Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Anime Talk
Reload this Page >

Just how bad is this "slump" they say anime is in?

Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

Just how bad is this "slump" they say anime is in?

Old 03-24-12, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Just how bad is this "slump" they say anime is in?

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I'm looking forward to the DVD release, with subs., of the "Galaxy Express 999" series from 1978-81. I have some eps. on fan-sub VHS tapes, but I'd love to see the whole series.
You know, Crunchyroll has it, along with Captain Harlock, the original Mobile Suit Gundam and Go Lion.
Old 04-09-12, 10:41 PM

Received 541 Likes on 386 Posts

Surprised that some of these titles sold so poorly.

In a new Biglobe poll, over seven thousand Japanese anime fans named which anime series they found enjoyable, yet sold dismayingly poorly. Ranking is based on fan reaction, and listed with sales count when available.

1. Astarotte no Omocha (BD+DVD 1) [1,316]
2. True Tears (DVD 1) [2,869]
3. Ben-To (BD+DVD 1) [2,101]
4. Future Diary (BD+DVD 1) [2,336]
5. The World God Only Knows 2 (BD+DVD 1) [2,266]
6. Arakawa Under The Bridge x Bridge (BD+DVD 1) [2,557]
7. Chihayafuru (BD+DVD 1) [Unknown]
8. Kamisama Dolls (BD+DVD 1) [1,437]
9. Tantei Opera Milky Holmes 2 (BD+DVD 1) [2,353]
10. C (BD+DVD 1) [1,640]
11. Kill Me Baby (BD+DVD1) [696]
12. Ikoku Meiro no Croisée (BD+DVD 1) [1,486]
13. Un-Go (BD+DVD 1) [1,546]
14. Kimi to Boku (BD+DVD 1) [1,853]
15. C3 (BD+DVD 1) [2,038]
16. Kaichou wa Maid-sama (BD+DVD 1) [1,101]
17. Mitsudomoe (BD+DVD 1) [1,302]
18. Zettai Karen Children (DVD 1) [2,588]
19. Heaven’s Memo Pad (BD+DVD 1) [1,550]
20. Zero no Tsukaima F (BD+DVD 1) [Unknown]
21. Shakugan no Shana 3 (BD+DVD 1) [2,828]
22. Mitsudomoe Zouryouchuu! (BD+DVD 1) [1,158]
23. Fairy Tail (DVD 1) [Unknown]
24. Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 (BD 1) [509]
25. And Yet The Town Moves (BD+DVD 1) [1,718]
26. Nabari no Ou set 1 DVD [1,479]
27. Ōkami-san (BD+DVD) [2,274]
28. Nyan Koi! (DVD + Blu-ray 1)[1,784]
29. Kyōran Kazoku Nikki (DVD) [1,834 ]
30. (Tie) Vampire Rosario CAPU2 (DVD 1) [2704]
30. (tie) Legend of Legendary Hereos (Blu-ray + DVD 1) [1,480]
32. Giant Killing (DVD 1) [1,644 ]
33. Ef -. A tale of melodies (DVD + Blu-ray 1) [2,238 ]
34. Suite Precure The Movie: Take it back! The Miraculous Melody that Connects Hearts! (DVD + Blu-ray) [2,637]
35. Occult Academy (DVD + Blu-ray 1) [2,713]
36. Umineko no Naku Koro ni (DVD + Blu-ray Note 1) [1,782]
37. Comprehensible Modern Magic (DVD + Blu-ray) [724]
38. Yozakura Quartet (DVD 1) [1,389]
39. Kobato (DVD 1) [1,451]
40. (tie) Polyphonica Crimson S (DVD 1) [1,658]
40. (tie) Cookin' Idol Ai! Mai! Main! (DVD 1) [1,486]
40. (tie) Otome Crisis Koihime † Musou (DVD + Blur-ray) [2,568]
43. (tie) Shiki (DVD + Blu-ray 1) [1,375]
43. (tie) Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom (DVD 1) [2,137 ]
45. Hell Girl: Three Vessels (DVD 1)[1,579]
46. Tayutama - Kiss on My Deity [DVD + Blu-ray 1) [1,566]
47. The Book of Bantorra (DVD + Blu-ray 1) [Unknown]
48. Asura Cryin '2 (DVD) [Unknown]
49. Vampire Knight (DVD 1) [2,477]
50. Vampire Knight Guilty (DVD 1) [2,098]

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-new...sold-so-poorly
Old 04-10-12, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
Surprised that some of these titles sold so poorly.
Sold poorly in the US or Japan? There's only about 5 or so titles on that list that I've heard of.
Old 04-10-12, 12:03 PM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 578 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by big e
Sold poorly in the US or Japan? There's only about 5 or so titles on that list that I've heard of.
Those numbers are for Japan.
Old 04-10-12, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought it was normal for anime home video sales numbers to be low in Japan.
Old 04-10-12, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Low but not 2000 copies low, and certainly not 600 copies like Kill Me Baby. I saw a bestseller list at the end of last year, and the top shows like Madoka and Ano Hana were doing around 30,000 discs per volume, and Working!! was around 15,000.
Old 05-04-12, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Via ANN

Media Blasters listed as Dissolved by New York State Department of State as of April 2011

Media Blasters New York State Department of State Listing.

Via Media Blasters facebook page

Explanation of ANN story.

For all concerned about the ANN story, MB is not out of business or closing down its operation. What happen was the following. MB filed extensions for 2009, 10 and 11. Without notice or us knowing it could happen, the Secretary of State took action. We have now finished our 2009, 2010 and filing and will get the action reversed. We already spoke with them. The company continues to run, continues to release titles. It seems during the last TAF, our competitors decided to spread this paper around which has made life difficult.

As for the article in ANN, they never contacted us nor even gave us a chance to comment.

Last edited by chrisc31; 05-05-12 at 05:17 AM.
Old 05-07-12, 03:13 PM

Received 82 Likes on 64 Posts

This makes me glad I picked up copies of Riki-Oh and Destroy All Monsters when I did. It would probably be a good idea for everyone to go ahead and pick up any of their titles that you might be interested in while you can.
Old 05-24-12, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I found a sales chart on Anime News Network from 2009 that shows the net worth of the anime market (movies and merchandise) from 2001-2007:

N. America's 2007 Anime Market Pegged at US$2.8 Billion

I know the graph isn't the most detailed, but it was the only one I could find. Does anyone have any graphs that show just the DVD sales?
Old 06-01-12, 09:41 AM
Suspended

I think the problem is that the anime is too expensive. Especially the new releases. I mean Sentai film works sells new releases with no extras for like $50 on DVD and like 70 on blu ray.

These days, the anime that is considered "classic" are at decent prices and during Christmas, man I bought like 5 different series all on blu ray for less then like $60. Claymore, Gun Grave, Gunslinger Girls Parts 1 an 2 and Basilisk.

Christmas was a good time.
Old 06-02-12, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JGaitan82
I think the problem is that the anime is too expensive. Especially the new releases. I mean Sentai film works sells new releases with no extras for like $50 on DVD and like 70 on blu ray.

These days, the anime that is considered "classic" are at decent prices and during Christmas, man I bought like 5 different series all on blu ray for less then like $60. Claymore, Gun Grave, Gunslinger Girls Parts 1 an 2 and Basilisk.

Christmas was a good time.
I disagree that anime is to expensive, If you compare most Funimimations, and Sentai Filmworks releases for the past few years to seasons of The Family Guy, The Simpsons, and South Park you would find animes to be priced about the same or a little more. I remember five years ago when 4 episodes costs $30.
Old 06-02-12, 11:39 AM
Suspended

That's true. I mean I do remember when Excel Saga or Cowboy Bebop or Noir were $29.99 per volume. What I do like is the complete series that are published under the "Save" editions. Those rock. I bought my Moonphase, Ghost Hunt, Speed Grapher, Kanon, all for super cheap.
Old 06-15-12, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JGaitan82
Anime is priced pretty good right now (IMO), but during the boom, pricing was definitely an issue. In the '90's you could get away with selling a 3-4 episode tape or DVD for $29.99 because anime was still an underground medium. But, once the early '00's rolled around and anime became more popular, the companies should have either began lowering the prices of the discs or added more episodes to them.
Old 06-18-12, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,667 Posts

We talked about pricing in this thread already, and I think the consensus was that the Japanese licensors overvalued the licenses. I'm not sure if that's necessarily changed, or if the fact that the currently existing companies have closer ties to the Japanese companies makes the difference. The lack of dubs also helps keeps cost down, I'm sure.

And then you have the stuff like Madoka which are priced in premium sets for the otaku fandom.

The SAVE prices are a little unfair to compare as they're basically re-releases, but the Funi half seasons and the ever-shrinking Viz sets are cheaper than what the original DVD releases used to be (and those in turn were cheaper than the two episode per tape costs before them).
Old 07-31-12, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Regarding the downfall of anime, do you think people just got tired of it after a while? I knew a lot of people in the late '90's and (very) early 2000's who watched DBZ and toonami but once my senior year rolled around in 03-04, I only knew maybe 2-3 other people in my class that still watched anime (and two of them I didn't care for). After Pokemon and DBZ lost their steam, it seem like no one really paid attention to anime anymore and it (pop culture-wise) became less and less relevant until the crash occurred in 2008.
Old 08-01-12, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Like any fad, after anime stopped being "the in thing" some people stopped watching, and others grew out of it. But the fanbase here is still seemingly bigger than it was back before the "boom." Take a look at the attendance numbers at Anime Expo, for instance, and the proliferation of fansubs. Now how many of those fans are willing to pay for anime, whether it's because of price concerns or lack of dubs or the relative ease at which you can find stuff for free, that's another question.
Old 08-01-12, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig
Like any fad, after anime stopped being "the in thing" some people stopped watching, and others grew out of it.
I understand that fads come and go, but usually when a fad dies, it doesn't take most of the industry down with it. I would also argue anime was more popular/in the public eye longer than most other fads.

But the fanbase here is still seemingly bigger than it was back before the "boom." Take a look at the attendance numbers at Anime Expo, for instance, and the proliferation of fansubs. Now how many of those fans are willing to pay for anime, whether it's because of price concerns or lack of dubs or the relative ease at which you can find stuff for free, that's another question.
The problem with the fanbase (and I've been saying this pretty much since the crash) is that a majority of them are teenagers and teens do not have much of a disposable income to spend on stuff. If they can get something for free, then, yea, they'll get it for free. I know releases are priced more reasonably now, but the anime distributors should have changed their release methods a few years ago when anime was still popular.
Old 08-01-12, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,068 Likes on 847 Posts

The mid-late 90s also had a certain quality of anime that was something of an anomaly. It was just a constant stream of one original, hugely appealing show after another (ie - Evangelion, El Hazard, Escaflowne, Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Serial Experiements Lain, Tenchi, Naruto, Outlaw Star, etc; ) and with the popularity of DBZ and Pokemon peaking around the same period it sort of opened the flood gates to anime in america. Unfortunately, imo at least, the quality and originality started to plummet in the early '00s and it sort of lost its appeal on a broader scale.
Old 08-01-12, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by RichC2
The mid-late 90s also had a certain quality of anime that was something of an anomaly.
That's what a few other posters said. So was anime until the '90's pretty much fluff show after fluff show with a few good ones sprinkled throughout? I do remember in the late '90's and early 2000's we kept getting quality show after quality show, then around '05 we started getting more and more cutesy fluff shows. I may have been buying a decent amount of anime during this time, but I was finding the shows I was interested in were becoming few and far between.
Old 08-01-12, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,068 Likes on 847 Posts

Not at all, there was plenty of great anime pre-90s, most of that likely got eaten up when the 90s stuff was big. Also I think what I typed was a repost of something else I've typed in the past, I gotta start reading old long threads before posting in them
Old 08-01-12, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 296 Likes on 227 Posts

That's what a few other posters said. So was anime until the '90's pretty much fluff show after fluff show with a few good ones sprinkled throughout? I do remember in the late '90's and early 2000's we kept getting quality show after quality show, then around '05 we started getting more and more cutesy fluff shows. I may have been buying a decent amount of anime during this time, but I was finding the shows I was interested in were becoming few and far between.
There were plenty of great shows pre-90s, it's just that they rarely got released here, whereas the explosion of great shows from 1995-98 that RichC2 listed (plus Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 and His and Her Circumstances) all got released here, some even getting shown on Toonami (Cowboy Bebop, Rurouni Kenshin, etc.). I'm still waiting for DVDs of Galaxy Express 999 and Captain Harlock to come out. (I pre-ordered the former from Amazon and was just informed that it would be delayed to October.)

Also, I'd like to share an observation I made when I attended AnimeNext in New Jersey in June. I was there with a number of friends for an appearance by J-pop group Berryz Kobo. I wasn't there for anime nor did I attend any anime-related events while there. The crowd that was there for Berryz was quite a large one and the age range spanned kids to middle age, but the average were functioning adults in their late 20s and early 30s. On the other hand, the average anime fan there was in middle school or high school, a much younger demographic. Now this doesn't necessarily mean that anime fans have gotten younger, although that could be the case. It just means that the younger ones are more likely to attend a convention like this, usually for social reasons, while among J-pop fans, the older ones are more likely to have the resources to travel and book hotels so they can follow their J-pop favorites on their extremely rare trips to the U.S.

Two great pre-1990 anime shows:

Ashita no Joe (1972) - never released here

Patlabor (1989) - released by U.S. Manga Corps (now probably out of print)

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 08-01-12 at 07:24 PM.
Old 08-01-12, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I know there were always good anime titles regardless of what decade you were in, what I was asking was, were there more disposable fluff titles prior to the '90's or Was there always a balance of good shows and fluff shows? I guess this is question is coming from me remembering a ton of titles being released from the late '80s and '90s, but not remembering or noticing a lot of stuff from the '70s or early '80s, besides a few big name titles.

After anime became more popular in the 2000s, it seemed like the distributors were releasing whatever they could get their hands on just because it was anime. I think this caused the market to get flooded with a lot of mediocre titles and began to turn anime into a commodity that ended up in dollar store and big lots bargain bins.
Old 08-02-12, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I understand that fads come and go, but usually when a fad dies, it doesn't take most of the industry down with it. I would also argue anime was more popular/in the public eye longer than most other fads.

The problem with the fanbase (and I've been saying this pretty much since the crash) is that a majority of them are teenagers and teens do not have much of a disposable income to spend on stuff. If they can get something for free, then, yea, they'll get it for free. I know releases are priced more reasonably now, but the anime distributors should have changed their release methods a few years ago when anime was still popular.
First off, when anime was still popular they couldn't negotiate the deals to get the lower pricing. But if as you say, even with lower pricing the current fanbase still prefers "free," how would that have changed if the pricing was lowered earlier?

Also, fads do take down industries; take a look at something like comic books, which has never really recovered after the speculator crash.

There is a ton of anime produced in Japan, even now. I think what happened is that the distributors saw that the US audience tended to like some of the fluffier shows like harem, etc. Also (and I know I said this before) the distributors pretty much had access to take the best of over a decade of anime when the boom started... as the AAA releases dried up and/or got priced really high, the pool got naturally smaller and thus the perception that there wasn't as much "good" anime being released.

Plus we did get anime as far back as Speed Racer... it just wasn't "recognized" as anime by the general public. Battle of the Planets, Mysterious Cities of Gold, Voltron, even stuff like Star Blazers and Robotech were all dub-only but considered just cartoons by most of the public. A lot of American cartoons were animated in Asia. Of course, we missed a lot of stuff that came out but by the time of the boom even the great titles of the early 80s were a hard sell to consumers. I'm glad ADV did Aura Battler Dunbine but I don't think it did all that great.
Old 08-02-12, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 296 Likes on 227 Posts

I know there were always good anime titles regardless of what decade you were in, what I was asking was, were there more disposable fluff titles prior to the '90's or Was there always a balance of good shows and fluff shows?
It's hard to say because we've seen so few of the hundreds of anime series shown in Japan from the '60s to the '80s. There was a higher proportion of children's shows in the '60s and '70s. Some of those were quite good. There were lots of literary adaptations (Heidi, Dog of Flanders, Anne of Green Gables, Tom Sawyer, Little Women, etc.) and they were aimed chiefly at children, although they were frequently very good. There were lots of sports shows, few of which would translate well for an American audience. I've seen some and I'm quite impressed with them.

Aim for the Ace (1973)

Star of the Giants (1968)
Old 08-02-12, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig
First off, when anime was still popular they couldn't negotiate the deals to get the lower pricing. But if as you say, even with lower pricing the current fanbase still prefers "free," how would that have changed if the pricing was lowered earlier?
What I was trying to get at with my last post was that the distributors appeared to become more reliant on disc sales when they should have tried to keep anime on TV. If it was still on TV like it was in the early 2000 (I understand this probably become difficult as time went on and anime began to lose its appeal) the distributors would at least have some money from advertising coming in and the teenagers wouldn't be required to shell out $30 for a 4 episode DVD.

Also, fads do take down industries; take a look at something like comic books, which has never really recovered after the speculator crash.
Yea, the comic industry crashed pretty hard in the '90's, but it rebounded. It's still around, comic books are still pretty popular, and I'm still going to the local comic book shop at least once a month to pick up books for my brother and to get a graphic novel or two for myself. Unfortunately I don't see the anime industry rebounding the same way (although at this point I think we can all agree it has stabilized) unless the distributors begin releasing titles with a broader appeal than to just otakus. I know they are limited by what Japan is currently outputting but I think they could make some money off a few of the older titles if they would market them properly.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.