Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Wealthy to purchase widescreen tv?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Wealthy to purchase widescreen tv?

Old 04-14-01, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
While reading the thread on the viability of purchasing Non-amarmorphic DVDs I came across a statement by Mr. Salty that I would like to refute. He stated "If you are wealthy enough to own actually own a widescreen set at this point, then yes, you'll see a dramatic improvement." While the point regarding the quality improvement is true, the need to be wealthy to purchase the TV is not. Rather than just post deep in that thread, I thought there was an important lesson here that would benefit a wider audience than that reading the thread.

I'm nowhere near wealthy, yet I have a widescreen tv, thanks to sacrifice, budgeting and targeting my priorities. I think these are important lessons that are not being taught in our schools today. If they were emphasized we'd have less credit card debt. While we're at it, if the schools taught abstinence instead of condom usage, everyone would be better off. Not that I necessarily followed this during my teen years, but now I'm (slightly) wiser.

But I digress. Back to economic discretion in the pursuit of home theater.

My daughter needed braces, but we also wanted a widescreen TV. So I took the family to the stereo showroom and we viewed Bug's Life on a Mitsubishi HD rear projection bundle of joy. When my daughter saw how great it looked compared to our old Toshiba 27" TV, she agreed that we needed it more than she needed braces.

It's definitely worth it to see her face light up when we watch Toy Story, Bug's Life, Lolita and all of the Disney Classics. Seeing her crooked smile makes it all worthwhile and I think that the magic of movies has brought our family that much closer.

Here's another example. After we got the widescreen TV I had a strong urge to buy a progressive scan DVD player and a digital satellite.

But I had to honor the fact that I'd already started saving for our tenth anniversary present. My wife knows how much I'm sacrificing for this present and has been treating me extra nice, both in the kitchen and in the bedroom. So that's been added impetus for my savings practice.

And boy won't she be surprised and thrilled when she finds out she's getting breast implants!

Actually I am wealthy. But it doesn't involve money, but the happiness of my family.
Old 04-14-01, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's nothing, I sold my daughter into white slavery so I could get my widescreen TV

[Edited by WhattheFFF on 04-14-01 at 05:19 PM]
Old 04-14-01, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

You got a widescreen tv instead of fixing your daughter's soon-to-be-crooked teeth?
Old 04-14-01, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Please, for the love of God, don't have any more children!
Old 04-14-01, 07:18 PM

I think that straightening your daughter's teeth is a MUCH higher priority than buying a widescreen TV. I want a widescreen TV too, but I also want to go to college for the next few years. Guess what I'm going to pay for first.
Old 04-14-01, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, I admit that Buford's post seems a little... weird... maybe sarcastic? But I do agree with the idea, if it was meant seriously, that a widescreen TV isn't just something for the "wealthy".

My husband and I just got a widescreen TV, and have gotten various kinds of "Wow!!" comments. But these same people, who are so amazed that we'd spring for such an expensive TV, drive cars that cost $25,000 or more. What's $3000 compared to that?!?! I'm much happier driving our inexpensive 6-year-old Ford Aspire (bought and paid for with cash, no loan) and watching movies on a big screen!
Old 04-14-01, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,149 Likes on 1,213 Posts
You don't need to be wealthy, you just need to be in the first few years of home ownership.

Deductible mortgage interest = Big ass income tax refund = widescreen TV

Old 04-14-01, 08:01 PM

Guys...this man is obviously being sarcastic. I don't think he's a troll, but just trying to prove a point maybe.

-JeTmAn
Old 04-14-01, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts
Moving thread to nonsense forum as it has nothing to do with DVD!
Old 04-14-01, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I don't think it's so much as being wealthy to afford a widescreen TV as it is having disposable income, which are two very different things. I would love a widescreen television but I have two kids to support, so I while I am not wealthy, I could afford a widescreen TV if it wasn't for my commitment to providing more important things to my family, which basically means at this point in my life at age 25, I have very little disposable income.

On a side note, I hope Buford is being sarcastic or joking too, but I have a feeling many people would make the same choice he did. I find it apalling that anybody would think a widescreen TV is more important than the health and well-being of their children. I get the feeling this jerk, even if he is joking, would rather buy something like a widescreen television, breast implants for his wife or something else that will please him rather than providing for his dependents.

I love his comment about teaching abstinance to kids instead of condom use. That argument always makes me laugh. Yeah, like preaching abstinance is going to stop most kids from having sex. Heaven forbid teens know about condoms, they might actually use them and prevent a few more pregnancies and STD cases.
Old 04-14-01, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree, you don't have to be very wealthy to have a widescreen tv, we got a Mitsubishi '55 hd widescreen tv for like 1800 on sale, really good deal there, for an awesome tv.
Old 04-14-01, 11:49 PM

I wasn't going to post in this thread but it put some thoughts into my head. It's scary to think that there are people out there that place more value in their possessions than into their family. Companies have done a good job, of creating a need inside you, making you beleive you need these things. Don't you realize that things don't last forever? Don't be greedy, because when you die, you're not taking any of it with you. Instead of convincing yourself that you made a good investment, because your family is so happy with it. Take em' out to the park or something,you'll see that's what makes your family happy. And you'll realize that the money you spent on a widescreen tv, can go to something better.
Old 04-14-01, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

**SNIFF** I need a tissue
Old 04-14-01, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

demonio

My tiny DVD List

heh heh..
Old 04-15-01, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would like to get a widescreen tv (and soon will) just as any other dvd owner/fan. But c'mon, if your duaghter has crooked teeth or your son needs to go to collage you have to put most important priority first. I mean, hell, widescreen tv is something to drull over, but then again, you must drop the materialistic things for more important things in life.

But I suppose that's alot from me considering I sold both of my children to some drug dealers in Cambodia for Keenwood home-theater system and a dvd player.

HEY! It seemed like a good idea at the time!

JOSH, DANIEL -- I REALLY MISS YOU SO MUCH, YOUR MOTHER PROBABLY MISSES YOU TOO -- WHEREVER I SOLD HER TO FOR SPARTACUS: CC....
Old 04-15-01, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sheesh, the guy was obviously being sarcastic based on his last sentences (I wasn't so sure myself until then), but thank God.
Old 04-15-01, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

He was not being sarcastic and I completely agree with him.
Those who have a widescreen TV have crooked teeth.
Old 04-15-01, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 361 Likes on 213 Posts
I cut down on the numbers of hookers I see every month just so I can get a widescreen tv. I have gone from 20 to 10 a month.

But seriously a few years back I had to make that same decision and 3 of my 4 kids needed braces. You are talking about $5000 per kid and even with insurance covering 50% I still have to pay $7500 out of my pocket. Well for me I went with the braces for the three kids. Even though at the time they were not happy about wearing them. Now they are sure happy that I had them done at the time.

Kahuna

[Edited by kahuna on 04-15-01 at 01:53 AM]
Old 04-15-01, 03:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

But aren't you supposed to put your kids ahead on the list?

I would do the same, leaving myself last.

Besides, the later the set, the better the technology.

[Edited by sonic on 04-15-01 at 01:22 AM]
Old 04-15-01, 03:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
If you don't want your kids to have crooked teeth requiring braces, then 1. don't have sex with your sister or any other blood relative and 2. if your kids suck their thumbs or put stuff in their mouth besides food, whack em upside the head and say "NO!" like you're yelling at a dog.

I don't really know what the point of this thread is besides comic relief... the supposed quote that prompted this thread ("If you are wealthy enough to own actually own a widescreen set at this point, then yes, you'll see a dramatic improvement.") doesn't even imply anything that would warrant such a reply - he said "If you're wealthy enough to own..." some people can't afford a place to live or food to eat much less any TV of any size.

I would argue that everyone on this forum would be considered wealthy by most americans - we are all privelidged enough to own a computer and have enough spare money to purchase DVDs and have a TV and DVD player to watch them on. Unless there's the occasional homeless drifter who likes to check out these forums from an internet cafe before being booted for being too stinky. I imagine everyone is going to chime up about how they have it so rough and are sooo poor, but living beyond your means doesn't make you poor... Heck - I owe more money than I'm worth in assets, but I certainly wouldn't consider myself poor - especially when I think about where I came from and where all my friends came from. It's all relative I guess. I just know so many people who have nothing that it kinda makes me ill when people who have enough money to squander it on such things as computers and DVDs and whatnot bitch about being poor.

Anyway - that's the end of my mini-soapbox rant - flame on... here's my pre-recorded response:
Old 04-15-01, 02:42 PM
Banned

I whored out my grandmother to buy my widescreen set.
Old 04-15-01, 03:31 PM

Personally, I'd choose my daughter's health and well being over anything.

In this case, I would certainly choose a Toshiba TheaterWide HDTV over paying for any orthodontics for Buford's daughter.
Old 04-15-01, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Buford T Pusser

I'm nowhere near wealthy, yet I have a widescreen tv, thanks to sacrifice, budgeting and targeting my priorities. ...
this was one of the funniest things i've read on these boards so far. maybe not brillant comedy but technically, i would have to say because the set-up was fairly lengthy and straight, i certainly wasn't expecting the punchlines.
timing really is everything.
it always surprises me how few people there are out there who seem to be able to "get" the jokes...or even the fact that your trying to be humourous w/out blatantly using smiley faces and other unsubtle gimmicks. sarcasm and self-depricating humour don't seem to register on the radar.

Old 04-15-01, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Calm down, everybody. I've known Buford T. Pusser for almost 20 years now, and while his daughter's teeth are mildly crooked, they aren't anywhere near bad enough to cause her problems.

Buford certainly would have opted for the braces over the widescreen TV if she were having any pain. As it is, after his daughter graduates college and gets out on her own, she can still get braces when she's able to pay for them herself.

I really don't know how he's able to afford his wife's breat implants since he just bought in-wall B&W loudspeakers, but some things really are worth the financing cost.
Old 04-15-01, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,149 Likes on 1,213 Posts
Originally posted by Tommy Two Times
I whored out my grandmother to buy my widescreen set.
And she was worth every penny. There most certainly something to be said from experience.

[[insert golf ball/garden hose verbalism here]]

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.