Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Is it even worth getting a 36" RCA tube TV fixed?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-09, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 7-year-old 36" RCA tube TV that yesterday decided to crap out. It starts to turn on, but can't seem to build up enough of a charge to run the tube and kicks off. Gotta be a bad cap or a relay I'm guessing.

I have no idea what it might cost to fix, and I sure as hell do not feel like hauling the thing to a repair shop. I paid $650 for it new 7 years ago, and now can get a decent 40-42" LCD for cheaper. Its not my primary TV, so I do not need the best, just something the kid can watch while upstairs.

The wife is laid-off right now, which is why I'm even considering fixing it, plus its not that old.
Old 07-01-09, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Is it even worth getting a 36" RCA tube TV fixed?

I wouldn't. Most repair shops won't warranty fixes for more than 30 days anyway, so if it happens again, you'll be out the repair money as well. Since it's not your primary TV, I'd just save up and buy an LCD when you're ready.

Sorry to hear about the wife. The Michigan job market sucks right now.
Old 07-01-09, 11:11 AM

I also don't think I would have it repaired. Consumer Reports publishes a guideline on repair or replacement and 34-36" tube tvs are not recommended for repair if more than 3 years old. Average cost of repair is listed as $115-385.
Date of the article is May, 2008.
Old 07-05-09, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

My cousin had a similar situation going on with his tv. Turned out to be a fuse was blown. It was something like a 6.3 amp fuse, and he replaced it with a 6. It kept blowing, so he replaced it with a 7 amp fuse, and he hasnt had a problem since.

You could try fixing the tv yourself. I dont think it is worth taking to the repair shop, unless he is a friend. I have found countless schematics and replacement parts online for pretty cheap for tvs and other appliances.
Old 07-05-09, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

No.

/thread.

Old 07-06-09, 07:58 PM

If its going to cost you over $100 then forget it, better off saving up for a LCD..
Old 07-07-09, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You'll spend more with a chiropractic when you break your back.
Old 07-11-09, 03:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
I have a 7-year-old 36" RCA tube TV that yesterday decided to crap out. It starts to turn on, but can't seem to build up enough of a charge to run the tube and kicks off. Gotta be a bad cap or a relay I'm guessing.

I have no idea what it might cost to fix, and I sure as hell do not feel like hauling the thing to a repair shop. I paid $650 for it new 7 years ago, and now can get a decent 40-42" LCD for cheaper. Its not my primary TV, so I do not need the best, just something the kid can watch while upstairs.

The wife is laid-off right now, which is why I'm even considering fixing it, plus its not that old.
I used to run an electronics repair shop and most of what I am about to say will likely be too technical for your average user so bear with me.

It sounds like the high voltage shutdown circuit (x-ray protection) is engaging which means at the very least that it will need some parts replaced including things like the horizontal transistor, etc... These sets are notorious for having problems like this. To an experienced tech this would be a relatively simple fix but would most likely cost far more than it is worth to have the set fixed.

In my opinion, you should ditch it and buy a new flat-panel TV.
Old 07-11-09, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

If you don't want to spend the money for a new LCD right now, another alternative is to check around your area thrift shops. People are ditching these sets like crazy now. I picked up a small TV/VCR combo for the bedroom for $10 a few weeks ago that works perfectly.
Old 07-11-09, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think I'm going for the 40" Samsung that is in the new Costco coupon book. Its a little more than I was looking to pay, but I'd rather spend the little more on a well-known brand.
Old 07-14-09, 04:13 PM

I got 2 Sony Wega's that crapped out on me in the last 6 months.

the first I had for years...then I bought a 30" CRT widescreen HD off craigslist for 150. cheaper than fixing my other one.

But 3 months later, that one went out. From what I can tell, it's the same issue. Horizontal transistor or something...both are flashing their codes, but getting them repaired just isn't worth it at this point.

Not when repairs are 1/2 the cost of a brand new LCD and isn't a guaranteed fix. Plus, these TV's are too heavy to be hauling around to repair shops.

I loved this CRT HD set, tho. It looked much better than my friends plasma.
Old 07-14-09, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 362 Likes on 214 Posts

Brought a 35" Mitsubishi CRT TV back in the early 1990's. About 10 years later notice a problem with the picture at the top of the screen. I let it go and I notice the picture was getting smaller and smaller until one day I turned it on and no picture. Called a place that works on Mitsubishi tv's and he came out and
looked at it. Told me I should of called him sooner when I first notice problem. Any way it cost $35 for the house call. He did some soldering and fixed the problem. Cost me about $200 to fix. I gave the tv to my niece and here about 7 years later the tv is still going strong.
Old 07-14-09, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Not when you can go and get a 37" lcd or plasma for 400 bucks.
Old 07-21-09, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I got the LN40B540 Costco has for $749 right now. My wife thought it was a bit expensive, but once she tried to help me lift the 36" CRT off the entertainment cabinet, and saw me carry in the LCD box all by myself, she realized it was well worth the price.

Had to have my bro-in-law help me carry the CRT out of the house and I took it to the local TV repair shop that said they'd take it for parts or whatever. That place looked like a CRT graveyard.
Old 07-21-09, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 119 Likes on 107 Posts

Last year we sold our trusty 36' Sony XBR. While it was great in it's hey day I don't miss the bulky size not the 200 lbs! But the obvious is past technology. If it can be fixed donate it, write it off and get something newer. Prices are really good right now and you have plenty of goo choices.

Kenny J
Old 07-21-09, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by K&AJones
Last year we sold our trusty 36' Sony XBR. While it was great in it's hey day I don't miss the bulky size not the 200 lbs!
This reminds me of a couple years ago when we sold our 32" Sony Trinitron in the local paper. It was in great shape so the first gentleman that came out bought it on the spot. It was funny though 'cause the guy was huge, I mean like 6'4"-6'5" & all muscle, so he goes to lift the TV and about crapped his nuts. After I helped him carry it out.
Old 07-27-09, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The convergence ICs began to go south on my Mitsu rptv last month. But I did fix it (the ICs are designed to run hot and have an average lifetime of 6-7 years, I found out). Cost me around $70 and a couple of hours. Worth it to me because 65" flatscreens are still too pricey, the rptv has a great picture, and I didn't want to deal with new shelving/furniture/component rearrangement.
Old 07-27-09, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I just moved my 34" SONY tube from Dallas to Austin. Had guys helping. Still a pain in the ass. I was so hot for this thing for the past couple of years but now I am thinking of putting it up on CL.
Old 07-27-09, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,258 Likes on 837 Posts

My sister-in-law had a 36" Proscan that just died. I told her to dump it and buy a 40" LCD.
Old 08-06-09, 02:47 PM

My husband and I bought a 27" RCA tube TV about 3 yrs ago and have had the same issues. We had it repaired 2 yrs ago; which was due to RCA's have bad sodering. Then a couple months ago the TV wouldn't even turn on. We took it into Sears for a repair estimate. They won't repair anything that would cost over $95.00.

They called and said the tube is out & you can't get the parts to fix it anymore. In the meantime we had to pay $30.00 to get this news. So save your time and check out Craigslist, Garage Sales or E-bay for another tube TV. We are with you - we can't afford an LCD/Plasma TV either. I was able to get a 19" at a sale for $20.00 until we can find a larger size.

Good luck!
Old 08-07-09, 04:52 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

We had it repaired 2 yrs ago; which was due to RCA's have bad soldering.
Built by cheap labor- they should give you the option to buy their stuff as a kit for $100 less and put it together yourself- I could probably do it better

My 40-inch Mitsubishi picture tube is still going strong after 13 years, almost hoping it'll die so I can have an excuse to buy a new LCD, since it wouldn't be financially responsible for me to get one right now. Wonder what the lifespan of LCDs will turn out to be?
Old 08-10-09, 01:25 PM

Don't fix it. Not worth it.

I tried selling my bedroom set. Very little useage. Not a stain, scratch or chip in the set.

It was a 32 XBR Wega 4:3, but was a 1080i HDTV
I also had a $800 HD, Boltz stand made for the heavy Wega XBR series
and I had a match Sony Dream system-first gen, when it qactually sounded good for a HT in a box.

Everything for 400 bucks.