Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Anime Talk
Reload this Page >

Anime that you wish had proper endings.

Community
Search
Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-09, 04:09 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's quite few show/series out there that either end poorly or don't have endings at all. Here's a couple off the top of my head which I wish had kept going at least till there was a proper conclusion:

Berserk
Bastard!
Air Gear
Big O

There are also lots of anime that overstay their welcome just simply to milk a franchise but I don't care too much about those shows.
Old 09-04-09, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts
Re: Anime that you wish had proper endings.

All but Big O go on as manga, although I'm not sure any of them have ended yet. I'm still hoping that Berserk gets something else done, though the rest of the series is way different than the part that was animated... maybe something like what Hellsing is getting now that it's finally finished.

That's part of the problem with adapting from manga: while manga progresses at a phenomenal pace (for the most part, Bastard! being an exception), anime will always outpace it. So for the most popular manga series, you have to either let the manga have a large head start (which is going to be quickly consumed if the anime goes long) or you're going to have to create filler episodes in which absolutely nothing important can happen, since you have to keep the status quo so you can pick up the manga storyline again once it gets ahead. I think that's where most series tend to overstay their welcome, when there's just a ton of filler. Something like Berserk, where they animated a complete storyarc, was perfect, but I guess not popular enough to continue.

To add to your list: as much as I like Ranma 1/2, I wish it had a proper ending, either in anime or manga.
Old 09-04-09, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Inuyasha
Old 09-04-09, 11:31 PM

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,131 Posts

I don't recall there being an especially satisfactory ending to Bubblegum Crash but it's been a while and I still like it so whatever.
Old 09-05-09, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

His & Her Circumstances immediately comes to mind. Just takes a left turn and never recovers.
Old 09-08-09, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Full Metal Panic! it didn't really ended on Second Raid - there's a organization that was mentioned and it never resolve the story.

Zipzag stopped the production without an ending - that got me pissed off. lol
Old 09-08-09, 01:38 PM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 534 Likes on 470 Posts

Originally Posted by Thrush
Inuyasha
Viz Media has the license to InuYasha: The Final Act. It remains to be seen when it will be released in the U.S., but it's coming.

ANN
...The North American anime distributor Viz Media has announced at its second Saturday panel at Comic-Con International that it has acquired the upcoming Inuyasha: The Final Act (Inuyasha Kanketsu-hen) anime series and the Kekkaishi anime series. Inuyasha: The Final Act continues beyond where the first anime series ended and adapts the story from the final 21 compiled book volumes of Rumiko Takahashi's original manga. It will premiere in Japan this fall...
Old 09-23-09, 06:52 PM

DearS looked like there's going to be a season 2, I've read rumors but haven't seen anything yet. Chrome Shelled Regios left on a weird note too.
Old 12-07-09, 02:00 PM

Ranma 1/2 didn't have a clear cut ending:/
Old 12-10-09, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Berserk

And on a side note, I'm hoping a live-action film series will be made one day (I know some fans are completely against this).
Old 12-10-09, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well ... Gantz didn't have an ending that resolved all points leading towards a satisfactory ...or rather, conclusive one. Through it all however, I was quite satisfied on my end as I rather enjoy the ride as opposed to the arriving at the destination.
Old 12-10-09, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by visitor Q
Well ... Gantz didn't have an ending that resolved all points leading towards a satisfactory ...or rather, conclusive one. Through it all however, I was quite satisfied on my end as I rather enjoy the ride as opposed to the arriving at the destination.
I'm glad you liked it Visitor Q, but Gantz was one series I couldn't f*!king stand the second time I tried watching it. I did not mind parting ways with that series (even though I got jack shit for it when I traded it in).

Originally Posted by Ghostbuster
Berserk

And on a side note, I'm hoping a live-action film series will be made one day (I know some fans are completely against this).
Personally I'm hoping another series or OVA gets made. I always thought the first three volumes would have made a fine movie or OVA. If the studio had done that in '97 instead of the series, and made the series in 2000 or 2001, the manga probably would have been far along enough for the studio to adapt through the Conviction arc and use that arc's ending. It still would have been a cliffhanger
Spoiler:
since the arc ends with Griffith's rebirth
but it would've been better than ending it with the Eclipse.
Spoiler:
Although if you've read the manga, you know that Skull Knight shows up and rescues Gutz and Caska.
Old 12-10-09, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by big e
Personally I'm hoping another series or OVA gets made. I always thought the first three volumes would have made a fine movie or OVA. If the studio had done that in '97 instead of the series, and made the series in 2000 or 2001, the manga probably would have been far along enough for the studio to adapt through the Conviction arc and use that arc's ending. It still would have been a cliffhanger
Spoiler:
since the arc ends with Griffith's rebirth
but it would've been better than ending it with the Eclipse.
Spoiler:
Although if you've read the manga, you know that Skull Knight shows up and rescues Gutz and Caska.
They should have added that second spoiler into the series because it was so important part. When I finished with that series, I wondered how did they got out of that situation. If they're going to remake Berserk, they better get it right!
Old 12-11-09, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by big e
I'm glad you liked it Visitor Q, but Gantz was one series I couldn't f*!king stand the second time I tried watching it. I did not mind parting ways with that series (even though I got jack shit for it when I traded it in).
Different strokes I imagine, but I'd still be interested to hear where the primary problems stood with the series. The opinions are out there, but I like to hear everyone's .....

Film/series discussions make the world go around.
Old 12-12-09, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Berserk! My favorite anime.

Banner of the Stars hasn't had anything newly released in years...there's a new something available in Japan / fansubs...but still no conclusion in sight AFAIK
Old 12-13-09, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Different strokes I imagine, but I'd still be interested to hear where the primary problems stood with the series. The opinions are out there, but I like to hear everyone's .....

The main reason for my dislike of Gantz is that I didn't find any of the characters remotely likeable. Kurono was a whiney bitch, the girl (Kei?) was completely useless (aside from eye candy, although I personally didn't find her very attractive) also very whiney and I thought she was a very pathetic person (although that may have been intentional), and Kurono's buddy was just a crybaby. I also though the characters spent too much time standing around bitching at each other instead of doing stuff.
Old 12-14-09, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I actually surprised that you liked it. I remembered that you thought it was weak and bad story... Let me see if I can find that thread...

Okay, found it.

I couldn't agree with you more about the characters and the pacing. The two male characters are blubbering infantile idiots. I realize they are suppose to be young, but they are scripted more like elementary school than late high school. The whole "Hard On" Kei gimimick gets old (as have many of the schticks). The other irritating aspects are long drawn out points that have already been established. OK, we get the point, move along! And the melodramatics are way over the top.

Some better editing and script work and the story as a whole could improve from an OK rating to a very good. I've enjoyed the development, the story hasn't become stagnant yet ... though I've fast forwarded more than I'd care to admit, "Melons" provides some good fan service (she is smoking!!) even though that's really been her only use as a character, the series definitely doesn't hold back on the violence/nudity aspects - which is always a good thing.

So overall, it's unbalanced and could easily use some improvement, but there are aspects that I've enjoyed. I'm mostly interested to see where this is all heading (even if I do have to FF a few times to get there).

Oh yeah, and I'm pissed that my favorite (and most intriguing) character has already been killed off ....
Tell me what changed your mind on this series?
Old 12-24-09, 09:11 PM

Not sure what you consider a "proper ending," but to me, most Anime series fall apart near the end whether they have a clearcut ending or not.
Old 02-01-10, 02:00 PM
Cool New Member

It would have been impossible to do - the Gantz manga is still ongoing as we speak, so there is no ending to be had.

But I really liked Gantz and thought its "ending" was in keeping with the philosophical ideas of the final mission.
Old 02-02-10, 12:47 AM

Soul Eater. Berserk. Kurozuka. Elfen Lied (in a way).
Old 09-30-10, 05:29 PM

Anime in general tend to the ridiculous towards the end...an all-out Ragnarok situation where loves are confessed, friendships betrayed, planets vaporized and manly howls are made while holding dead people. And clumsily done, at that.

I think you'd come up with a much shorter list if you asked people to name series that ended properly.
Old 10-04-10, 10:31 PM
Cool New Member

Outlaw star was a great series except for the end... I mean the way to defeat the newly all-powerful bad guy.... Let's fly the space ship through his face...

Escaflowne and the gundam series' usually have decent endings with the loose ends tied up.
Old 10-10-10, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Even though Berserk didn't have an appropriate ending, I believe it still had an effective one. It was assumed that the series would continue, but that never happened.

Gungrave is a show that could have had a better ending.
Old 10-11-10, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Witch Hunter Robin. That ending drove me insane.
Old 10-11-10, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm surprised nobody talked about the infamous ending from this anime series: Neon Genesis Evangelion. I have the series on DVD and still cannot figure out why they did those last two episodes.

(Mind you, I've read one story that GAINAX ran out of money producing that show and that's why they did that ending as a cost-cutting measure.)

The only anime shows I've seen that actually had something resembling a decent ending were Bishoujo Senshi Sailormoon (five seasons), Kaleido Star (two seasons plus two story-related OVA's) and ARIA (three seasons plus one story-related OVA).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.