DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Anime Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/anime-talk-72/)
-   -   Post your Top 5 classic Anime (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/anime-talk/558751-post-your-top-5-classic-anime.html)

MVoss 07-24-09 01:41 PM

Post your Top 5 classic Anime

1) Ninja Scroll!! (duh)
2) Vampire Hunter D
3) Wicked City
4) Akira
5) Neon Genesis Evangelion series

what about you?

fujishig 07-24-09 01:59 PM

Re: Post your Top 5 classic Anime

Woah, your definition of classic seems much different than mine. What do you mean by classic? Before 2000?

arminius 07-24-09 02:10 PM

Cowboy Beebop
Trigun
Full Metal Panic
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Outlaw Star

statcat 07-24-09 02:13 PM

Speed Racer
Kimba
Vampire Hunter D
Golgo
Lupin 3rd

MVoss 07-24-09 03:27 PM

Ya I guess your right, maybe should be your favorite 5 Anime's you first got into or something, but 90's era yes. :/

Sweet Baby James 07-24-09 03:33 PM

From the 90's, off the top of my head-

Cowboy Bebop
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Trigun
Escaflowne
Serial Experiments Lain

MVoss 07-24-09 03:59 PM

I haven't seen Trigun yet, I guess I'm going to have to pick that up and check it out

Ralph Jenkins 07-24-09 05:08 PM

Vampire Hunter D, Wicked City and Akira are from the '80s. But anyway, here are mine:

1. Super Dimension Fortress Macross: Do You Remember Love? (1984)
2. Kimagure Orange Road (1987)
3. Bubblegum Crisis (1987)
4. Windaria (1986)
5. Angel's Egg (1985)

Others that I like a lot: Galaxy Express 999, Megazone 23, Vampire Princess Miyu, Maison Ikkoku, Record of Lodoss War

fujishig 07-24-09 06:37 PM

These were the first that I remember seeing (this is heavily influenced by the robot genre, which unfortunately does not seem very popular here). As a kid, I understood a very small amount of Japanese, but watching these raw without subtitles is what got me into anime:

Mazinger Z (1973), which actually was shown before I was born, but which I loved because of the toys and the sequels (Great Mazinger, Grendizer). Finally released in 1985 as Tranzor Z here. A remake is airing now.
Brave Raideen (1976): the chogokin toy was actually my first toy, passed down from my cousin.
Space Captain Harlock: Still my favorite of Leiji Matsumoto's space operas, even surpassing my love of Space Battleship Yamato/Star Blazers. The thing is, I have no idea which of the series is the one I saw as a kid. It certainly was not Macek's butchering of the series, which came after he did Robotech, but I cannot remember exactly.
Mobile Suit Gundam (1979): they showed this, raw, in a Japanese dept. store in the mall every Summer.
Superdimensional Fortress Macross (1982). Loved the mecha so much that I didn't even notice the changes Macek made when this was released as the first part of Robotech in 1985

Later on, we'd also borrow raw tapings of Japanese tv shows from the local video store, and I'd be remiss if I neglected Akira Toriyama's Dragon Ball. There were many, many shonen titles that I loved, mainly because the fighting storylines were basic enough that you didn't need to understand what they were saying, but we would always be eager to watch Dragon Ball first.

In what I like to consider the era of translated Anime on VHS (oh, the hundreds of dollars of tapes I spent my money on), I remember these fondly:

Aim For the Top/Gunbuster
: I still remember US Renditions releasing this and Dangaioh in those clamshell cases in 1990.
Kimagure Orange Road: Despite my love for Ranma, I was never much of a Urusei Yatsura or Bubblegum Crisis fan, so this always stands out to me as my first Animeigo tapes
Ranma 1/2: I followed the manga closely, but I grew to love the dubbing on Viz's early release.
Neon Genesis Evangelion: I remember buying the subbed tapes, two or so episodes at a time, eagerly awaiting each new release. That last tape was a letdown, I won't lie, and I still have never watched either of the movies.
My Neighbor Totoro: perhaps not the best Miyazaki film, but still my favorite.

Abe. 07-25-09 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by MVoss (Post 9594750)
I haven't seen Trigun yet, I guess I'm going to have to pick that up and check it out

Make sure you get the remixed versions, and avoid bootlegs.

Sweet Baby James 07-25-09 08:46 AM

^

All 6 volumes of Trigun Remix are part of the 10 for $50/25 for $100 sale at Rightstuf.

Giantrobo 07-26-09 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 9595072)
These were the first that I remember seeing (this is heavily influenced by the robot genre, which unfortunately does not seem very popular here). As a kid, I understood a very small amount of Japanese, but watching these raw without subtitles is what got me into anime:

Mazinger Z (1973), which actually was shown before I was born, but which I loved because of the toys and the sequels (Great Mazinger, Grendizer). Finally released in 1985 as Tranzor Z here. A remake is airing now.
Brave Raideen (1976): the chogokin toy was actually my first toy, passed down from my cousin.

Yes, those 2 plus Getter Robo G (Dragon), UFO Daipolon (Weird Football themed robot), and some others I can't remember right now are some of my earliest Anime memories from back in the 70's. Brave Raideen being my particular favorite. They aired here in LA on channel 52 before it turned Spanish Language.

outcastja 07-26-09 01:28 PM

Is there any word if these classics from the 90s or any of Miyazaki films will be released on Blu-Ray?

stingermck 07-26-09 05:05 PM

My top 5 regardless of release year:

Serial Experiments Lain
Project A-Ko
Ghost in The Shell Movie/SAC
Sakura Diaries
Goldenboy

arminius 07-26-09 06:26 PM

Oh yeah, I forgot Aika The Naked Missions.

RichC2 07-26-09 09:02 PM

Aye, my favorite regardless of year:

1. Serial Experiments Lain
2. Cowboy Bebop
3. Great Teach Onizuka
4. My Neighbor Totoro
5. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (original)

WTK 07-27-09 10:50 AM

In no order...
  • Conan, the Boy in Future
  • Doraemon
  • Gunbuster
  • Kimagure Orange Road
  • Maison Ikkoku

WTK 07-27-09 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by outcastja (Post 9597530)
Is there any word if these classics from the 90s or any of Miyazaki films will be released on Blu-Ray?

Ponyo will likely be the first Ghibli film to get the BD treatment in the U.S.

Giles 07-27-09 11:55 AM

Project A-Ko
Silent Mobius
Galaxy Express 999
Wings of Honneamise
Star Blazers

Giantrobo 07-27-09 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Giles (Post 9599080)
Project A-Ko

Oh yeah! :up:

My pics more or less:

1. Giant Robo
2. Akira
3. Ghost in the Shell
4. Brave Raideen
5. Getter Robo

Maxflier 07-27-09 03:23 PM

Not sure if these are all old enough to be considered "classic", but here you go:

Cowboy Bebop (this show is untouchable for me, it will forever be #1)

Golgo 13 (The Professional & Queen Bee)
GTO (Great Teacher Onizuka)
Initial D
Kite
Cosmo Warrior Zero
Burn Up Excess

mordaane 07-28-09 12:17 AM

Akira
Berserk
Fûshigi Yûgi
Lensman
Rurouni Kenshin

Haven't gotten around to a lot of the older stuff. About as old as your going to get for me...at least for a while.

Tom Creo 07-28-09 01:02 AM

Urotsukidōji I: Legend of the Overfiend
Golgo 13
Fist of the Northstar
Akira
Kiki's Delivery Service

Tscott 07-28-09 07:37 AM

1. Serial Experiments Lain
2. Cowboy Bebop
3. Boogiepop Phantom
4. Now and Then, Here and There
5. Perfect Blue

kakihara1 07-28-09 09:12 AM

Regardless of year:

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Lucky Star
Azumanga Daioh
Bubblegum Crisis
Chobits
Serial Experiments: Lain

I'm not huge on the action stuff and the goofy comedy slice of life stuff is what I'm all about.