Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

Anime that you wish had proper endings.

Old 10-11-10, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Anime that you wish had proper endings.

Originally Posted by Liontamer View Post
Not sure what you consider a "proper ending," but to me, most Anime series fall apart near the end whether they have a clearcut ending or not.
Agreed. I don't know what it is about animes that make them do this. And it is animes and not even mangas. Case in point, Akira. I know the anime was completed before the manga, but the manga had a good, proper ending that tied everything up. Unlike the anime, that went completely nebulous route and tried to make things all faux-existential.
Old 10-11-10, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by RayChuang View Post
I'm surprised nobody talked about the infamous ending from this anime series: Neon Genesis Evangelion. I have the series on DVD and still cannot figure out why they did those last two episodes.
I thought Evangelion's ending was retconned in those two movies that were released afterwards (although I've never seen the series or movies, so I may not know what I'm talking about here).
Old 10-12-10, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The creator had a nervous breakdown and the show reflected that as it drifted away from reality. According to anime legend the follow-up movies were a giant FU to the studio for making him return to it and he took it out on the characters.

The wikipedia link to the show is amazing. I recommend any fan of the show to read through it.
Old 10-13-10, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Navinabob View Post
The creator had a nervous breakdown and the show reflected that as it drifted away from reality. According to anime legend the follow-up movies were a giant FU to the studio for making him return to it and he took it out on the characters.

The wikipedia link to the show is amazing. I recommend any fan of the show to read through it.
That would... um... explain "that scene" (do I really need to point out which one?).
Old 11-04-10, 05:47 PM

So will the "new" Evangelion have the proper ending?