Reload this Page >

How do "digital copies" work?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 11-10-09, 07:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A lot of Blu-ray releases are coming out with a "digital copy."

How does this work? Is it only viewable on an iPod?

How would I watch it on a computer without blu-ray capabilities?
Old 11-10-09, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: How do "digital copies" work?

you put it on a table and set a drink on it.
Old 11-10-09, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
Excellent...a very constructive response...thanks.
Old 11-10-09, 07:24 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Put into computer. Enter code. Done.

Some, not all, work on iTunes. Read the back of the case to see if they do.
Old 11-10-09, 07:24 PM
Suspended

Honestly, reading the back of a Blu-ray case will explain exactly what and how Digital Copies work. The include insert also shows it as well.
Old 11-10-09, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Honestly, reading the back of a Blu-ray case will explain exactly what and how Digital Copies work. The include insert also shows it as well.
So -what's the difference b/w a digital copy and playing the normal DVD through something like Media Player?
Old 11-10-09, 07:29 PM

Digital copies are pretty useless and are a ploy by studios to charge more money for releases, but thats just my opinion.
Old 11-10-09, 07:30 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by mulderxcoltrane
So -what's the difference b/w a digital copy and playing the normal DVD through something like Media Player?
Digital Copies are, well, digital. No need to 'rip' your DVD to playback on iPods etc.
Old 11-10-09, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How would I watch it on a computer without blu-ray capabilities?
The disc you get the digital copy from is a DVD.

It's the same as if you ripped the movie from a DVD yourself or downloaded a copy off the internet only you get DRM stuff and it's limited to certain players.

Oh, and after so much time, you can't download it anymore.
Old 11-10-09, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
The disc you get the digital copy from is a DVD.

It's the same as if you ripped the movie from a DVD yourself or downloaded a copy off the internet only you get DRM stuff and it's limited to certain players.

Oh, and after so much time, you can't download it anymore.
Can I download it onto a couple of computers?
Old 11-10-09, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Can I download it onto a couple of computers?
I think once you've downloaded it once, the disc becomes useless. You could copy the file to another computer or device, though.
Old 11-10-09, 10:32 PM
Cool New Member

yea it sucks and just another way to make money off people. Just got the "deluxe" edition of up and the second disks is just the digital copy! Gimmie a break!
Old 11-10-09, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

^and it is one of those cases too where all the features are on disc 1, but yet on the regular 1 disc DVD, the short is the only extra feature, so its like two rip offs in one
Old 11-11-09, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A lot of Blu-ray releases are coming out with a "digital copy."
It isn't limited to Blu-ray releases. A lot of DVDs are coming with digital copies as well.

As others have said, they are a way to allow people to watch a movie on portable devices (including laptops) without having to circumvent DVD copy protection and learn how to use ripping programs. Although many of us here know how to do that, the average consumer does not.

I'm not a fan of digital copies, but I do see how they could be of use to people who want to watch movies on portable players without a lot of fuss.

Some digital copies are compatible with iPods, some with Windows Media Player, and some give you a choice between the two.

There is more info on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_copy
Old 11-11-09, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
^and it is one of those cases too where all the features are on disc 1, but yet on the regular 1 disc DVD, the short is the only extra feature, so its like two rip offs in one
Actually this came up in another thread. In fact, the single disc version has NO special features on disc 1. So you aren't just getting "a digital copy" you're getting a special disc 1 that actually HAS special features... Or so I heard. I bought the 4 disc blu-ray.
Old 11-11-09, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
Best response ever.
Old 11-11-09, 03:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

I can understand why fans are annoyed that bonus features are included on Disc 1 of a 2-disc set, yet absent from a bare-bones release. It's an outright admission from the studios that they thought you just wanted the movie for $15 instead of the movie and bonus features for $22. Still, I think it's misplaced to lay this hatred at the feet of digital copies. It's not as if there was some kind of law passed that dictated that bonus features could only be included on digital copy discs; that's just an obnoxious trend. And if you really want to be angry about what set all this in motion, how about barking at the MPAA, which managed to do something the RIAA couldn't: make it illegal (and technologically obnoxious) to rip discs.

I still haven't watched The Dark Knight on my iPod, but I have to say I appreciate that the digital copy was included with my 2-disc DVD. What I don't appreciate is how sparse the bonus material was, even on a 2-disc special edition. So Christopher Nolan doesn't do commentary tracks; should that be sufficient reason to offer so little bonus material for the biggest movie/pop-cultural event of 2008? Especially when contrasted with the astoundingly comprehensive supplements for Batman Begins, it just seems that Warner Bros. weren't even trying. And while I realize that the DC occupied a lot of the second disc, I have a hard time believing that the decision process came down to "Well, that's all we can get on there unless we remove the digital copy; let's ship 'em!" More likely, it seems to have been, "Let's hold off on this stuff for a later release; can we put something else on there? A digital copy? Yeah, that'll work."
Old 11-11-09, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Maybe I'm just dense, but how are the studios not losing money with these things? Whats keeping people from hanging onto their dvd movie, and giving their digital copy to a friend whos too cheap to buy it themselves?

Just got saddled with another of the damn things when I got UP this afternoon. Would like to wring the turkey neck of whoever thought these things up.
Old 11-11-09, 08:09 AM
JLB
DVD Talk Special Edition

MEh.........I just ordered Star Trek and HBP from Walmart for 9.98 each with free shipping. I used to really care about the extras, but not so much anymore. Just give me the movie as cheaply as possible.
Old 11-11-09, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Panda Phil
Maybe I'm just dense, but how are the studios not losing money with these things? Whats keeping people from hanging onto their dvd movie, and giving their digital copy to a friend whos too cheap to buy it themselves?
Unlike CD's, though, ripping from DVD's is 1) illegal and 2) not supported by any of the standard media players (Windows Media Player, iTunes, etc.). So, if you want to get a movie onto your computer or your iPod, you have to download it. That download is tied to very restrictive digital rights software, ensuring that you can't transfer it. Even if you gave your digital copy disc to a friend, that friend could only retrieve the digital download once and could never transfer it to someone else. To be honest, the potential for the DVD itself to be serially traded or re-sold represents a greater threat to their future profits than does the digital copy.

Also, to discourage you from handing out digital copy discs, studios have sometimes placed bonus material on the DC disc. So, even if you don't care to have the digital copy of The Dark Knight, there's no reason for you to buy the 2-disc Special Edition of it only to give away the disc that contains material not found on the barebones edition.

Just got saddled with another of the damn things when I got UP this afternoon. Would like to wring the turkey neck of whoever thought these things up.
What it really seems to be that bothers most people is the fact that what they're really being offered are two single-disc editions, and compelled to own a second disc whose contents relate to a format they don't care to use. I get the confusion/irritation, but I still don't get what's up with the animosity toward digital copies that I read on this forum. Digital copies are the only way to satisfy a desire to own a film on disc and be able to watch it on your iPod without having to pay for two separate purchases.

The only thing that continues to confuse me, though, is why they don't just give us the code for the download without a physical copy of the file. Why should iTunes need the disc? They already "stock" the movie. Every other download promotion has specific codes assigned to specific content; why can't we just have the code with the DVD or Blu Ray Disc?
Old 11-11-09, 10:55 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
I still haven't watched The Dark Knight on my iPod, but I have to say I appreciate that the digital copy was included with my 2-disc DVD.
And you won't since TDK has a WMV copy only.
Old 11-11-09, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
What it really seems to be that bothers most people is the fact that what they're really being offered are two single-disc editions, and compelled to own a second disc whose contents relate to a format they don't care to use. I get the confusion/irritation, but I still don't get what's up with the animosity toward digital copies that I read on this forum. Digital copies are the only way to satisfy a desire to own a film on disc and be able to watch it on your iPod without having to pay for two separate purchases.
My personal gripe is this: Maybe I'd like the SE of a movie because it has some extra, commentary or whatever, and I have to get the 2-disc version with a digital copy. In essence, I'm paying for something I will never use. I understand there are people who have iPods, but I don't.

The other thing I can't understand is this: I just spent $20+ for a DVD, why do I wanna watch the movie on some dinky ass iPod screen?
Old 11-11-09, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by UAIOE
Best response ever.
Originally Posted by UAIOE
The other thing I can't understand is this: I just spent $20+ for a DVD, why do I wanna watch the movie on some dinky ass iPod screen?
Agreed on both counts.

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
This is what I really dont understand. Wouldnt it be cheaper to press only one copy of disc 1 than two seperate titles in essence? If you dont use the digital copy, what you are paying for is a special features laden disc 1 and a coaster. Pretty pointless, in my opinion.

To top it off, it seems there is a widespread lack of teh digital copy codes in teh GI Joe steelbook from FYE. So not only do we have to deal with a stupid "Digital copy edition" banner on the case, but we dont get the code. They are screwing us in both ends on that title.

Last edited by jjcool; 11-11-09 at 02:08 PM.
Old 11-11-09, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by izatright
Actually this came up in another thread. In fact, the single disc version has NO special features on disc 1. So you aren't just getting "a digital copy" you're getting a special disc 1 that actually HAS special features... Or so I heard. I bought the 4 disc blu-ray.
i was at best buy yesterday, and the only feature on the 1 disc version was a bonus short (actually 2 i think, one that was created just for this release, and the short that played before the movie in theaters. The "deluxe" DVD version has a commentary, a couple of kids games, and i think like an hour and a half worth of making ofs.
Old 11-11-09, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
And you won't since TDK has a WMV copy only.
Wrong. I downloaded the movie in iTunes within fifteen minutes of getting home from buying the DVD when it went on sale, and it's been on my iPod ever since. I just haven't actually watched it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.