Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

U.S. Theatrical Anime Releases

Old 11-11-10, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

U.S. Theatrical Anime Releases

I was just wondering which Anime's have had theatrical releases here in the states. I guess I wouldn't count one or two time convention screenings but film festivals would be a yes. Also, would anybody know the first one?

Movies I've seen in theaters:
-Urotsukodoji: Believe it or not I saw this in Milwaukee in the early 90's in a theater near the UW-Milwaukee campus

-Princess Mononokee
-Ghost in the Shell: Innocence
Old 11-11-10, 02:23 AM

Re: U.S. Theatrical Anime Releases

I saw Sword of the Stranger and the Cowboy Bebop movie in theaters. The first was in a bunch of select theaters across the country by the same group that does the Rifftrax theater events. I'm not sure about Cowboy Bebop, I was in a college town visiting a boyfriend at the time and we lucked out to find it playing. Awesome experience.
Old 11-11-10, 08:58 AM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

These are the only ones I can remember being to. Folks in LA, NYC, and SF areas typically have a lot more opportunities to see anime on the big screen. It's sad that the only anime I am able to watch this year looks like would be Redline from the local Asian Film Festival. I can't make it to their Summer Wars showing, but I have seen the movie already (TW BD release). The next anime made available here may not happen until Evangelion 2.0: You Can (Not) Advance.
  • Evangelion: 1.0 You Are (Not) Alone
  • Paprika
  • Ponyo
  • Steamboy
  • Sword of the Stranger
  • Redline (film festival)
Old 11-11-10, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Tom Creo View Post
I was just wondering which Anime's have had theatrical releases here in the states. I guess I wouldn't count one or two time convention screenings but film festivals would be a yes. Also, would anybody know the first one?
ALAKAZAM THE GREAT (1960) was released in the U.S. in July 1961 by American International Pictures. I believe that was the first. MGM released MAGIC BOY (1959) in various cities starting with L.A. in 1961 but it didn't get reviewed in New York until Dec. 1963. GULLIVER'S TRAVELS BEYOND THE MOON (1965) got some release in the U.S. in 1966 from Continental Distributing. I remember that playing theaters in New York. Hayao Miyazaki worked on it. I still haven't seen it. There were other Japanese animated features from the early years that got limited release (PANDA AND THE MAGIC SERPENT) or went straight to TV (THE LITTLEST WARRIOR).

POKEMON THE FIRST MOVIE (1999) was the first Japanese animated feature to be released theatrically by a major studio (Warner Bros.) in the U.S. since MAGIC BOY.

Anime features I saw in theaters over the years, from the 1980s to the 2000s: GALAXY EXPRESS 999, PHOENIX 2772, AKIRA, VAMPIRE HUNTER D, LAPUTA: CASTLE IN THE SKY, CASTLE OF CAGLIOSTRO, THE PROFESSIONAL: GOLGO 13, WICKED CITY, MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO, GHOST IN THE SHELL, PRINCESS MONONOKE, COWBOY BEBOP THE MOVIE, SPIRITED AWAY, STEAMBOY, GHOST IN THE SHELL 2: INNOCENCE, HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE, PAPRIKA...plus a few I'm forgetting. Roger Corman released a cut version of NAUSICAA and retitled it WARRIORS OF THE WIND.

P.S. I forgot TOKYO GODFATHERS.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 11-22-10 at 11:01 AM.
Old 11-11-10, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ash, great info! Now I'm gonna spend the whole afternoon on Google. I would've loved to see Vampire Hunter D on the big screen.

Kitty and WTK, great info as well.

With all the junk that gets released in theaters, its surprising to see so little Anime released here. I guess you can say that about all foreign films but are the rights that expensive?
Old 11-11-10, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wuxiakitty View Post
I saw Sword of the Stranger and the Cowboy Bebop movie in theaters.
Same here. SOTS was ok, but getting to see Bebop on the big screen
Old 11-11-10, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

WTK, what theaters in Minneapolis show anime? I'm about an hour away from the Twin Cities.
Old 11-11-10, 10:26 PM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Originally Posted by Tom Creo View Post
WTK, what theaters in Minneapolis show anime? I'm about an hour away from the Twin Cities.
The latest was from the Minnapolis / St. Paul Asian Film Festival. I saw Redline (subbed) there last Saturday. This Saturday, they are showing Summer Wars (subbed) @ ~ 4:30 PM.

EDIT: LINK for Summer Wars.

Last edited by WTK; 11-11-10 at 10:32 PM.
Old 11-18-10, 03:11 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I hear they're making an American remake of Death Note.
Old 11-22-10, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Back in the early 90's, I saw both Akira and Lensman in the theater.
Old 11-22-10, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Cool about Lensman. I haven't seen that in years,