DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Anime Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/anime-talk-72/)
-   -   Anime Gift Ideas? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/anime-talk/580563-anime-gift-ideas.html)

Navinabob 10-11-10 04:04 PM

Anime Gift Ideas?

I've been poking around ebay for a few days now with little luck so I thought maybe someone here might have an idea or two. My girlfriend is a huge anime fan and I've been stressing over an upcoming birthday gift I'm trying to get for her.

My first idea was a cel I could get framed of one of her favorite shows but most of what I've seen are sketches, reproductions or waaaay outside of my $80 to $120 price range.

My next idea was maybe getting something commissioned but I didn't find an artist that takes internet orders in that style with decent enough quality.

Original manga pages don't exist for sale. I haven't stumbled upon prints for sale that were not the sort you'd find at Boarders. She's got DVDs of the stuff she likes already... Any ideas on something people have given or received? Artists or dealers they trust? Am I missing a category that I've not even considered yet?

Any help would be appreciated and any snarky comments would be entertaining. Thanks!

chrisc31 10-11-10 07:33 PM

Re: Anime Gift Ideas?

What animes does she like?

van der graaf 10-11-10 08:35 PM

http://www.kittyhell.com/wp-content/...ator-black.jpg

Ash Ketchum 10-12-10 09:53 AM

A Totoro plushie always works.

Navinabob 10-12-10 10:26 AM

She's a fan of Naruto, Hunterxhunter, Ah! My Goddess, Bleach, Haibane Renmei, Monster, FMA, Scrapped Princess and few others I'll add once they come to me. Thanks guys!

chrisc31 10-12-10 04:35 PM

Have you looked at RightStuf for different animes she likes? Some things that come to mind are:
Fullmetal Alchemist Limited Edition Lithograph $35.99
They also have plushies for FMA and Naruto. There is so much stuff for some of those animes.
If she is a big Fullmetal Alchemist fan I would think about that Lithograph, if she does not have it yet. Not sure if I was any help.

Navinabob 10-12-10 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by chrisc31 (Post 10426685)
Have you looked at RightStuf for different animes she likes? Some things that come to mind are:
Fullmetal Alchemist Limited Edition Lithograph $35.99
They also have plushies for FMA and Naruto. There is so much stuff for some of those animes.
If she is a big Fullmetal Alchemist fan I would think about that Lithograph, if she does not have it yet. Not sure if I was any help.

That is perfect! Thanks everyone for the suggestions; you guys are great!

chrisc31 10-13-10 08:20 PM

I just found a Fullmetal Alchemist Movie Limited Edition Lithograph

Navinabob 10-14-10 02:53 AM

Ooo... I'll see what the 1st one looks like when it arrives and decide if the 2nd is worth the buy. Christmas isn't too far off, thanks!

chrisc31 10-14-10 05:19 PM

The only anime related merchandise I bought thats not a dvd is the Clannad Lithograph Limited Edition I like it.

Navinabob 11-15-10 01:18 PM

Thanks Chrisc31, she loved the print! The print did get a bit mushed in the mail... (I would have thought they'd have packaged it better). Once I flatted it out with some books for a week and put it in a frame it looked great.

zeez 11-18-10 12:18 PM

if you're looking for a series, I would recommend Bamboo Blade. I'm basing that recommendation off of fansubs I watched years ago, and have no idea how an official release might shape up.

EDIT: i'm sorry. I didn't read the part where you said she has dvds of what she likes already..