Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Anime Talk
Reload this Page >

Just Finished....Up Next!

Community
Search
Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-09, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just Finished:

Gurren Lagann - Prepare to faint but overall this Anime was pretty good and this comes from someone that typically can't stand Anime with any Mecha what so ever in it. It was funny, stunning, and did the story change suddenly at the drop of a hat. The plot overall was stupid...but the character interactions were about as funny as it gets. My jaw actually dropped a couple times throughout this series so I have to say bravo to the creators on this one.

A little Snow Fairy, Sugar - It was cute. Really that sums up this Anime quite well. An adventure of a fairy and a young girl who both go through various ups and downs...and of course mischief + accidents. The intro was about as cute as Strawberry Marshmallow.

Piano - Overall, it was honestly quite forgettable. It has only been a month or so and I can only remember fragments of the series. The storyline was not very strong either nor were the characters within it. It wasn't a bad Anime but it has no replay value.

Ai Yori Aoshi Enishi - I was hoping for so much more. Sadly, this short continuation really didn't focus as much on the two main characters as it should have...if you don't believe just watch the last couple of episodes. I was hoping for some kind of conclusion but... It wasn't terrible but it was hardly stunning unlike Ai Yori Aoshi. The second part actually brought the overall saga down...

Heroic Age - I was so drawn to this series that after watching Part 1...I had to run out to FYE and buy Part 2. I am finally finding some good space Anime. The visual/music in this series were stunning. The plot was entertaining and ended by closing all doors without leaving anything hanging. That is how you do it folks. Call me blind but I could see this series in several folks Top 25.

Kino's Journey - The series was only OK to me. It basically felt like a bunch of short stories to me. It didn't combine technology and magic very well throughout the travels... The series ended with more questions than anything. Many of the stories were entertaining and the author did provide a fair bit a background on the main character...but it felt like the series was missing something....

Shuffle - Drama, conflict, and which girl do I pick. That was shuffle for you. Quite frankly, it would be a lot better had it cut the middle of it out. It was an OK series as well. It didn't feel like this series had great replay value and a lot of the drama didn't feel very real; however, if you enjoyed Suzuka, Rumbling Hearts, and Aoshi...then you will find this quite watchable as well.

Chance Pop Session - Not bad...Not bad all considering this was only $9.00 from the daily deal from TRSI. It was only 13 episodes but the story and background was interesting and entertaining enough to keep my attention. I like whole concept of it even if some of scenes were repetitive and predictable. It's no BECK but I would lying if I said I didn't enjoy this series either. At least it was able to rap things up at the end...which seemed important for this series.

Comic Party: Revolution - I was sooo very disappointed in this. For some reason almost all the characters had a personality change. It felt like I watching something complete new or different. This might of been what the creators wanted...but it didn't work and felt terribly wrong. I found this nothing less than a butchered form of Comic Party....Tis a shame too...it completely lost what made it special.

I''s/I''s Pure - There wasn't much offered in this series. It had a strong start...and a good conclusion but the real meat or story if you will wasn't anything that wasn't offered by other similar Anime styles. Honestly, it was kind of forgettable overall but I would say it is at least worth a watch...at least once.

Ragnarok - If a group of adventures that go around fighting monster with a quest to save the world is your thing...then this Anime is for you. Some of the characters were more developed than others which could of helped the series a bit. The storyline felt dated...and wasn't too exciting.

Rune Soldier - This had what Ragnarok didn't. It had great characters that mixed well together because of the vast differences in their personalities. It led to several quite humorous scenes. It didn't have a very good conclusion but at least that left open potential for a sequel though highly unlikely. The plot wasn't strong...but then again it wasn't that bad either. I highly recommend you watch the series in jap with subs because one character got my nerves with the phase..."It's against my will!"

Sword of the Stranger - I was a bit let down by this movie. I was so excited by the previews that I really wanted to see it in the theater...but this is one of the movies where the preview pretty much shows everything there is to see. It was a good movie but falls short of great but a rather large margin. It needed more action...it had too many minor and pointless characters that didn't seem to fit. I don't know...I just wasn't sold on it. It lacked something special.

UP NEXT/Currently Watching List:

Rozen Maiden (started)
Mermaid Forest (started)
Gilgamesh (on hold)
Mushi-Shi (on hold)
Darker than Black (started)
Chrono Crusade (In Progress)
Red Garden (on hold)
Clannad Part 1 (In Progress)
Air (In Progress)
Desert Punk (In Progress)
Moribito (started)

Top Ten Overall:

1.) Samurai Champloo
2.) Death Note
3.) Rurouni Kenshin
4.) Gungrave
5.) Rumbling Hearts
6.) Beck
7.) Bleach
8.) Suzuka
9.) Ghost in the Shell
10.) Gurren Lagann

Honorable Mention:

Last Exile, Fate/Stay Night, Gun Sword, Genshiken, Le Chevalier D'Eon, Fullmetal Alchemist, Getbackers, My Hime, Kaliedo Star, DNAngel, Baki the Grappler S2, Samurai Deeper Kyo, Mushi-Shi, Samurai 7, Hellsing, Black Blood Brothers, Trinity Blood, Basilisk, Witch Hunter Robin, Hell Girl, Gantz, Afro Samurai, Peacemaker, Witchblade, Utawarerumono, Phantom Memory Kurau, Devil May Cry, Solty Rei, Strawberry Marshmallow, Hell Girl, Peach Girl, Tsubasa, Chobits, Wolf's Rain, Banner of the Stars, Crest of the Stars, Black Lagoon, Ai Yori Aoshi, Fushigi Yūgi, Gurren Lagann, A little Snow Fairy, Sugar, Ai Yori Aoshi Enishi, Kino's Journey, Chance Pop Session & Comic Party.

The What the Heck Was I Thinking List:

Neo Ranga, Gravitation, ES Otherwise, Samurai Gun, Ninja Scroll, Fooly Cooly, Boogiepop Phantom

The To Watch List:

Gunslinger Girl, 009-1, Heat Guy J, Madlax, Cromartie High School, FaFner, Noir, Black Cat, King of Bandit Jing, Gad Guard, Yugo The Negotiator, Galaxy Angel, To Heart, X, Shinchan, Saiyuki, Saiyuki Reloaded, Saiyuki Reloaded Gunlock, Zipang, Excel Saga, Karas, NowandThenHereandThere, Gankutsuou, Argentosoma, Kaze no Yojimbo, Koi Kaze, Full Metal Panic, Full Metal Panic TSR, Doki Doki School Hours, Ultramaniac, My-Z-Otome, Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Ghost Slayers Ayashi, Pumpkin Scissors, Kanon, Texhnolyze, Paradise Kiss, Please Twins, Boys Be..., Magical Shopping Arcade, Speed Grapher, Infinite Ryvius, Sister Princess, Dai-Guard, Zaion, Tweeny Witches, Kashimashi, Eureka Seven, Venus Versus Virus, When They Cry, XXXHolic, Zaion, Saint Seiya, Shonen Onmyouji, R.O.D the TV, Moon Phase, Negima, NieA Under 7, Kyo Kara Maoh!, Innocent Venus, Ghost Hunt, Glass Fleet, Flag, Bubblegum Crisis, City Hunter, Daphne in the Brilliant Blue, Blade of the Phantom Master & This Ugly Yet Beautiful World... (whew!)
Old 07-29-09, 03:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Just Finished....Up Next!

Yeah Gurren Lagann was insane, I loved it. Reminded me of Dead Leaves.

Yay, we finally got an anime Forum.
Old 07-29-09, 12:55 PM

Here's My Top 10 (Top 5 in no particular order) (Bottom 5 only tentative pending re-watch of all my anime)

1. Fullmetal Alchemist
2. Rurouni Kenshin
3. Mushi-Shi
4. Last Exile
5. Neon Genesis Evangelion
6. Yu Yu Hakusho
7. Full Metal Panic! TSR
8. Black Cat
9. Full Metal Panic
10. Black Blood Brothers

Just Finished

Last Exile - What a breath of fresh air. So different from anything I have ever watched. I had just finished Mushi-Shi which was at times an emotionally investing anime. Last Exile came and immediately brought me into a light and airy attitude. The visuals, the music, the world created was beautiful and memorable. One of my all-time favorites easily.

Up Next

Gundam Wing 25/49
Samurai 7 16/26
FMA Brotherhood 16/26
Samurai Champloo 16/26
Big Windup 4/26
Nabari no Ou 3/26
Gad Guard 2/26
Darker than Black 2/26
Le Chevalier D'Eon 1/26

Want to Get

Death Note
Bleach
Code Geass
Gurren Lagann
Old 07-29-09, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts

I finally just finished Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion season 1. I'm a mecha fanatic, so I liked it, though the interplay of Clamp character designs and mecha is a little jarring. Also the main character is actually a bad guy, which is pretty interesting... no wishy-washy mecha genius here.

Up next is to finish up Gurren Lagann and start Gundam 00. Also, in preparation for the upcoming SOC toy, I'll begin Tekkaman Blade.
Old 07-29-09, 02:54 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

in the process of watching The Big O - can't seem to get past episode 2, I think I ain't digging it.

watched:

Cool Devices Slave Warrior Maya I and II

Tokyo Pig - this was just plain out weird, but fun.
Old 07-29-09, 09:20 PM
DVD & Video Game Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just finished:
Wolf's Rain
Heroic Age
Claymore
Gungrave
Samurai Champloo

Up Next:
No idea! I have a MASSIVE backlog of titles from prior RightStuf! sales. I'm thinking maybe i'll watch Gun x Sword or Fate/Stay Night.

Shows I want to watch again soon:
Last Exile (so damn good!)
Tenchi Muyo! (been a while)
GitS (the Conan clip made me want to see it again)
Gurren Lagann (Easily one of my top ten!)

Shows I need to get:
Mushi-shi (i've been dying to pick this up!)
Old 07-29-09, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Currently watching

Heroic Age
D Gray Man
Kiba
Baccano
Ghost Slayers
Kaze No Stigma
Kenichi

Recently finished

Full Metal Panic TSR
Innocent Venus
Shakugan no Shana

Shows I recently tried to watch and couldnt get into:

Claymore
Buso Renkin
Speed Grapher
XXXholic
Old 07-29-09, 10:41 PM

How is Heroic Age?

For the record my favorite series are more story/character oriented.
Old 07-30-09, 10:01 PM
DVD & Video Game Reviewer

Originally Posted by Phod
How is Heroic Age?

For the record my favorite series are more story/character oriented.
It's decent. Has some really nice bits, some really "meh" bits, and the ending is kind of disappointing. Up until the last episode I had a good time with it, though it's nothing too special or original.
Old 08-04-09, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Just Finished:
Texhnolyze. One of those crazy series where I had to check online to see if there were any deeper meanings to what happened. After I finished the last two volumes, I had to just sit there for a few minutes just to absorb everything that happened.
Lucky Star OVA
Full Metal Alchemist OVA

Currently Watching:
Last Exile (new series, just got it)
Kyo Kara Maoh!
Yu Yu Hakusho Season 3

Waiting in the wings:
Fafner (new series, just got it)
Welcome to the NHK (new series, just got it)

Last edited by Sorraffy; 08-04-09 at 01:17 AM.
Old 08-04-09, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Sorraffy

Currently Watching:
Last Exile (new series, just got it)
Last Exile is great. On the last disc now.
Old 08-05-09, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

I never got all the love for Last Exile. I thought it was ok, certainly not anything special.
Old 08-05-09, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 146 Likes on 93 Posts

I haven't "just finished" anything recently since I haven't had the time, but:

- Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam
- Bastard!!
- s-CRY-ed
- Overman King Gainer
- Galaxy Angel Z
- Stratos 4 + Return to Base OVA

In progress:

- Mars Daybreak

Up next:

- Wolf's Rain
- Planetes
- Cowboy Bebop
- Blue Submarine No. 6
- Yukikaze

Yes, most of these are thanks to Big Lots.
Old 08-05-09, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

I liked Last Exile, but I *really* liked Planetes. Most of the characters were very realistic, and I liked that it was somewhat episodic--plus it was the best of what science fiction is to me: the effects of one scientific advance on people and society.

I just finished Noein last night. I need a translator...quantum particles and place-site and all that gobbledygook. Oh well, I enjoyed even if I didn't really follow the "science:"

What's next....
Old 08-05-09, 10:18 PM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 533 Likes on 469 Posts

In Progress
  • Green Green
  • Magic Knight Rayearth: Season 1
  • Magic User's Club (TV)
  • Naruto (TV)
  • Otogi Zoshi
  • Urusei Yatsura (TV)

On Queue
  • Giant Robo
  • Kirameki Project
  • Phoenix
  • Sentimental Journey
  • Serphaim Call
  • The Astonishing Work of Tezuka Osamu

Watching via TV / Streaming
  • Bleach
  • Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
  • Moribito - Guardian of the Spirit

On Hold (until the next release)
  • D.Gray-man: S2P1
  • Darker than BLACK, Vol.6
  • Ghost Slayers Ayashi, Part 3
  • Hayate the Combat Butler, Part 2
  • Hunter X Hunter Boxset 3
  • Kannagi: Crazy Shrine Maidens, Vol.2
  • Kaze no Stigma, Part 2
  • Moribito - Guardian of the Spirit: Collection 3
  • One Piece: S2P2
  • Romeo × Juliet, Part 2
  • Yawara! A Fashionable Judo Girl: Boxset 2
Old 08-06-09, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just finished:
Godannar - really enjoyed it.

Trying to decide what to start now...
Old 08-06-09, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxflier

Trying to decide what to start now...
List your candidates and we'll have a vote on what you should watch next. I personally only watch one show at a time. I'm trying to finish up PaniPoni Dash so I can start something new but I keep falling asleep and have to go back and rewatch the episode. Up next for me will probably be School Rumble 2nd Semester.
Old 08-06-09, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Last time I watched anime was Sword of the Stanger two weekends ago. I'm getting 3rd disc of Mushi-Shi and it's just meh - I might stop watch it if the 3rd disc has not improved.

I'm thinking of taking a break from anime (except for Gunslinger Girls 2 which due soon).
Old 08-06-09, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by McHawkson

I'm thinking of taking a break from anime (except for Gunslinger Girls 2 which due soon).
Sometimes you need to take a step away from anime in order to recharge your batteries.
Old 08-06-09, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
List your candidates and we'll have a vote on what you should watch next. I personally only watch one show at a time.
I'm the same way, one show at a time. And it takes me a long time to finish a show because I usually only watch 1 ep per day or so. Ok, here's some titles out of my qeue if you wanna vote which of these I should watch next:

Basilisk
.hack//Roots
Hell Girl
Noir
Otogi Zoshi
Scrapped Princess
Trinity Blood

Last edited by Maxflier; 08-06-09 at 03:16 PM.
Old 08-06-09, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^

A good selection to choose from. I vote for Noir.
Old 08-06-09, 08:59 PM

I'm the same way, one show at a time. And it takes me a long time to finish a show because I usually only watch 1 ep per day or so. Ok, here's some titles out of my qeue if you wanna vote which of these I should watch next:

Basilisk
.hack//Roots
Hell Girl
Noir
Otogi Zoshi
Scrapped Princess
Trinity Blood
Hmm...some decent shows there. If you only watch 1 episode per day then Hell Girl is idea format for each episode is a different story. Hell Girl is far from the best of that lot though.

Basilisk if you want some background and story with action and violence.

Trinity Blood is probably not a good series to go at one episode at a time. I found it hard to absorb. Watch only one episode at a time and you might not finish this one.

Personally, though if you want something with decent characters and a balance of action and fantasy that will provoke some emotional thought then go with Scrapped Princess. Its not too demanding....and well not hard on the eyes...lol
Old 08-06-09, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sometimes you need to take a step away from anime in order to recharge your batteries.
Yeah, either that or there's no other good anime series that I would like. I'm keeping my close eye on this forum for any good anime releases.

Basilisk
.hack//Roots
Hell Girl
Noir
Otogi Zoshi
Scrapped Princess
Trinity Blood
^

A good selection to choose from. I vote for Noir.
Noir is slow pacing anime - same maker of .hack//SIGN and Madlax - but very intriguing character and story. I agreed with what mordaane comment on few animes.
Old 08-07-09, 09:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fujishig
I finally just finished Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion season 1. I'm a mecha fanatic, so I liked it, though the interplay of Clamp character designs and mecha is a little jarring. Also the main character is actually a bad guy, which is pretty interesting... no wishy-washy mecha genius here.
One of the guys I work with considers Code Geass the greatest story ever told. He keeps saying that the second season blows away the first season.

He actually made me sit through a marathon of the first season and I liked it even though I'm not a Clamp fan.

I just finished up Air Gear which I thought was OK and now I'm working on Air.
Old 08-07-09, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hmmm, Bandai has all 25 eps up on Youtubes......I may have to check it out.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.