Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Anime Talk
Reload this Page >

Ghibli’s Tales from Earthsea (Gedo Senki) Gets U.S. Theatrical Release

Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

Old 05-18-10, 10:13 AM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 521 Likes on 458 Posts

LINK
Ghibli’s Tales from Earthsea gets US release
May 12, 2010 1:30 am

Disney has just announced that it will theatrically release Goro Miyazaki’s Tales from Earthsea (Gedo Senki) in the US on August 13th under its Touchstone Pictures banner. This marks the second fully animated feature to be released under that label — the first being Tim Burton’s Nightmare Before Christmas (Who Framed Roger Rabbit, another Touchstone picture, was live-action/animated).

Hayao Miyazaki’s son, Goro directed this adaptation of Ursula K. Le Guin’s Earthsea novels in 2006. The film was held up from US distribution due to an existing non-compete arrangement with Sci-Fi Channel, over their live action mini-series based on the same material. The voice cast in Disney’s dub includes Timothy Dalton, Willem Dafoe, Cheech Marin and Mariska Hargitay.
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/05sCTxnEs9Y&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/05sCTxnEs9Y&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 05-18-10, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts
Re: Ghibli’s Tales from Earthsea (Gedo Senki) Gets U.S. Theatrical Release

Originally Posted by WTK
LINK

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/05sCTxnEs9Y&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/05sCTxnEs9Y&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
"I hate people who don't value life!"
And I hate sassy little girls who think they've got a right to tell me how to feel.

God, does that look sappy. And a rehash of the elder Miyazaki's varied, now-timeworn motifs. And noticeably sparse on action to boot. I hate to say this, but I haven't really been enthused about a Studio Ghibli film since PRINCESS MONONOKE (1997). I've had the DVD of this one for about three years now and still haven't watched it. I'll go see it in a theater if I can because all of these films need to be seen that way, good or not, but I'm not terribly hopeful.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 05-19-10 at 01:58 PM.
Old 05-18-10, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Is it getting a wide release? That's what I need to know.
Old 05-18-10, 11:25 PM
WTK

Originally Posted by GenPion
Is it getting a wide release? That's what I need to know.
I don't believe this information has been revealed yet.
Old 05-19-10, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate to say it, but considering the poor reviews this one got, I'd almost like it to go straight to video so it doesn't dilute the track record of Ghibli on the big screen here.
Old 05-19-10, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Old 05-19-10, 01:12 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

^ that is sooo true... 'Earthsea' was painfully bad, Disney is probably under contract to release this, but they really don't want to waste the time, money or resource on this release.
Old 07-07-10, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I hate to say this, but I haven't really been enthused about a Studio Ghibli film since PRINCESS MONONOKE (1997). I've had the DVD of this one for about three years now and still haven't watched it. I'll go see it in a theater if I can because all of these films need to be seen that way, good or not, but I'm not terribly hopeful.
I know I'm in the minority when I say this, but I really didn't like Princess Mononoke. Spirited Away, Howls Moving Castle and Castle in the Sky are much better Ghibli films too me then Princess Mononoke. Ponyo was okay, I'd say that Ghibli hasn't put out anything really great since Howls Moving Castle in 2004.

The US trailer was just released in 1080p over at iTunes. Personally this film doesn't excite me at all. I doubt I'll see it, but here's the US trailer link anyway.

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/d...sfromearthsea/
Old 07-19-10, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

There'll be one showing of TALES FROM EARTHSEA in New York on Sun. Aug. 1 at 11AM at the IFC Center, under the auspices of the New York International Children's Film Festival.

Here's the link for info/tickets:

http://www.gkids.tv/intheaters.cfm
Old 07-20-10, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,390 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I finally finished the basic Earthsea trilogy, I'm glad to have read them, though I'm not sure they're worthy of the frothing praise they seem to have. So can anyone who has seen this movie explain what story they've adapted? From the presence of the younger boy, it seems like The Farthest Shore.

thanks
Old 07-20-10, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
There'll be one showing of TALES FROM EARTHSEA in New York on Sun. Aug. 1 at 11AM at the IFC Center, under the auspices of the New York International Children's Film Festival.

Here's the link for info/tickets:

http://www.gkids.tv/intheaters.cfm
I'm sure it was a stipulation on the Disney/Ghibli deal that Disney have at least does ONE theatrical showing of the film - Disney has a lot of worse stuff to be embarrassed about, but 'Tales of Earthsea' is a film they wish they weren't stuck with.

I saw something on Youtube, where someone was talking about how Le Guin was livid over the fact that Miyasaki personally didn't direct this (when it stated early on that he would) and was basically put into his son's incompetent hands

Last edited by Giles; 07-20-10 at 10:43 AM.
Old 07-20-10, 02:42 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles
I saw something on Youtube, where someone was talking about how Le Guin was livid over the fact that Miyasaki personally didn't direct this (when it stated early on that he would) and was basically put into his son's incompetent hands
http://www.ursulakleguin.com/GedoSenkiResponse.html

As you can see from that response she was in no way "livid". She simply felt that the movie made was not really based on her works but sort of an extension of it. Taken on its own I didn't necessarily think it was a bad movie at all.
Old 07-21-10, 09:12 AM

maybe the word: 'livid' was a bit extreme
Old 09-16-10, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

she was livid over the scifi version (aka crapp)...
Old 10-08-10, 02:38 PM

I caught this film on its original UK theatrical release a few years back, funny that it took so long to get over here.

Honestly, the music/soundtrack was more haunting than anything in the actual film, which is rather dry and forgettable (indeed, not a patch on the senior Miyazaki's work). Worth a rent, but otherwise I'd say only for Ghibli completists (of which I may become)...

I did purchase an import of the soundtrack, though!
Old 10-09-10, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I wonder when Disney will release this on Blu-ray. It's too bad it didn't get a wider release. I still haven't seen this yet.
Old 10-09-10, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Doubt it would actually hit Blu-Ray, as it still hasnt been released in Japan on BD yet. DVD only I assume.
Old 10-09-10, 09:59 AM
WTK

Originally Posted by manicsounds
Doubt it would actually hit Blu-Ray, as it still hasnt been released in Japan on BD yet. DVD only I assume.
I'm with you on this one. If Japan doesn't one, the US (most likely) won't get the BD treatment.
Old 10-09-10, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I had no idea. That's disappointing. I certainly hope they are able to put it out on Blu-ray anyway, but perhaps not...