Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Anime Talk
Reload this Page >

Latest Pokemon movie a hit in Japan

Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

Old 09-10-09, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

According to the International Box Office chart in this week's Variety, the 12th Pokemon movie has been on the charts for 7 weeks and has earned $47,765,131 as of Aug. 30. That's pretty damned good. The Japanese are calling it Arceus: To the Conquering of Space-Time, while Wikipedia asserts that the English release title (sometime next year?) will be Arceus and the Jewel of Life.

As usual, I'm looking forward to it.
Old 09-11-09, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Latest Pokemon movie a hit in Japan

I'm sure it'll prove to be a lot better than PONYO (as most of the Pokemon movies are). Unfortunately, I won't be able to include it on this year's ten-best list because it won't come out in English until some time next year.

Not that anybody here cares. I bet I'm the only one on this board who even bothers to see it. Your loss.
Old 09-11-09, 11:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I'm sure it'll prove to be a lot better than PONYO (as most of the Pokemon movies are). Unfortunately, I won't be able to include it on this year's ten-best list because it won't come out in English until some time next year.

Not that anybody here cares. I bet I'm the only one on this board who even bothers to see it. Your loss.
Your right on that one. Nobody really cares about Pokemon. So much so that you had to bump your own thread.

And I think its my gain not seeing anything Pokemon. Pokemon got pathetic after the Orange Island Arc, and that was when I was 7.

As for Pokemon movies being better than a Miyazaki film, are you serious? That may be your opinion, but don't tout it as fact. Heck, some might be wondering what your smoking to come out and say that.

This is just my opinion on this. Good for Pokemon to be doing well in Japan. It's just continuing to milk the cash cow, and for the producers more power to them. I however do not intend to give them a penny for their efforts.
Old 09-13-09, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Tenkyoken
Your right on that one. Nobody really cares about Pokemon. So much so that you had to bump your own thread.

And I think its my gain not seeing anything Pokemon. Pokemon got pathetic after the Orange Island Arc, and that was when I was 7.

As for Pokemon movies being better than a Miyazaki film, are you serious? That may be your opinion, but don't tout it as fact. Heck, some might be wondering what your smoking to come out and say that.

This is just my opinion on this. Good for Pokemon to be doing well in Japan. It's just continuing to milk the cash cow, and for the producers more power to them. I however do not intend to give them a penny for their efforts.
Your loss.

The Pokemon movies are wonderful animated features for children that have enough clever twists and adventures, as well as character touches and emotional subtexts, to keep grown-up anime fans, like me, engaged throughout. Which is more than I can say for PONYO.

I highly recommend Pokemon movies 1, 4, 6, 7, 8, and 9.
Old 09-16-09, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I still don't get how none of the American DVDs don't come with original language options. It's 2009! I'm not a Pokemon fan, but it does seem strange that after all these years, they are still putting only the dubbed track on the releases only.
Old 09-17-09, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The 4th Pokemon movie was terrible. As are some of the others... but especially the fourth one IMHO. I will always have a fondness for Pokemon though because of my childhood. The earliest episodes are still pretty good as well with some decent replay value. I'm glad they got put out in semi-decent DVD sets.

Back to the movies, I still haven't seen Lucario and the Mystery of Mew - though I do own it - and intend to watch it sometime. I know that one is supposed to be one of the best of them all.

And to your claim that this upcoming Pokemon movie will be better than Ponyo - WHAT?! That's honestly all I can think of saying right now to respond to that. Ponyo was a genuine work of art of the highest caliber and one of my favorites of the entire year. Nothing about Pokemon captures the brilliance of Miyazaki or even comes close. To each their own, I guess...
Old 09-23-09, 01:15 PM
Banned

I love Pokemon! The show and the movies! As of now I have all the movies currently out. I'm still working on the series. I have Seasons 1, 2 and a few sets from other season. Anywho... Great show and great films! Pokemon was what got me into anime in the first place. I think its huge susses with children made it "not cool" to like with a lot of anime fans. But the premises of it sucked me in. Being a Pokemon trainer has to be the best life ever. All you do is walk the earth, collect Pokemon, train them and occasionally battle them. And along the way you make friends and have crazy adventures. Not to mention all great the sites you get to see and take part in. As a trailer myself the idea amazes me. Maybe that's why I enjoy Pokemon so much.
Old 09-23-09, 02:33 PM

Yeah, do they go to school? How do they stay warm in the winter? How do they eat everyday? What about money? It was a good show for little kids, but suspending my disbelief became impossible as the scenerios got repetitive.
Old 09-23-09, 03:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tenkyoken
Yeah, do they go to school? How do they stay warm in the winter? How do they eat everyday? What about money? It was a good show for little kids, but suspending my disbelief became impossible as the scenerios got repetitive.
Yes they went to school until they were old enough to become trainers. Common if you are not working what more do you need than elementary school math and English? LOL! Money/Food... When you are a trainer you either get hooked up with food are you live off the land. They got a lot of food for free just because they were trainers. In the world of Pokemon people understand that trainers don't work and they need food. And if you have a friend like Brock he can whip up anything from scratch.
Old 09-23-09, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

I think the more compelling argument is that these kids are basically little Michael Vicks, except they keep their attack animals in even worse housing conditions...
Old 09-25-09, 08:35 AM
Banned

Yea I gotta agree. I always kinda felt bad for the Pokemon. I think that if I was a Pokemon catcher I would just collect and have a lot of pets. Maybe I would show them off in competitions but I could never fight them. Its nice that you can just heal them by sticking them inside their Pokeball and then sticking that into a machine but still... How many time has Pikachu & Charmander almost dies? Kinda messed up.
Old 11-04-09, 07:41 PM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 527 Likes on 464 Posts

Official Website (US) w/Trailer
  • Premiere on Cartoon Network - November 20th
  • DVD release: Spring 2010
Old 11-05-09, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by WTK
Official Website (US) w/Trailer
  • Premiere on Cartoon Network - November 20th
  • DVD release: Spring 2010
Thanks for this info. Now I have to head to my local Japanese video store to see if they've got the Japanese version on disc yet.