DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Big Lots Part 6

Old 07-23-09, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Big Lots Part 6

Keep the discussion going about your finds at Big Lots!

(As always, please refrain from any discussions regarding trading or selling DVDs and instead post them here):
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-exchang...ge-thread.html

Last edited by ProfessorEcho; 07-23-09 at 06:32 PM.
Old 07-23-09, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Big Lots Part 6

What an ending to that last thread.
Old 07-23-09, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has to be a DVDTalk record for filling a thread up.
Old 07-23-09, 04:37 PM

Harrisburg, PA store had Joey, Tracey Takes On S1, and War at Home S1.

Camp Hill, PA had a few West Wing S2 (would have bought S1, but not going to skip), and some late Dukes of Hazzard season.

No Superman TAS, Justice League, nor Looney Toons. Maybe I'll just wait for the Amazon resell prices to sink sink sink.
Old 07-23-09, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

For those who missed it at the end of the last thread, urgent information that we can all benefit from!

ATTENTION ALL RESELLERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is going to sound like a joke, but I have it on good authority (don't even ask, this is totally "off the record!") that the next big thing in DVD resale is going to be this show called JOEY. Apparently, the web is buzzing with rumors that these DVDs are going OOP forever and that demand is going to increase in the next few months, to heights we haven't seen in years on the resale market. !!! This is one of those shows that seemed to fly under the radar when it first aired, but there is what has been described as a STAR TREK numbers cult following for it all over the world and people are becoming desperate to get their hands on the one season that was released on DVD. You read it here first, stock up JOEY asap, if you can even find it anywhere that is! You want to SELL, SELL, SELL? Then get JOEY, JOEY, JOEY!

Last edited by ProfessorEcho; 07-23-09 at 04:45 PM.
Old 07-23-09, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

6 days!?! holy hell that was fast! I'll be checking my nearest store tonight... hoping they put out some new stuff
Old 07-23-09, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho
For those who missed it at the end of the last thread, urgent information that we can all benefit from!

This is going to sound like a joke, but I have it on good authority (don't even ask, this is totally "off the record!") that the next big thing in DVD resale is going to be this show called JOEY. Apparently, the web is buzzing with rumors that these DVDs are going OOP forever and that demand is going to increase in the next few months, to heights we haven't seen in years on the resale market. !!! This is one of those shows that seemed to fly under the radar when it first aired, but there is what has been described as a STAR TREK numbers cult following for it all over the world and people are becoming desperate to get their hands on the one season that was released on DVD. You read it here first, stock up JOEY asap, if you can even find it anywhere that is! You want to SELL, SELL, SELL? Then get JOEY, JOEY, JOEY!

That was hilarious.
Old 07-23-09, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 366 Likes on 231 Posts

Man, the part 4 thread is only on page 2 of the Bargains forum! Granted, it reached over 1,500 posts whereas the last one registered just over 800.
Old 07-23-09, 05:21 PM

Hi All. Lurked for over a year, time to jump in the fray. My wife was off today so I did a major Big Lots run of the Orlando area. Reminded me of the old days hunting for Star Wars Target and Wal Mart Exclusives.

Major restocks at 2 stores:
Casselberry 436 Store - best selection I have seen yet, had all sorts of sets including Animaniacs, Flinstones multiple seasons,
Pinky and the Brain, Johnny Quest (first time seeing this one), Scooby Doo Movies, Scooby Doo Season 3 (these last two were $6), Top Cat, Penelope Pitstop, All 4 Lois and Clarks and all of the reported Tales from the Crypt. I only bought the last Babylon 5 Movies and Tales S1 because:

South 436 store - Also great selection, lots of Top Cat and Wacky Races, many Flinstones, all Tales From the Crypt except season 1, Popeye, Mission Hill, War at Home, Penelope Pitstop, Birdman, Pebbles and Bam Bam, Wait Till Your Father Gets Home (these were $6). Bought one of each Tales From The Crypt, left everything else.

Winter Garden - interesting selection, had Scooby Doo Movies and Season 3. Also had a 3 pack Justice League set that I bought and still had a few of these left. Saw Everwood S1 as well

Pine Hills Store - terrible nothing at all
East 50 Store - terrible, 1 Flinstones set then the old OC and a whole Mess of Dukes Season 5 I believe
Apopka - good selection, most of everything the other 2 good stores had
Eustis - pretty far for Orlandoans but had to drop off the pups at in laws. Got Superman Animated Season 1, had a few left.

Still no signs of $10 sets and the last set I want that continues to elude me is Space Ghost...well besides Looney Tunes of course. Good luck everyone!
Old 07-23-09, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

any updates on NJ stores
Old 07-23-09, 05:35 PM

Stopped by today hoping the truck from yesterday had made it to the floor. No set restock but I did pick up:

Final Destination 2
God The Devil & Bob Complete Series
Bright Lights, Big City
Jacques Cousteau River Explorations

$3 each.
Old 07-23-09, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Johnny Zhivago
another reason I have been and will never be again... Married.
I meant no disrespect to my wife. She is great. I have no problems doing what I want to do. She just doesn't understand and looks at me kinda funny. She thinks I am crazy and I guess she is at least partially right. She doesn't understand why I need so many DVDs, I don't understand why she needs so many shoes...

I didn't make it to Eastland at lunch. I may try tomorrow. I'll probably hit Turfland again to tonight on my way to drop of some Redbox discs before 9:00.
Old 07-23-09, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho

I was really tempted to go and get one of those sets after seeing your post. You never know how valuable it will be in a couple of years and it will help to put my kids trough college.

Anyway. I checked my local big lots and nothing. I also got the ad for this weekend and there they are, in the last page of the ad. I will get up early on Sunday and see if I can grab those elusive Tales from the Crypt sets!! Of course, I will keep checking tomorrow and Saturday, just in case!
Old 07-23-09, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by bcink
She doesn't understand why I need so many DVDs, I don't understand why she needs so many shoes...
Hilarious...it's the EXACT same way with my wife.

Me: "Another pair of Coach shoes?"

Wife: "Yes, and shut up."

Me: "I don't get it."

Wife: "Think of it this way...these, to me, are like a rare DVD with tons of bonus features to you. Now do you get it?"

Well, no, I still think lots of DVDs are better than lots of shoes, but I love her anyway...
Old 07-23-09, 05:53 PM

I've been growing very impatient waiting for Sunday.

I too will be checking again Saturday though.

My dvd to watch list is at its highest right now in years though. lol

I shall be occupied for quite some time.
Old 07-23-09, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nothing new at the Milford, MA store, except for the free-standing cardboard display with Fox/MGM titles.

From what I remember;
Pauly Shore is Dead
Species II
Reel Talent
Dances with Wolves (FS)
Big Lights, Big City (1st pressing)
God, the Devil and Bob
Many other titles, but I really don't remember them

Still a few West Wing S2, The O.C. Season 2, Dukes sets, and a few Nightmare and Dreamscapes, from what I remember.

I did hear the employees talking about unloading a truck earlier today, so it may be possible that newer DVDs are on their way to the floor.
Old 07-23-09, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bcink
I didn't make it to Eastland at lunch. I may try tomorrow. I'll probably hit Turfland again to tonight on my way to drop of some Redbox discs before 9:00.
Nothing to see at either of those locations this morning. Of course, the way my luck has gone that may mean a major restock in the afternoon. Good luck!
Old 07-23-09, 05:58 PM

Picking up Superman - The 1948 & 1950 Theatrical Serials Collection today made me wonder if anyone has seen either Batman - The Complete 1943 Movie Serial Collection or Batman and Robin - The Complete 1949 Movie Serial Collection in their travels.
Old 07-23-09, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MrSmearkase
Nothing new at the Milford, MA store, except for the free-standing cardboard display with Fox/MGM titles.
Grabbed "The Horse Soldiers" (John Wayne/William Holden) from this bunch.
Old 07-23-09, 05:59 PM

In case anyone cares the ad is online. The DVDs are on the last page. Only the $3 sets are listed
Old 07-23-09, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rexxriot
Picking up Superman - The 1948 & 1950 Theatrical Serials Collection today made me wonder if anyone has seen either Batman - The Complete 1943 Movie Serial Collection or Batman and Robin - The Complete 1949 Movie Serial Collection in their travels.
The Batman 1943 Movie Serial Collection came through Big Lots a year or so ago.
Old 07-23-09, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 1943 Serials were at Big Lots about a year ago, part of a Sony wave of titles. It was the first DVD I ever bought at Big Lots, just happened to be in a store and spotted DVDs, expecting to find a lot of crap, but realized very quick that they actually stock real titles.

Last edited by MrSmearkase; 07-23-09 at 06:03 PM.
Old 07-23-09, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The 1943 set was abundant a couple of years ago. Not sure if it's been spotted recently.

Edit: You guys are too fast for me.
Old 07-23-09, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A report from the two Chicagoland area stores I went to this afternoon and it's as follows:

Niles, IL - Absolute junk as all they really had there were DOH Seasons 5 & 6, Looney Tunes Movie Collection for 10 bucks, War at Home S1 and Murphy Brown S1 and some movies here and there but the pickings were so slim there.

Diversey Avenue in Chicago, IL - A boatload of DVDs which range from Josie and the Pussycats, Life Goes On S1, Drew carey S1, Joey S1 (a few left), Wacky Races, tons of movies and Roots Boxed Sets (just a few remaining on those)

There aren't many Big Lots here around the city but many on the south side of town and some in Indiana so if anyone can check what's out there, I'd greatly appreciate it. Still looking for Animaniacs Volumes 1 & 2 and Scooby-Doo/Dynomutt Hour as well, all new.

UPDATE: Went to the Wood Dale, IL store and what a pithole that place was...Only found tons of $3 movies, a Knots Landing S1 DVD set, Dallas Seasons 7 & 9, War at Home S1, Dukes S5 & S6 and that's about it.

Regarding the Diversey location...alos spotted Josie and the Pussycats, Dukes Seasons 4-6, OC S2 and West Wing S2 (where I saw two guys buy all of them up at the Wood Dale, IL location) and a ton of movies. Got Hooper and Cannonball Run 2 there for $3 each. Not too shabby. Any other reports from other stores in Illinois would be appreciated. Take care!

UPDATE 2 on NILES, IL Store - they have a few remaining Looney Tunes MOVIE Collections sets for $10.00 but not the actual cartoon shorts, and tons of War @ Home S1 and Dukes S5 & 6 and tons of $3 movies as well. Just came from there.

Last edited by rmw650; 07-24-09 at 07:18 PM. Reason: New updates from another store.
Old 07-23-09, 06:10 PM

My wife also thinks I'm crazy for going to Big Lots so much over the last month. Before it was once every few weeks, and now it's multiple stores multiple times a week. I tried explaining the thrill of the hunt and the satisfaction of finding something hard to find. She doesn't understand it and always gives me that what did she get herself into marrying me look.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.