Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Anime Talk
Reload this Page >

AKIRA coming to Blu-Ray in February 2009; re-released by FUNimation in November 2013

Community
Search
Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

AKIRA coming to Blu-Ray in February 2009; re-released by FUNimation in November 2013

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-09, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
re: AKIRA coming to Blu-Ray in February 2009; re-released by FUNimation in November 2013

Originally Posted by Josh Z
I didn't realize that the slipcover even has an obi strip. Kind of cool for anyone who's ever collected Japanese DVDs or laserdiscs.
I thought that looked odd.

A few CDs I have came with obi strips.
Old 02-26-09, 11:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: AKIRA coming to Blu-Ray in February 2009; re-released by FUNimation in November 2013

"Obie Trice, real name no gimmicks."

Uhhh, what's a obi strip?
Old 02-26-09, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WepaMan
"Obie Trice, real name no gimmicks."

Uhhh, what's a obi strip?
Let me google that for you
Old 02-26-09, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Does anyone know if this has been delayed in Canada?

I could have sworn HMV had it listed as releasing on 2/24. It was listed as $47.99 but there was no stock anywhere. I went to an HMV store yesterday to inquire about it, and they showed several copies on order at all stores, with a promo price of $39.99.

This morning I check the HMV website again and it's listed at $39.99, but the release date is showing as 03/24!

Neither Future Shop nor Best Buy have it listed on their website, at all.

I am ready to plunk down $39.99 for it (believe it or not), if I can get the first run pressing ... but I just have a disturbing feeling, if the 3/24 release date is true, that we'll be getting the second pressing up here ... >:-(
Old 02-26-09, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Yavin
Does anyone know if this has been delayed in Canada?

I could have sworn HMV had it listed as releasing on 2/24. It was listed as $47.99 but there was no stock anywhere. I went to an HMV store yesterday to inquire about it, and they showed several copies on order at all stores, with a promo price of $39.99.

This morning I check the HMV website again and it's listed at $39.99, but the release date is showing as 03/24!

Neither Future Shop nor Best Buy have it listed on their website, at all.

I am ready to plunk down $39.99 for it (believe it or not), if I can get the first run pressing ... but I just have a disturbing feeling, if the 3/24 release date is true, that we'll be getting the second pressing up here ... >:-(
My order on amazon.ca got pushed to 3/24 so i canceled and ordered from amazon.com to get the first pressing and it's shipping now It's a bit more than 39,99$ but at least you will get the first pressing edition.
Old 02-27-09, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Any one compare the two trueHD soundtracks? They English language sounds like a typical TrueHD track. The Japanese language sounds more immersive, with all these little sounds in the backround. My question is on my receiver's display the english trueHD track show's up as trueHD in big letters. The Japanese track shows up as DVD stereo on the display....but in small letters on the top of the display the dolby logo is lit up and next to it in red letters trueHD is on highlighted. MY receiver is a Onkyo 606. I checked all my settings on the Blu disc and I had all the right settings. I even checked the 2.0 japanese pcm track to see if it was mislabeled. Anyone else have this weird setting?
Old 02-27-09, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by TylerDurden_73
Any one compare the two trueHD soundtracks? They English language sounds like a typical TrueHD track. The Japanese language sounds more immersive, with all these little sounds in the backround. My question is on my receiver's display the english trueHD track show's up as trueHD in big letters. The Japanese track shows up as DVD stereo on the display....but in small letters on the top of the display the dolby logo is lit up and next to it in red letters trueHD is on highlighted. MY receiver is a Onkyo 606. I checked all my settings on the Blu disc and I had all the right settings. I even checked the 2.0 japanese pcm track to see if it was mislabeled. Anyone else have this weird setting?
Does yours play right? The Japanese TrueHD track has no center channel sound on mine.
Old 02-27-09, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by naitram
Does yours play right? The Japanese TrueHD track has no center channel sound on mine.
You are right, no center channel sound. Any others?
Old 02-27-09, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

someone at blu-ray .com brought up the fact it might be a compatibility problem with the receiver,or player since it is the only true 192khz/24bit 5.1 audio track.
Old 02-27-09, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Mine seems to be working OK. I have a Panasonic BD-35 bitstreaming to a Denon 3808. The receiver correctly displayed 192kz, and the Japanese Dolby TruHD soundtrack was clearly audible on all six channels.

(One oddity I did notice what that the image appears to be window-boxed. My display does not overscan, so I am used to a 1.85:1 image not filling up the screen top & bottom, but this Blu-ray appears to have small "bars" on all four sides.....anyone else notice this?)
Old 02-27-09, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
Mine seems to be working OK. I have a Panasonic BD-35 bitstreaming to a Denon 3808. The receiver correctly displayed 192kz, and the Japanese Dolby TruHD soundtrack was clearly audible on all six channels.

(One oddity I did notice what that the image appears to be window-boxed. My display does not overscan, so I am used to a 1.85:1 image not filling up the screen top & bottom, but this Blu-ray appears to have small "bars" on all four sides.....anyone else notice this?)
Regarding the window-boxing ... yes, this is what I read as well. Can't remember if it was in a Blu-ray.com, DVDBeaver, or highdefdigest review. Probably the DVDBeaver review. Unnecessary, yes.
Old 02-27-09, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Mine was estimated to arrive today but isn't here yet. Hopefully I'll get it tommorow.

The USPS tracking system is terrible and doesn't update half the time. I had a package from Amazon delivered over a week ago that hasn't even hit "out for delivery" status yet! Anyone else having a similiar problem lately?
Old 02-27-09, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by kevin_y
Why would the viewer confuse "Kaneda" with "Canada" when (a) the name is shown as "Kaneda" in the subtitles, and (b) the film has nothing whatsoever to do with Canada the country?

Regarding your preference for localization for American viewers' benefit, maybe you assume the English dub is only for American viewers. Well, it's not. The old dub was, with its bravado over the top voice acting, mispronunciations of Japanese names just so they sounded "natural" to American viewers, and other cringe-inducing attempt to "Americanize" it. Maybe they should make another localized English dub with British accents and lingo for British viewers, another one with Aussie accents and lingo for Aussie viewers... LOL.

The new dub is immensely better because it is more ACCURATE on all counts in depicting what the original Japanese film is all about. Kei's voice is lower-pitched, and less annoyingly girly like in the old dub). Masaru no longer sounds like an old man, but like a child. Japanese names are pronounced correctly: AH-kee-ra, KAH-nee-dah, KAH-oh-ri. All these things were done according to how they were done the original Japanese soundtrack, and this is how a foreign language dub SHOULD be done. The 2001 Pioneer DVD includes interviews of the voice actors for the new dub, who certainly deserve to be mentioned.

Many of those who like the old dub because they prefer it for nostalgic reasons, similar to their preference of those cringe-inducing Shaw Brothers English dubs made in the 70s, which to this day westerners are still using to make mock of Asian films and actors. We are now living in a more enlightened era so it's time to retire these outdated practices.
You actually have the gall to criticize the old dub for it's over the top performances while neglecting to mention the downright boring performances of the redub? Pronunciations shouldn't be a big factor in comparing the dubs. And the voice actors of the new dub do not deserve to be mentioned.

Also you neglected to mention Kei sounded like a 30 year old in the new dub. I guess it didn't occur to you that lower pitches for 17-year old females is a bad idea.
Old 02-27-09, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Yavin
Regarding the window-boxing ... yes, this is what I read as well. Can't remember if it was in a Blu-ray.com, DVDBeaver, or highdefdigest review. Probably the DVDBeaver review. Unnecessary, yes.
You are correct. I found the quote from Beaver:

NOTE: The image has a black border circumventing the frame marginally limiting the horizontal resolution. We've see this before in Japanese animation to counter overscan on production TV sets, but as this will be on HD systems it seems inappropriate.
Old 02-28-09, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by tonymontana313
Ok somebody dropped the ball on this. Either Honnemaise didn't make many of these or Best Buy didn't order a bunch, most BBs in Houston were sold out of these. I was lucky to have done in store pick up on this on Sunday so mine was already at Customer Service but most stores were sold out by around noon.
Best Buy in Humble had only 5 of these in-store.
Old 03-01-09, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well I did some tinkering around and I am pretty sure it is the player. I had to set the to direct on the receiver for 192khz because the auto setting wouldn't do it, and turn the secondary audio on to do the PCM conversion and that seemed to work.
Old 03-01-09, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm going to watch my copy tonight. Here's to hoping my equipment will play the 192khz track.
Old 03-02-09, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another field beta-test... and at $50 MSRP for a slim featured release. I'm gonna pass on this one and wait for the follow-up that's sure to appear.
Old 03-02-09, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Picked up the Blu-ray as a blind buy tonight at Best Buy for $17.99 as part of their 50%-off anime clearance. I'm not too big on anime, but there are a few series I admire and this is considered such an essential that I figured it was worth a try.
Old 03-02-09, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Damn that's a good price, wish I hadn't opened mine yet or I'd take it back and re-buy it for half-price.

The True-HD track doesn't work for me anyway, pretty much took the steam out of my excitement for it. The DD 5.1 track is ok, nothing special, and it seems some of the sound effects have changed...? Anyone else on that? I should have waited to sell my DTS version to compare....
Old 03-03-09, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Cosmic Bus
Picked up the Blu-ray as a blind buy tonight at Best Buy for $17.99 as part of their 50%-off anime clearance. I'm not too big on anime, but there are a few series I admire and this is considered such an essential that I figured it was worth a try.
Does anyone have any more info on this 50% off anime sale? Is it applied at the register or do you have to ask for it?
Old 03-03-09, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
Does anyone have any more info on this 50% off anime sale? Is it applied at the register or do you have to ask for it?
Taking the percentage off Blu-ray is extremely YMMV as it will not take it off automatically. You could have a manager override it or they could end up saying that the 50% off only applies to dvds.
Old 03-13-09, 02:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

For those of you having audio issues, I found an interesting post over at AVS:

Originally Posted by JimHigh
And I'll put this out there as well for those having issues with the 2 speakers only on the 192khz track. My Onkyo 705 defaulted to stereo when I first turned on the movie, then I clicked one of the surround buttons on my remote, and I got multichannel (5.1) and direct (5.1). I can't beleive theres so many folks having issues. All the decoding is done by the PS3 and MOST blu ray players. All your receiver has to do is be compatible with 192khz pcm, and be able to split it up to speakers from the PCM sent through hdmi. There's alot of receivers capable of this.

Another thing my 705 Onkyo manual said is that when receiving a bitstream of true-hd Dolby, the max is 96khz/24 bit, and not to mention my PS3 wont output bitstream via hdmi. The only thing my receiver can do with 192khz audio is receive it as PCM. So I think the folks who are having issues need to check their player's settings and switch to PCM, not bitstream.
So it seems it's possibly a settings issue on most receivers. Kind of like what happens if you select STEREO on your receiver when your feeding it a 5.1/6.1/7.1 signal. For whatever reason, the receiver is defaulting to STEREO and you just have to select MULTICHANNEL or whatver the equivalent mode is called on your receiver.
Old 03-14-09, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hmmm I just got my set today. I'll probably have to check if the audio turned out fine on mine. But I have to say the packaging looks terribly gorgeous
Old 03-14-09, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by tonymontana313
Taking the percentage off Blu-ray is extremely YMMV as it will not take it off automatically. You could have a manager override it or they could end up saying that the 50% off only applies to DVDs.
YMMV, very much so. I found one at a BB participating in the Anime sale, but it rang up at full-price. Customer "Service" said no. Thanks again, Best Buy.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.