Justice League: The Complete Series 11-10-09

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 08-14-09, 06:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releas...e-league3.html
http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Justice...e-Series/12495

damn, i would easily cop this set if it were to receive a blu release.

Last edited by deto; 08-14-09 at 07:31 PM.
Old 08-14-09, 06:55 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Justice League: The Complete Series 11-10-09

Season 1 was released on Blu-ray.
Old 08-14-09, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by dx23
Season 1 was released on Blu-ray.
Sales must have been horrible. Its been well over a year, and no word of season 2
Old 08-14-09, 07:01 PM
Banned

Weird that the set has one less disc than the 4 sets that have already been released.
Old 08-14-09, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It says this is a 15-Disc Set, but Season One and Season Two of Justice League are both 4-Disc Sets and Seasons One and Two of Justice League: Unlimited are 4-Discs and 2-Discs, respectively. That makes for a total of 14 Discs. I wonder what is on the 15th.

I'll probably pick this up as I don't anticipate the entire series being released on Blu-ray anytime soon. It'll be nice to have Batman: The Complete Animated Series, Superman: The Complete Animated Series, and Justice League: The Complete [Animated] Series all together.
Old 08-14-09, 07:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by stingermck
Sales must have been horrible. Its been well over a year, and no word of season 2
The set is horribly overpriced and full screen. I think the episodes in season 1 were widescreen when the show was first shown on Cartoon Network. I'm still not clear on the whole aspect ratio of the first 2 seasons.
Old 08-14-09, 07:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by kstublen
It says this is a 15-Disc Set, but Season One and Season Two of Justice League are both 4-Disc Sets and Seasons One and Two of Justice League: Unlimited are 4-Discs and 2-Discs, respectively. That makes for a total of 14 Discs. I wonder what is on the 15th.

I'll probably pick this up as I don't anticipate the entire series being released on Blu-ray anytime soon. It'll be nice to have Batman: The Complete Animated Series, Superman: The Complete Animated Series, and Justice League: The Complete [Animated] Series all together.
You are correct. Damn Warner and their bonus discs!
Old 08-14-09, 07:30 PM
Banned

TVshowsonDVD.com is reporting that the complete set is being re-released in full screen. Is this the correct aspect ratio? I have to say that the anamorphic widescreen Justice League Unlimited sets look great on my LCD TV.

http://tvshowsondvd.com/n/12495
Old 08-14-09, 07:52 PM

Please don't let this thread turn into another season 1 widescreen debate... it doesn't really matter in this case if this set is truly completely 4:3 since everything after season 1 is wrong no matter how you slice it. As far as season one went, Cartoon Network aired both versions - it's original airing was 4x3 and the next day it was aired in a matted widescreen format. The producers preferred the look of the widescreen format, so some of you will have the "director's intent!" side of the argument. It was originally aired in 4x3, so some will cry "OAR! OAR!" and shout that art and animation was performed above and below the matte lines. The two sides are never going to agree with the opposing viewpoint. So, let there be peace and just complain that most of this set is indisputably messed up.

I would be shocked if their initial announcement that these are all 4:3 is correct. That would mean new encodes/transfers for everything after season 1. The Batman set was just the exact same discs in new packaging and the Superman set looks to repeat that methodology. Then again, all of those episodes were always 4:3 in the first place, so maybe they decided to make JL more "family friendly" for those with 4:3 sets. I will still be surprised, though.
Old 08-15-09, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,389 Likes on 1,020 Posts

I swear I cannot understand how they keep fucking up this series. It should be *all* widescreen and *all* 16x9 enhanced. Are these idiots taking lessons from George Lucas now?
Old 08-16-09, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kstublen

Now if only there was Batman Beyond: The Complete Series !

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I swear I cannot understand how they keep fucking up this series. It should be *all* widescreen and *all* 16x9 enhanced. Are these idiots taking lessons from George Lucas now?
Not to suggest that the non-anamorphic second season wasn't a big foul-up on WB's part (though better than fullscreen cropping, I must admit), but I think that the first season was filmed in 4:3, though I could be wrong.
Old 08-17-09, 05:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst113
I imagine that will come out sooner or later. I'm waiting on a Static Shock Complete Series too.
Old 08-17-09, 10:43 AM

Hmmm... I already own all four seasons separately.... the main reason I consider upgrading to complete series sets is to achieve a significant reduction in shelf space (some good examples: Buffy, Angel).... but the JL individual seasons are each pretty thin to begin with, so I don't see much difference in shelf space here.... I don't care about bonus material, so I think I'm probably gonna pass on this one
Old 08-17-09, 10:44 AM

Not to suggest that the non-anamorphic second season wasn't a big foul-up on WB's part (though better than fullscreen cropping, I must admit), but I think that the first season was filmed in 4:3, though I could be wrong.
Seasons 1 and 2 were both filmed open-mat, but composed for widescreen. Cartoon Network always used the widescreen version for the initial broadcast of new episodes and would later re-broadcast them, during the week, in fullscreen.
Old 08-17-09, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's the link

http://jl.toonzone.net/widescreen/widescreen.htm

It was meant to be widescreen all the way, but Cartoon Network was afraid the big, evil black bars would scare the little kiddies so they asked for dual versions. The full 4x3 shaped cel was animated, but it was clearly composed for a widescreen presentation. This picture here says it best

Put the black bars on, and what's missing? Feet and sky. What's left? A tighter focus on the people.

Come on folks, think about all the pan and scan live action movies out there that suffer from open matte, whether it's from basic composition issues, or from the fact that many in camera FX are spoiled. Like Pee Wee's bike chain, or the scene from A Fish Called Wanda where the supposedly naked guy has underwear on?

This is the same issue, and the fact that Cartoon Network realized the black bars didn't scare off the kiddies, they allowed all subsequent seasons to be animated at a 1.85 aspect ratio.

Here's one more link, with an especially infuriating tidbit
http://www.worldsfinestonline.com/WF...ews/timm01.php

The show was done in a widescreen format also in anticipation of the upcoming next generation of television sets, which will be widescreen HDTV. Full frame shows will translate poorly into widescreen TVs, which was another reason for the widescreen format on Justice League.
And then they go and release the BluRay version in 4x3. What. The. Hell?
Old 08-18-09, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, since I sold my dvds in anticipation of a blu ray set release...looks like I'll pick this box set up. Blu ray sales of season one must've tanked pretty hard. They may have done better releasing the whole series on blu ray. More people may have brought it since I knew a few people who were waiting for more blu ray seasons before spending the $$$
Old 08-19-09, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by EvlAsh
Seasons 1 and 2 were both filmed open-mat, but composed for widescreen. Cartoon Network always used the widescreen version for the initial broadcast of new episodes and would later re-broadcast them, during the week, in fullscreen.
Season 2 wasn't open-matte. The 4x3 version was extracted from the 16:9 frame.

Also, Cartoon Network aired the full screen version of season one first.
Old 08-19-09, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by milo bloom
And then they go and release the BluRay version in 4x3. What. The. Hell?
I know this isn't ideal, but zooming in on the Blu-Ray essentially crops the top and bottom to get to their intended composition. Given that it's Blu-Ray, the PQ holds up much better to being zoomed...
Old 08-19-09, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BrandonJF
I know this isn't ideal, but zooming in on the Blu-Ray essentially crops the top and bottom to get to their intended composition. Given that it's Blu-Ray, the PQ holds up much better to being zoomed...
You know, I decided long ago that there's so many DVDs out there that I'd love to have that I needed set limits for myself. One of those is proper widescreen and 16x9 presentation. Even though I have two 4x3 TVs and two computers with DVD drives I could watch non 16x9 material on instead of my 16x9 display, I no longer bother with them. I'd love to have the original Star Wars DVDs, but I'll live with SE DVDs and my VHS and LD copies of the originals (the VCR and LaserDisc player are hooked up to the 4x3 TV in the basement).

Simply put, I'm not buying half-ass product.
Old 08-20-09, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by BrandonJF
Season 2 wasn't open-matte. The 4x3 version was extracted from the 16:9 frame.

Also, Cartoon Network aired the full screen version of season one first.
I stand corrected. Thanks.
Old 09-09-09, 06:15 PM

If you go to amazon there is an image of the back of the box. It shows that every episode will be released in its original format. No cropping!
Old 09-09-09, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by astralwanderer
If you go to amazon there is an image of the back of the box. It shows that every episode will be released in its original format. No cropping!
It actually just states what we all guessed already...that these will be the exact same discs as before, with Season 1 in 4x3 fullscreen, Season 2 in non-anamorphic 4x3 widescreen, and the Unlimited seasons in anamorphic 16x9 widescreen....
Too bad Season 1 sold poorly on BD....I was really hoping I'd be able to get Season 2 in 16x9 and toss the non-anamorphic mess that was the DVD release, oh well....
Old 09-09-09, 07:05 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Warner abandoned a few shows on Blu-ray because of poor sales. The animated flicks (which may or may not all be Warner, I really don't pay attention to them) have been doing decent sales so its possible Season 2 will arrive someday.
Old 09-09-09, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You can buy it used cheaper on Blu than on DVD. I paid 8 bucks for a copy on Amazon.
Old 10-06-09, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Oh goody I wanted all the seasons but hadn't gotten around to buying them.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.