime viewing, although I want to finish the series that I started in January.

But it's hard. I have so many series to start, so many to finish, so many to re-watch, that it's hard to figure out a system for getting through them. Plus, I'm getting into live-action Japanese TV series and want to watch those, e.g. the "Lone Wolf and Cub" and "Zatoichi" TV versions, and Sonny Chiba's magnificent ninja series, "Shadow Warriors," plus all the sentai/tokusatsu series I've been amassing tapes and discs of (e.g. Ultraman, Iron King, Space Sheriff Gavan, Super Robot Red Baron, etc.).

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 02-13-11 at 11:44 AM.
Old 02-13-11, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

When I used to get monthly releases with 3-4 episodes on them, I'd wait up a couple of months, then watch an episode, and would often get pulled into watching the whole disc. Now with the half season and full season sets, I just jump around until I get caught up in something.

Space Sheriff Gavan? Where? I am way behind on sentai/tokusatsu, I STILL haven't finished Kamen Rider V3, which was my favorite as a kid, or Inazuman, and I got those when they were released. And the more modern ones are 40 to 50 episodes for every yearly series...
Old 03-14-11, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig

Space Sheriff Gavan? Where?

I bought a set of sub'd discs in Chinatown. An import from HK. Probably not an official release.

Getting back to watching anime series...my resolve now is not to stop until I finish a disc. Yesterday, I was very tired, so I sat and watched GOLGO 13 TV series disc 1, and sipped scotch as I was doing so. It was such an undemanding series that I was able to sit and watch all 6 eps. in one sitting. If it had actually been good and challenging, I probably would have stopped. I even watched most of it in English, because five of the eps. took place in the U.S., three of them in New York. (Of course, the English dubbing was still pretty awful. What, they can't find actors who can do a New York accent?)
Old 03-18-11, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

I think the hard part for me in marathoning series, at least these days, is the time constraint. Because I watch everything with subs and my Japanese is rudimentary (even after all that schooling), I have to pay complete attention to anime (and tokusatsu), where as I can have most American shows on in the background while I do other things. This kind of multitasking is especially important when you have a kid...