Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Weekly Thursday Call of Duty Night (PS3)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 01-09-10, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These games are primarily for fun and are not going to be strictly competitive. Don't worry about your stats. We're not here to own newbies and the league isn't here for you to boost your ego. Play around, be friendly, and just have a good laugh.

Call of Duty: Black Ops:
Date: Every Thursday
Start Time: 9:30 PM Eastern/ 8:30 PM Central
To Join: Add Sauce07 and CruzChaos to your buddy list. Sign in Thursday nights around the start time and check your in game buddy list, join our party. Note that we do play with the DLC packs, so if you do not have them let us know ahead of time so we can plan a non-DLC night.

---------------------------------------
Okay, I'm sure some of the regulars in the Weekly Warhawk thread are getting tired of a certain few members discussing their Modern Warfare 2 antics. I figured I would make this thread to plan nights that we could hop on and battle.

It was nice catching most of you online earlier (Nic, R2 and Digi). Nic, I noticed someone else with your clan name. I wasn't sure if it was a kid or not so I went easy on them until I realized they were whooping me pretty bad. Both of you are pretty sick snipers.

Whenever I would hear a launcher followed by a loud bang or a sick thud, I knew R2 had shot another grenade at somebody and it put a smile to my face. In that first battle with Nic and R2 there was this guy named Gamer, I knifed him four times in the first minute and every time after that he would mumble "son of a bitch" or "God dammit" and I burst out laughing. I was disappointed that we had to play the sub base map twice, but never got to throw down in the terminal or favela maps. Digi -- I think it was you, but I can't be certain. The Scrambler perk is really self-defeating, because whenever I noticed my screen going fuzzy I would slow down and look for you because I knew you were very close.

I wasn't sure if you guys would have preferred I created a private room or stayed in the public lobby with those other guys. It's probably best that we decide on a customary arrangement as to whether or not we want to create a private, invite-only room in the future or stay on the public servers. It's okay on the public servers, but I would rather play privately because it seems more relaxed and I can leave the shotguns on the counter and play with something a little more strategic and fun.

So, what days are you guys on mostly? Are there any days you'd like to schedule for a quick game or two? Discuss.

Last edited by JohnSlider; 01-11-11 at 12:14 PM.
Old 01-09-10, 01:21 PM

Re: CoD:MW2 Online League (PlayStation 3)

Yeah, I was using the scrambler perk as I just picked it up last night and was thinking it would be worth something...I guess not, thanks for the tip. Still trying to figure out what I even like to do in the game.

I would prefer playin on a private server as long as we have enough people, although unfortunately you dont get any bonuses in that setup so I would always be stuck with the perks and weapons that I have now, but I do like playing with just friendlies.

Lately I have been on pretty frequently, although that will likely change soon, but either way I am flexible on the day but I am most flexible if the time is around 11pm CST as then the wife and kids are in bed.
Old 01-10-10, 01:58 AM

RRRRAAAAAARRRRR

That was insane. I was getting frustrated in that tanker mission. I don't know how it was possible that I was only getting 2 or 3 kills while you were ranking in the low 20s. It seemed like I was doing good, and then it was like 'Kills: 2 / Partner Kills: 18' haha. That Snatch and Grab mission is a lot harder on veteran, last time we had what, 2 Juggernauts? This time it was 5 or 6. Crazy. We'll get it though.
Old 01-10-10, 10:35 AM

I am impressed we finally got through body count, the airport and the gulag one. I was under the impression that just going up to veteran would just increase the number of baddies, but on the snatch and grab level they not only increased the number of juggernauts which was crazy but it seemed anytime I stuck my head out at all I had at least 2 machine gun snipers hitting me. That one will definitely by a hard fought win if we ever get it

The one with the tank or whatever it was just go too frustrating and boring. I think we will be better off on some of these once we have communication so I think that is something going for us. Hard for me to believe we have gotten as far as we have without mics on veteran as you really need to get to the right spots otherwise you are going to be toast.
Old 01-10-10, 11:26 AM

If we try the war tanker one again, we should go to that upstairs area as soon as the download starts. There's no open spots for them to come in behind so like you said in the other game, we'd be letting them come to us. I ordered a mic from Amazon just now, so it should be here very soon. I really want to give those covert ones another go when it gets here as they've been my favorite thus far because we're in control. I think the easiest thing to do on most of the missions is to run ahead, trigger the next wave of enemies, and then go backward to a safe, enclosed area to take them out as they stick their heads around the corner. It might take longer, but I think it's the safest route on the non-time missions.
Old 01-13-10, 10:30 AM

Last night was awesome. I really wanted to stick on and play some Co-Op, but I was so tired. I've been getting up early lately to do some stuff, but tomorrow I'll be able to sleep in and hopefully we can do some spec-ops if you're up for it, Digi.

I just want to say, Digi was killing you guys more than I was, but I never heard 'Fuckin' Digi' or 'Dammit, Digi' or 'Son of a bitch' whenever he killed one of you. Whenever I did it, though, completely different story.

I have a lot more fun with you guys in a private match, because usually on the public servers I worry to much about my kill:death ratio and don't have as much fun. Last night I got to experiment with the RPG, grenade launcher, and had a lot of fun with the throwing knife and semtax. Hope to see you guys on again soon, this was a blast.

Also, what maps do you all prefer? Last night I was just picking random ones and it didn't occur to me to wait a moment and see if anyone spoke up about the selection I had made.
Old 01-13-10, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm on there all the time as well. I'm not bad (level 40 something, 1.10 KDR).

My PSN name is Kleeberg.
Old 01-13-10, 10:45 AM

I'll send you a PSN invite next time I'm on. We've been playing group TDM matches on Tuesdays at around 11 PM EST. It's not a guaranteed thing, just after Warhawk if we're not all too tired. Hope to see you on there.
Old 01-13-10, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I posted this in our Warhawk thread, but I think it got lost in the shuffle.

Originally Posted by Chew
I was reading more about the 3rd Person aspect yesterday. It looks like 3rd person is only available on either select maps or select modes? The kicker is that everyone has to play 3rd Person if it's enabled.

If you were to start a MW2 night, I would be interested in joining if we can do an hour or two in 3rd Person. Maybe somebody with the game can research it more?

I get motion sickness pretty bad in 1st Person.
Can we discuss another night of the week so more time can be devoted instead of post-Warhawk?
Old 01-13-10, 10:58 AM

I haven't played much 3rd person, but from what I remember it wasn't too bad. The characters did look a little awkward, but nothing crucial. You should rent Call of Duty MW2 and try first person. I was just like you when I bought it, I had tried Halo, I had tried Killzone, I had tried Soldier of Fortune, the old Call of Duty games, and so many other old and new games in first person mode and I couldn't play for even half an hour without feeling the need to throw up, but MW2 is different. I haven't felt sick yet, and I've played it a lot. The biggest problem you will face, if you honestly can't stand this game in first person, is the fact that you have to play quite a bit of it in first person before you can unlock third person. I think I played 8 or 10 hours (could be mistaken) before I had unlocked third person game types.

I'm up for another night, and I have the luxury of being able to rotate my schedule if we want to open a certain night. The only problem is finding a night and time that everybody can get on.
Old 01-13-10, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by John Slider
Last night was awesome. I really wanted to stick on and play some Co-Op, but I was so tired. I've been getting up early lately to do some stuff, but tomorrow I'll be able to sleep in and hopefully we can do some spec-ops if you're up for it, Digi.

I just want to say, Digi was killing you guys more than I was, but I never heard 'Fuckin' Digi' or 'Dammit, Digi' or 'Son of a bitch' whenever he killed one of you. Whenever I did it, though, completely different story.

I have a lot more fun with you guys in a private match, because usually on the public servers I worry to much about my kill:death ratio and don't have as much fun. Last night I got to experiment with the RPG, grenade launcher, and had a lot of fun with the throwing knife and semtax. Hope to see you guys on again soon, this was a blast.

Also, what maps do you all prefer? Last night I was just picking random ones and it didn't occur to me to wait a moment and see if anyone spoke up about the selection I had made.

There were plenty of offensive and derogatory comments flown my way as well, although your fly by knifings did receive extra vitrol. Good time last night though, I do enjoy those private matches more then the public, just wish I had better perks and killstreaks...still trying to get up there on the public servers.

Is the nichols guy the friend from work or is that someone on here? He was entertaining to kill and then he would come back at you with a vengence. Good times.

Yeah, I was hoping for some coop last night, but that is cool. It is hard to expect 2-3 hours of warhawk, 1-2 hours of DM and then another hour of coop My schedule is going to start tightening up soon so we will likely need to actually schedule times to do coop instead of just randomly syncing up as I will likely only be able to play 2 times a week now, but I definitely want to 3 star all of those.

As far as maps, I hate them all because I dont know any of them, so I am always pissed at whatever map you select. Select better maps Really the only one I tend to hate on public servers is the Estate one, but with only 5 people playing it is more tolerable.
Old 01-13-10, 11:05 AM

I am up for a different night if it means more people for sure. I would love to get a private match of some team based games, but we would need more like 8 people to do some of those effectively...At the very least TDM would be nice over just DM.
Old 01-13-10, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Amazon has this for $45, which is a pretty good price for a newish game.

I'd rather buy new now then waste $7-10 on a rental only to buy it afterwards. I can always get most of that back if I need to sell it.
Old 01-13-10, 11:36 AM

Nic, The jumping knife action you hit me with on Derail was impressive. I think you died from the fall, but I'm sure it was worth it. I think R2 knifed me more than I knifed him. There was one kill that I got on R2 and it was hilarious, but I don't remember exactly what happened right now.

I was tempted to try a TDM last night, but I was worried about the teams because we only had five people, and I wasn't sure if it would let us rearrange manually if things got unbalanced. I'm glad you got some smack thrown your way on the mics, Digi. Yeah, that nichols guy seemed pretty agitated whenever I would knife him. The only problem was, he stayed in the same spot a lot of the time. Especially on Derail, I knew I could go to that stairway and find him, but it was pretty funny and I enjoyed having him in the game.

Sure on that Co-Op, Digi. Let me know what days you're free and I should be able to hop on at night.

Chew, I only recommended renting it because you do have to unlock 3rd person mode, and if you get really sick you might not be able to stomach the amount of time it takes to unlock it. But I think you're right, you shouldn't have much trouble getting most of your money back if you decide to resell.
Old 01-13-10, 11:58 AM

Sure on that Co-Op, Digi. Let me know what days you're free and I should be able to hop on at night.
I should be good for tonight at 11 CST if you are.
Old 01-13-10, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ok, maybe it wasn't the best plan to get myself a copy if the weekly start time is going to be 11!
Old 01-13-10, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I play a few times a week, i'd be down for a regular game if it starts at a reasonable time.

PSN - sauce07
Old 01-13-10, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Having to unlock 3rd person mode =

I do love that we have a Warhawk spinoff though (more or less the same guys). It makes me want to get the game too.
Old 01-13-10, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'll jump in, I'm digging MW2 but I stink at it compared to most people online (I'm only level 7).
Old 01-13-10, 04:10 PM

Good to hear, Cardiff!

What day is good for any of you for a weekly game? The only day that we can't do is Tuesdays, because most of us come from the Weekly Warhawk game which takes place on Tuesday nights. I'm good for Monday, or Wednesday. Those are my two favorites, but like I've said my schedule is pretty flexible. 8:00 EST/ 7:00 Central seems like a good start time in my opinion, but we could maybe bump it an hour later or so if people want. Let me know what works for you guys.
Old 01-13-10, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Now that football season is done, Monday is fine with me (Wednesday isn't bad either!). I like the 8/7 start time.
Old 01-13-10, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant
I'll jump in, I'm digging MW2 but I stink at it compared to most people online (I'm only level 7).
Luckily thats the point of our group...we all suck. And at least you wont feel like your ears have been raped after playing with us....well, at least not with most of us

I am fine with Mon or Wed although I would prefer a later time then an earlier one.
Old 01-13-10, 05:18 PM

Maybe we could go for 9/8?
Old 01-13-10, 05:23 PM

Maybe we could go for 9/8?
You in for coop tonight?
Old 01-13-10, 05:40 PM

I should be able to. I have to watch Moon and take it back in the morning, but I should be done watching it before 11 CST. Not sure how late I can stay up though, got to be up pretty early. I got a shipping estimate for my mic and it says I should receive it on the 19th!

I think we can master the two air support missions, and the one where we're held up in the gas station pretty quickly tonight. The trick with the air craft one is to move forward, trigger the enemies, and then hide in a building back behind the triggering point. That way we're not running into an ambush. I figured that out the last time we played, if I ran into a field to trigger the next wave, and then ran backwards and hid in a cellar, you were able to clear them out before I actually moved forward. The only problem with that method is beating the clock.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.