Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Anime Talk
Reload this Page >

Official ANIME Discussion Thread

Community
Search
Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

Official ANIME Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-08, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts
Originally Posted by Takeshi357
Not that anyone really cares, but there's a new Hokuto no Ken box set coming out on 28th (only in Japan) to commemorate the 25th anniversary of the franchise, with the whole series remastered in HD, spanning 26 discs plus two discs of bonus material, a deluxe booklet and repro promo poster from before the show premiered.

There's also a limited edition with a Kenshiro and Koku-oh action figure, but none of this matters because the box set doesn't have any english subs of course and costs over 1000 US dollars.

Oh well, the next time someone complains about anime being expensive...
I was seriously considering the Kinnikuman set, with every (M.U.S.C.L.E.) figure included, for 100000 yen:

http://www.toei-video.co.jp/DVD/sp21/kinnikubox.html

but I'm sure my wife would kill me.
Old 03-07-08, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dude, that set looks soooo awesome.
Old 03-08-08, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Carving the molds for all of those figures probably drove more than one man insane.
Old 03-10-08, 08:22 AM

http://www.toei-anim.co.jp/dvd/hokutonoken/

No pictures of the box, for shame.
Old 03-11-08, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got a question regarding Appleseed....

There are several Appleseed series at Rightstuf and not sure which is which:

Appleseed DVD (Hyb)
Appleseed DVD (Hyb) (Essence of Anime)
Appleseed DVD (Hyb) - Feature Only
Appleseed: Ex Machina DVD (Hyb)

I'm guessing that there are 3 separate stories - I think I saw Feature Only on Cinemax or something - the one with CGI. And I think the first one and Essence of Anime are same ones.

So, should I watch the first one then Feature and then Ex Machina?
Old 03-12-08, 11:08 AM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 528 Likes on 465 Posts
Appleseed DVD (Hyb)
Appleseed DVD (Hyb) (Essence of Anime)
I haven't seen this myself yet. This is the original Appleseed movie/OVA licensed by Manga Entertainment. It was adapted from the manga. This was from the 1980s. I would say this will be the worst of the three Appleseed movies.
Appleseed DVD (Hyb) - Feature Only
This was licensed by Geneon Entertainment. There were 3 releases for this (feature only, 2-disc collector's edition - steelbook, and 2-disc collector's edition with figure). This was adapted directly from the manga as well. You don't need to watch the Manga release before watching this.
Appleseed: Ex Machina DVD (Hyb)
This is licensed by Warner Brothers. You should watch Appleseed (Geneon) before watching this latest movie.
Old 03-12-08, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by WTK
I haven't seen this myself yet. This is the original Appleseed movie/OVA licensed by Manga Entertainment. It was adapted from the manga. This was from the 1980s. I would say this will be the worst of the three Appleseed movies.
And you would be wrong in saying that. There is a reason why there are more Appleseed movies coming out now you know and the original movie is one of them. Just bcause it is from the 80s doesn't mean it automatically sucks. In fact, I much prefer anime made in the 70s & 80s. It just looks better and has none of the computer "help" that makes all anime these days look the same as one another.
Old 03-12-08, 10:31 PM
WTK

Originally Posted by carnage6
And you would be wrong in saying that. There is a reason why there are more Appleseed movies coming out now you know and the original movie is one of them. Just bcause it is from the 80s doesn't mean it automatically sucks. In fact, I much prefer anime made in the 70s & 80s. It just looks better and has none of the computer "help" that makes all anime these days look the same as one another.
When did I say that the original Appleseed OVA sucked because it's from the 80s? All I said was that the OVA was made in the 1980s. Even I don't like a series/OVA, it's my opinion and just as you have your own. I have nothing against older anime. I have watched anime from classics from Masterpiece Studios or series like Future Boy Conan.
Old 03-12-08, 10:35 PM
WTK

Originally Posted by WTK
Regular Edition: Retail Price: $29.98

Limited Edition: Retail Price: $64.98

Limited Edition Artbox:

LE Details:
  • Special Edition Artbox
  • "Motteke Sailor Foku" Opening CD
  • Konata Character CD
  • Girl's School Uniform (Winter) Print T-Shirt
  • Chocolate Cornet Screen Wipe
  • Alternate DVD Cover
Old 03-12-08, 10:43 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
I'd post this in the TV or HD forum but I know you anime folks would miss it- Comcast HD OnDemand started showing episodes of Samurai 7 and Speedgrapher, and I noticed there was also a episode of Avatar in the Nicktoons sections as well. All were true OAR HD (with the exception of Speedgrapher- which was upscaled) and looked amazing.
Old 03-13-08, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by WTK
When did I say that the original Appleseed OVA sucked because it's from the 80s? All I said was that the OVA was made in the 1980s. Even I don't like a series/OVA, it's my opinion and just as you have your own. I have nothing against older anime. I have watched anime from classics from Masterpiece Studios or series like Future Boy Conan.
Well, it's little bit unfair to call the first one "worst of three" if you haven't seen it.

Now I know that there are three Appleseed, I will make a purchase all three DVDs - doesn't matter if one of them are worst. I just like to watch whole thing in order (remember, I made a mistake with Fullmetal Achemist. )
Old 03-13-08, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by carnage6
The original movie/OVA was way too simplistic for Shirow's style (really, what isn't, though), and I think that's why it wasn't really met with acclaim back then. At least Dominion had a few episodes to flesh out the story. I'd think the new Appleseed movies coming out have more to do with the success of Ghost in the Shell movies and SAC... certainly it's not new Appleseed volumes coming out or anything.

It's not bad because it's from the 80's, but the 80's did churn out a lot of crap too, just like the 70's, the 90's and the 00's.

I don't think you'll miss much if you skip the original, but give it a shot. The manga is also highly recommended, I think Dark Horse is finally giving these an unflipped, cheaper release.

You know, I bought that Lucky Star release, but what the heck am I going to do with that shirt??? At least the Eureka 7 shirts aren't gaudy, I can't even wear that Lucky Star one around the house...
Old 03-13-08, 04:22 PM
WTK

Originally Posted by McHawkson
Well, it's little bit unfair to call the first one "worst of three" if you haven't seen it.

Now I know that there are three Appleseed, I will make a purchase all three DVDs - doesn't matter if one of them are worst. I just like to watch whole thing in order (remember, I made a mistake with Fullmetal Achemist. )
I guess I should have said that I have seen bits and pieces when it got aired on the Sci-Fi Channel. I knew enough about the OV, but just without seeing the whole thing. One of these days, I will watch it in its entirety.

Nevertheless, buying all three versions will definitely be the option. I will always support people buying anime...
Old 03-13-08, 04:27 PM
WTK

Originally Posted by fujishig
You know, I bought that Lucky Star release, but what the heck am I going to do with that shirt??? At least the Eureka 7 shirts aren't gaudy, I can't even wear that Lucky Star one around the house...
You should see what's coming up for the LEs T-Shirts. I know they are supposed to be joke shirts, but this is overdoing a bit.

Go to this link that ANN has provided to find t-shirt samples.

Last edited by WTK; 03-13-08 at 07:24 PM.
Old 03-13-08, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This may sound stupid, but I'm on the verge of cancelling my Lucky Star LE v. 1 preorder now. Certainly the stuff they put in the Harumi sets was pretty useless too, but this is more volumes and six shirts that will never see the light of day. In addition, if I buy LE1 and the rest non-LE, the covers won't match.

I appreciate the effort they put into making the LEs unique, I just don't think I'm the kind of fan they're marketing to...
Old 03-13-08, 07:59 PM
WTK

Originally Posted by fujishig
This may sound stupid, but I'm on the verge of cancelling my Lucky Star LE v. 1 preorder now. Certainly the stuff they put in the Harumi sets was pretty useless too, but this is more volumes and six shirts that will never see the light of day. In addition, if I buy LE1 and the rest non-LE, the covers won't match.

I appreciate the effort they put into making the LEs unique, I just don't think I'm the kind of fan they're marketing to...
I'm keeping my Vol.1 LE preorder. I cared for the artbox and the soundtracks. I'm leaning toward not getting the LEs for the rest of the series. I may change my mind if they add a lot more bonus add-ons that I want.
Old 03-13-08, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by WTK
I guess I should have said that I have seen bits and pieces when it got aired on the Sci-Fi Channel. I knew enough about the OV, but just without seeing the whole thing. One of these days, I will watch it in its entirety.

Nevertheless, buying all three versions will definitely be the option. I will always support people buying anime...
That's cool. Thanks.

I will let everyone know how it is.
Old 03-15-08, 10:43 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
Just saw my first anime ever!

"Appleseed: Ex Machina" was my first foray into the genre and boy was it a doozy. very good film. the action, the story was very good. it lacked a somewhat emotional/sentimental punch that i was kinda hoping for, but it was there somewhat.
Spoiler:
and the zombie apocalypse was an unexpected great touch
oh and what does the title actually mean? the appleseed and the ex machina part?

i liked it very much and will look for future installments. now, what else should i get into?? the "Blood+" seems up my alley. does that have an emotional angle? who knows, i don't want to go gung-ho as when i watch some animated tales that look realistic i find they lack the emotional kick of live-action. but, i will continue to test the waters for now.

Last edited by OldBoy; 03-15-08 at 10:45 PM.
Old 03-15-08, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Scott ... go back and watch the original and compare it with Ex Machina. I'd be interested to see if your perception of Ex Machina doesn't change. Hope it doesn't, but still ...

I actually find it interesting that you watched the follow up before the predecessor - though in reality, each could be stand-alone.
Old 03-16-08, 12:05 AM

I just finished the 3rd Geneon Strawberry Marshmallow DVD and this series has entered into my personal Top 5 Anime 'series' list. I loved it. There was some great writing that allowed these subtle moments of humor to be very funny without ruining the laid back feel of the setting.

But a have a few questions...

1) Watching the three Geneon DVDs, was I the only one to think that Miu could have easily grown up to become "Haruhi Suzumiya"?

2) I checked out the Anime News Network (where I tend to get lost) and one page seemed to suggest there was a sequel OAV series. I'm aware of the Geneon situation, but has anyone heard of plans to release this sequel in the U.S. (or just a subtitled version)?

3) As I said, I loved Strawberry Marshmallow. I also loved Kamichu. I prefer the type style of artwork in these two series, and they are kid safe enough to watch with my three year old daughter. Anyone have recommendations of other similar series?

4) When looking at the credits for a series like this (lets say the listing at the Anime News Network), who is more responsible for the series look and feel? The Director, Chief Animation Director, Producer, Animation producer, the Character Designer or some other position? Who should I be trying to trace to find other series of the same quality?

Thanks in advance...

Last edited by Smorri; 03-16-08 at 12:33 AM.
Old 03-16-08, 09:24 AM
WTK

Originally Posted by scott1598
now, what else should i get into?? the "Blood+" seems up my alley. does that have an emotional angle? who knows, i don't want to go gung-ho as when i watch some animated tales that look realistic i find they lack the emotional kick of live-action. but, i will continue to test the waters for now.
I personally liked Blood+, but it can be hard to recommend something like this to someone who is relatively new to anime. First this is a long series, there are 50 episodes. It's currently released as single volumes or boxset (there will be 2, provided that Sony Pictures releases the second one). Here are couple more things to note:
  • It's not your typical vampire anime
  • Dramatic/supernatural anime with spots of action
  • The series is rich in slow story telling and character developments
  • IMO, solid animation (it's from Production I.G...and they have done the likes of Ghost in the Shell)
  • More details can be found on the DVDTalk reviews (if you haven't read them yet): Vol.1 by Tood and Boxset 1 by John
Old 03-16-08, 09:24 AM
WTK

Originally Posted by Smorri
1) Watching the three Geneon DVDs, was I the only one to think that Miu could have easily grown up to become "Haruhi Suzumiya"?
It's certainly a possibility.
2) I checked out the Anime News Network (where I tend to get lost) and one page seemed to suggest there was a sequel OAV series. I'm aware of the Geneon situation, but has anyone heard of plans to release this sequel in the U.S. (or just a subtitled version)?
With the state of the anime industry, I don't believe any studio will touch this OVA. Never say never, but at the moment it's probably very unlikely. It's ashame that this hasn't been released in the U.S. yet.
3) As I said, I loved Strawberry Marshmallow. I also loved Kamichu. I prefer the type style of artwork in these two series, and they are kid safe enough to watch with my three year old daughter. Anyone have recommendations of other similar series?
Those two series are basically what is known as slice of life. Maybe try Azumanga Daioh, Bottle Fairy, or Sugar - A Little Snow Fairy. Here are some other slice of life series that I can think of (most aren't really suitable for a 3-year-old):
  • Ai Yori Aoshi / Enishi
  • BECK
  • Boys Be...
  • Diamond Daydreams
  • Emma: A Victorian Romance
  • Figure 17
  • Genshiken
  • GTO: Great Teacher Onizuka
  • Honey & Clover (I & II)
  • Kimagure Orange Road
  • Maison Ikkoku
  • Lucky ☆ Star
  • Nana (TV)
  • NieA Under 7
  • School Rumble
  • The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
  • To Heart
4) When looking at the credits for a series like this (lets say the listing at the Anime News Network), who is more responsible for the series look and feel? The Director, Chief Animation Director, Producer, Animation producer, the Character Designer or some other position? Who should I be trying to trace to find other series of the same quality?
Everyone listed on that ANN page contributed in the making of Strawberry Marshmallow. Some parts will be important, but I would say there are all dependent of one another. If you really want to really narrowed it down, it may be the director, the production, the script/storyboard,...
Old 03-16-08, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Easily! That was first thing in my mind when I watched it.
Old 03-16-08, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
scott1598:
Do yourself a favor and watch Cowboy Bebop.
Old 03-16-08, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Maxflier
scott1598:
Do yourself a favor and watch Cowboy Bebop.
It's good choice... But I think Fullmetal Alchemist has more emotional moment than Cowboy Bebop.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.