Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Anime Talk
Reload this Page >

Adult Swim to Debut Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood @ Midnight, February 14

Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

Old 02-04-10, 07:57 PM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 525 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by FUNi PR
FUNimation Entertainment Announces U.S. Broadcast Debut of Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

New Series to air on Adult Swim beginning February 13

Flower Mound, TX – February 5, 2010 – The Elric brothers are back! FUNimation® Entertainment announced today that the mega-hit “Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood”, a fantasy action-adventure series, will debut on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim on Saturday, February 13. The series will air at 12:00 a.m. ET/PT each Saturday.

The blockbuster anime series “Fullmetal Alchemist” by the acclaimed Japanese studio Bones introduced Alphonse and Edward Elric and the followup film “Fullmetal Alchemist the Movie: Conqueror of Shamballa” ended the series but many fans wished to see the story continue.

“Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood” faithfully recreates the story first told in the classic manga by Hiromu Arakawa and featured in Square Enix’s Monthly Shonen Gangan magazine. Set in a fictional world where alchemy – the transmutation of raw materials into objects – is science and the way of life, the series follows the Elric brothers, Edward and Alphonse, on their perilous journey in search of the legendary Philosopher's Stone. They set forth in the hope that the magical artifact can restore their bodies after a failed attempt to revive their dead mother cost Edward's left leg and right arm, as well as Alphonse's entire body, leaving his soul affixed to a suit of armor. In “Brotherhood” the brothers will risk what remains to restore what was lost.

Acquired from Japanese producer and distributor Aniplex, the English-dubbed series is produced by Mike McFarland and directed by McFarland and Caitlin Glass. McFarland also directed “Fullmetal Alchemist.”

Reprising their roles from the first series are Vic Mignogna as Edward Elric, Caitlin Glass as Winry Rockbell, Travis Willingham as Roy Mustang, Laura Bailey as Lust, Sony Strait as Maes Hughes, and Mike McFarland as Jean Havoc.

Actor Maxey Whitehead is taking on the role of Alphonse Elric.

Originally Al in “Fullmetal Alchemist,” Aaron Dismuke will be featured in another role later in the series.

Episodic Descriptions for February airdates:

Episode 01 – Fullmetal Alchemist, premieres February 13
The Elric brothers adjust to military life and take part in a manhunt for the dangerous Isaac the Freezer, a former State Alchemist bent on bringing Fuhrer Bradley down.

Episode 02 – The First Day, premieres February 20
A glimpse into the past reveals the pain and desperation that drove the Elric boys to break alchemy’s greatest taboo – human transmutation – and their reasons for becoming dogs of the military.

Episode 03 – City of Heresy, premieres February 27
Science and faith collide when the Elrics confront Father Cornello. He claims to work miracles, but the brothers suspect he is abusing a Philosopher’s Stone to manipulate his flock.

Funimation Entertainment will release “Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood” Part One on DVD and Blu-ray on May 25.

For more information about Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, please visit www.fullmetalalchemist.com
Even though it's has been know for a little while now, but it's good to an official confirmation via ANN.
The Los Angeles Weekly newspaper's blog has confirmed that the Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood anime series will premiere on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim programming block in the United States at midnight EST/PST on February 14. The anime will run for 26 episodes in the Saturday evening/Sunday morning timeslot. The newspaper also confirmed the English dub's cast:

Vic Mignogna: Edward Elric
Caitlin Glass: Winry Rockbell
Travis Willingham: Roy Mustang
Laura Bailey: Lust
Wendy Powell: Envy
Chris Cason: Gluttony
Sonny Strait: Maes Hughes
Ed Blaylock: Fuhrer King Bradley
Colleen Clinkenbeard: Riza Hawkeye
Mike McFarland: Jean Havoc
Maxey Whitehead: Alphonse Elric
J. Michael Tatum: Scar
Bryan Massey: Isaac McDougal

Late last month, Adult Swim's internal web server had already listed "Fullmetal Alchemist" in this timeslot, and had publicly confirmed as early as January 19 that a "new anime" would run in the timeslot. However, today's news is the first public confirmation that Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood is the version that will run...

Last edited by WTK; 02-05-10 at 10:50 AM.
Old 02-04-10, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Adult Swim to Debut Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood @ Midnight, February 14

About time. Looking forward to seeing it on the TV instead of in a computer window.
Old 02-05-10, 12:03 AM

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts
Re: Adult Swim to Debut Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood @ Midnight, February 14

Is this a reboot of the original series?
Old 02-05-10, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is good news if for no other reason than CN is still acquiring anime properties. For a while it looked like they were going away from Anime all together.

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
Is this a reboot of the original series?
No, its basically a retelling of the original story. With a stricter adherence to the manga.
Old 02-07-10, 11:58 PM
WTK

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YOVpIZBXdV8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YOVpIZBXdV8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>
Old 02-08-10, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Thrush
This is good news if for no other reason than CN is still acquiring anime properties. For a while it looked like they were going away from Anime all together.

No, its basically a retelling of the original story. With a stricter adherence to the manga.

Isn't that what he meant by "reboot of the original series"?
Old 02-13-10, 09:19 AM
WTK

Just a friendly reminder that this starts tonight...
Old 02-13-10, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

This show is also on youtube. I didn't care for it but might have liked it if I hadn't already watched the original. I only watched the first four episodes.
Old 02-14-10, 05:11 AM

The original is the best (well, for me anyways since I never read the magna). Brotherhood, even though it has crisp and smooth artistry, the voices just lose it for me and the vibe just isnt there. I cant seem to care about the characters in this one so far.
Old 02-14-10, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Skyclad01
The original is the best (well, for me anyways since I never read the magna). Brotherhood, even though it has crisp and smooth artistry, the voices just lose it for me and the vibe just isnt there. I cant seem to care about the characters in this one so far.
I can second this, however I have only seen the first 25 episodes.

Last night, I watched it in HD on Cartoon Network/Adult swim and video and audio quality were utterly fantastic. Cant wait for the Bluray!
Old 02-18-10, 04:44 PM

I have not seen the original FMA in a while so it was kind of new to me. I liked what I saw in the first episode and look foreword to the rest of it.
Old 02-22-10, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Why did [adult swim] cut the OP in half? Annoying.
Old 03-08-10, 05:27 PM

I like what I have seen thus far but it has not gone away from the previous series yet.
Old 03-12-10, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kenage
I like what I have seen thus far but it has not gone away from the previous series yet.
It will, within the next few episodes...
Old 03-12-10, 10:52 AM
WTK

Originally Posted by wildcatlh
It will, within the next few episodes...
It starts with episode 15. There will be new materials previously only covered in the manga.
Old 03-17-10, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by WTK
It starts with episode 15. There will be new materials previously only covered in the manga.
Is that when they are going to add in the new character?
Old 03-19-10, 09:11 PM
WTK

Is that when they are going to add in the new character?
There are characters that get introduced as the series advances/progresses. You can check various review sites, if you want more in-depth look into each episodes.
Old 03-25-10, 05:20 PM

Thanks for the info WTK. I am trying not to know too much about the new stuff because I do not want to be spoiled before I see it.
Old 09-06-10, 03:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,012 Likes on 837 Posts

Thoughts on whether someone starting FMA should go for the original or Brotherhood?
Old 09-06-10, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by davidh777
Thoughts on whether someone starting FMA should go for the original or Brotherhood?
The original and its not even close. Brotherhood isnt bad mind you but its nowhere near as good as the original.
Old 09-06-10, 11:00 PM
WTK

The original and its not even close. Brotherhood isnt bad mind you but its nowhere near as good as the original.
I love both series. I actually like Brotherhood a bit more. Starting either series first shouldn't affect your viewing experience. My suggestion though would be watching the original series first and then followed by the movie. The OVA release is completely optional. And also Brotherhood will follow a lot more faithfully to the manga. New materials not covered from the original series won't start until episode 15 (if I remember correctly).
Old 09-07-10, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Brotherhood is easily one of the best anime series that I have seen over the past few years. To be fair, I've never seen the original FMA series, but as WTK said, Brotherhood follows the manga. I suspect you can't go wrong either way.
Old 09-08-10, 02:26 AM

I've seen a tiny bit of the TV series back in the day on CN....like maybe the first two or three episodes. Wasn't feeling it though. Looked kinda 'eh. Should I give it another chance?
Old 09-08-10, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I guess it depends on what floats your boat. Some like Brotherhood because it adheres to the storyline from the Manga. Its also much lighter in tone and uses a lot more humor. The original is darker and for my money has a more intricate and better realized story. The characters also seem to have more depth.
Old 09-08-10, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I guess it depends on what floats your boat. Some like Brotherhood because it adheres to the storyline from the Manga. Its also much lighter in tone and uses a lot more humor. The original is darker and for my money has a more intricate and better realized story. The characters also seem to have more depth.
Agreed, to an extent. Brotherhood does have some comedy--very similar to how Rurouni Kenshin mixed in some comedy elements with an excellent story (well, up until the Kyoto Arc ended).

FWIW, while I liked Samurai X, I loved Rurouni Kenshin. Its perfect mix of serious and lighter moments is a big reason. If you enjoy your anime all dark and brooding, all the time, then Brotherhood may not appeal to you as much.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.