Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

More Than a Game - Lebron James/St. Vincent-St. Mary's documentary

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 10-17-09, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone else seen this? Did a search and couldn't find it.

I just got back from watching this tonight, the first night of its release here in DC. It's been out in select theaters since early October, and has been doing pretty decently according to box office mojo.

I went to watch it because from all the reviews I've read, it's considered one of the best sports documentaries ever. And you know what? In my opinion, the reviews are right.

THe documentary isn't "the Lebron James film" - not even. In fact, Lebron and each of his 4 friends in the "fab 5", plus the coach, were given equal screen time. In fact, the coach probably got the most time. Of course, the Lebron James high school phenomenon had to be addressed, and it was, but it wasn't the focus of the film. Ultimately, it was about brotherhood and family, with basketball as the vehicle.

Anyway, even if you aren't interested in basketball - or any sports, for that matter - I encourage you to go give this film a look. You won't be disappointed.
Old 10-17-09, 11:50 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 898 Likes on 759 Posts
Re: More Than a Game - Lebron James/St. Vincent-St. Mary's documentary

how does it compare to Hoop Dreams? i also loved The Heart of the Game, but this doesn't make me want to see it too quickly. maybe bc i don't really care about LeBron and some reviews have this as just ordinary and by the book docu.
Old 10-18-09, 04:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: More Than a Game - Lebron James/St. Vincent-St. Mary's documentary

It's kind of a difficult comparison because Hoop Dreams is a very very heavy documentary. You've seen it - you know what I mean. And, that's throughout the film.

More Than a Game is, although serious, more lighthearted. It takes a different tone. It definitely doesn't take the "poor ghetto black kids" tone of approach. Rather, the focus was on brotherhood/friendship, the pressures of having to succeed, and growth as a result of their trials.

Yahoo sports has a great breakdown of various extremely positive reviews for the film:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/bal...urn=nba,106218