TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Laugh-In's Henry Gibson, Dead at 73

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-09, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Laugh-In's Henry Gibson, Dead at 73

Link

Henry Gibson, a wry comic character actor whose career included "Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In," "Nashville" and "Boston Legal," died Monday at his home in Malibu after a brief battle with cancer. He was 73.

Gibson's breakthrough came in 1968 when he was cast as a member of the original ensemble of NBC's top-rated "Laugh-In," on which he performed for three seasons. Each week, a giant flower in his hand, he recited a signature poem, introducing them with the catch phrase that became his signature: "A Poem, by Henry Gibson."

The poems proved so popular that they led to the release of two comedy albums, "The Alligator" and "The Grass Menagerie," as well as a book, "A Flower Child's Garden of Verses."

After "Laugh-In," he played the evil Dr. Verringer in "The Long Goodbye" (1973), the first of four films in which he appeared for director Robert Altman. Their second collaboration came in "Nashville" (1975), in which Gibson earned a Golden Globe nomination and a National Society of Film Critics supporting-actor award for his performance as unctuous country singer Haven Hamilton. He also wrote his character's songs.

In television, Gibson's recent work included a five-season stint as cantankerous Judge Clarence Brown on ABC's "Boston Legal" and providing the voice for sardonic, eye-patched newspaperman Bob Jenkins on Fox's animated series "King of the Hill."
He was an under-appreciated actor in my book.
Old 09-16-09, 05:11 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
Re: Laugh-In's Henry Gibson, Dead at 73

He was great in the 'burbs.

RIP
Old 09-16-09, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Even Illinois Nazis loved Henry Gibson.
Old 09-17-09, 09:42 AM
Cool New Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had no idea he was also the voice of Wilbur in Charlotte's Web. That totally blew me away when I read his acting credits. His voice brought so much emotion in that movie.