Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Anime Talk
Reload this Page >

List Your Favorite Manga

Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

List Your Favorite Manga

Old 07-30-09, 01:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: List Your Favorite Manga

hands down: Nausicaa
Old 08-07-09, 02:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Current top 5 in no particular order
Berserk
Genshiken
Maison Ikkoku
20th Century Boys
Pluto
Old 08-07-09, 03:16 AM

Hmm..

I love the Akira manga series, but I hate the anime. If only they could have fleshed it out more!

The Battle Royale series is epic! Comparatively, I found the movie lacking, it was hard to care about the characters when they didn't have enough time to show their stories. I haven't read the novel(s).

Blade of the Immortal is very good so far, up to around volume 11 in the trade paperbacks. I hope the anime isn't too horrid, despite all the complaints I hear.

Monster was pretty thrilling. I'm looking forward to seeing the anime series.

Honorable mentions go to: Godchild (Would love to see a series, really love the dark stuff), Ouran High School Host Club (Funny, if you're into the pretty boy stereotypes), Pet Shop of Horrors (I like how the stories can go either way, happy or horrifying), Yakitate!! Japan (Didn't expect much but found it to be very funny), Absolute Boyfriend (Hey, where can I get a manbot like that? *eyeshift, whistles*)
Old 08-07-09, 02:36 PM
Cool New Member

My favorite manga^
THE One - THE BEST))))
100% Perfect Girl - really nice^^
Midnight Secretary - *-*
1/2 Prince - really cool
Old 09-08-09, 07:03 PM

Fullmetal Alchemist
Shaman King
Akira
Blood the Last Vampire
Old 09-09-09, 11:54 PM
Cool New Member

Dr Slump - the funniest thing i have ever read. laugh out loud funny.

Naussica

I love all of Rumiko Takahashi's works but Maisson Ikkoku is my favorite.

Midori Days. Cute & funny. Fairly short series. The author didn't let it drag on like a lot of manga do.
Old 09-10-09, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Because the NANA anime series finally came out in English and I picked up Box Set 1, I started re-reading the "Nana" manga. It's a masterpiece. Best Shojo manga I've read and a real nice authentic glimpse of contemporary Tokyo youth culture. (Well, to be honest, I don't know how "authentic" it is, but it sure seems like it.)
Old 10-04-10, 11:21 PM
Cool New Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Naruto
Onepiece
Soul Eater
Gantz
Black Lagoon
Old 05-05-11, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 237 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by fiver View Post
There were 23 volumes of HNG released in Japan and 15 so far in the US. I haven't read all 23 volumes myself but I don't believe there is any real closure at the end. I do enjoy the story as it goes though.

Michael
I read the last volume (in English) of Hikaru No Go this week. It did end pretty abruptly, and you don't really get any closure on any of the dozens of characters (or even Sai) they introduced throughout the series... was this canceled abruptly due to the creators or something? I thought it was pretty popular in Japan. I guess there was only so long they could go with Hikaru playing Go, and it was still enjoyable right up to the end.

Mentioned in the comic forum, but I've been catching up on Urasawa's 20th Century Boys, which is just amazing... I don't really want to catch up to the US release schedule because I'll have to wait, but I consumed all 6 volumes I bought (6 - 11) in basically a couple of sittings. As someone else mentioned, his Pluto is also great... have to find my Dark Horse Astro Boy volumes to re-read Tezuka's original.

As someone who grew up on Shonen Jump titles, I just love One Piece, which never seems to go in the direction you expect it to.
Old 10-29-19, 09:43 PM

The first manga I read from beginning to end was Sailor Moon, and it definitely is a favourite of mine to the point that I even own several print-outs of the characters such as Serenity, Mamoru, Luna and Artemis.
Other notable mentions include GS Mikami, Flame of Recca, Detective School Q, Detective Conan, and The Kindaichi Case Files.
However, I wasn't able to read all the volumes.