Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Activity issue with Logitech Harmony One

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 06-13-09, 05:12 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a issue when using the Harmony One remote. I have a activity called Watch PS3 which is supposed to turn my TV to HDMI 2, the PS3 on and the receiver on. My TV was already on and I pushed the activity on the remote and it turned my TV off but it did turn the PS3 and the receiver on. Can anyone tell me why it turned my TV off when I didn't set it up that way and what I can do to correct this.
Old 06-13-09, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 406 Likes on 351 Posts
Re: Activity issue with Logitech Harmony One

More importantly how did your Harmony turn on your PS3? Do you have a IR to Bluetooth adapter in the chain?

To answer your questions, on initial start up I always start from zero. Meaning everything off. Then once I'm I do the initial start up, I don't have a problem using a different activity.
Old 06-13-09, 07:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
More importantly how did your Harmony turn on your PS3? Do you have a IR to Bluetooth adapter in the chain?

To answer your questions, on initial start up I always start from zero. Meaning everything off. Then once I'm I do the initial start up, I don't have a problem using a different activity.
I have a Harmony adapter for PS3. I normally don't start watching a movie when I turn on the TV. That's why I wanted to know if I have the tv on already and then decide to watch a movie using the ps3 activity I should be able to without the TV turning off.
Old 06-13-09, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 406 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by bootsy
I have a Harmony adapter for PS3. I normally don't start watching a movie when I turn on the TV. That's why I wanted to know if I have the tv on already and then decide to watch a movie using the ps3 activity I should be able to without the TV turning off.
If you used your Harmony activity to "watch TV" then it should work. But if you manually turned on the TV or used the TV remote to turn the tv on first, then that might throw off the activity.

So for example I walk into my media room. Nothing is on.

I press the active "Watch Dish HD" and it,

Turns on projector and after a short delay sets it to HDMI
Turns on Dish box
Turns on receiver and to the appropriate input
Turns HDMI switch box to the appropriate input
Turns lights to TV watching level

If I then press "Watch a DVD" it already knows the pj & receiver is on and,

Doesn't do anything with the pj
Turns off the Dish box
Turns on DVD player
Changes the HDMI switcher
Changes inputs on the receiver

But if you start with something on, how does the remote know that?
Old 06-23-09, 06:21 PM
cko
Cool New Member

yep, the problem is that the tv was already on. the harmony remotes keep track of the state of your devices, but they can only do that if they are starting from a known state (usually all off). since you had the tv already on manually, it would think the tv was off and then send the power signal again to turn it on but would end up turning it off.

a lot of times, if I already have stuff on and watch to switch the remote to a particular activity, I'll cover the IR emitter with my hand while switching to an activity to bypass the power on and input switch stuff.
Old 12-12-09, 09:24 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Question for those with the Harmony One and using your blu ray player - which button do you use for the on-screen menu? There's the menu button, but that brings up the top menu for me. So how do I bring up the onscreen menu? Do I have to program it?
Old 12-13-09, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cko
yep, the problem is that the tv was already on. the harmony remotes keep track of the state of your devices, but they can only do that if they are starting from a known state (usually all off).
In addition to that, my guess would be that your TV does not support discrete codes. That means there is one remote code for your TV. When the remote sends it out, if the TV is off it's turned on; if it's on it turns off. With discrete codes, there are separate codes for on and off.

You might want to do some research on your brand and model of TV over at Remote Central to see if there are discrete codes for it. But I suspect that if there were, the Harmony database would have had them.
Originally Posted by trespoochies
Question for those with the Harmony One and using your blu ray player - which button do you use for the on-screen menu? There's the menu button, but that brings up the top menu for me. So how do I bring up the onscreen menu? Do I have to program it?
I used the factory remote to teach the separate menu keys to my Harmony One.
Old 12-13-09, 10:56 AM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
I used the factory remote to teach the separate menu keys to my Harmony One.
May I ask how you do that? I wasn't aware that was possible.
Old 12-13-09, 11:20 AM

In the customize buttons menu there is an option to learn a command. Plug your remote into the usb and point the original remote approximately an inch or so away from the harmony. The screen should tell you if the command was learned successfully.
Old 12-13-09, 05:27 PM
Banned by request

Awesome, thank you very much for your help. I found it.
Old 01-05-10, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 219 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by trespoochies
I changed the settings with the computer program. I've remapped several commands, actually. My volume buttons weren't working, so I set up volume controls, for the TV and receiver separately, on the top screen.
Old 01-05-10, 09:51 PM

The key is that that Harmony needs to know the current state of the device.

Meaning, to run the PS3 activity the TV does not have to already be off. However, if the TV is already on then it needs to have been turned on by the Harmony so that it realizes that the TV is already on.

So if I run my DirecTV activity, the TV is on. If I then run the PS3 activity on, it changes the input but knows the TV is already on. However, if I turn the TV on with a different remote or via the button on the set, then the remote has no way to know it was already on. It does not have the ability to determine whether or not a device is truly on at the time, it simply remembers the state based on activities run to that point.

Hopefully that makes sense.
Old 01-27-10, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

New question (no point in starting a new thread):

I have a Oppo HDMI switch. It's hit and miss as to whether the switch receives the Harmony's signal to change inputs.

What setting is needed to either repeat the command automatically (as "insurance"), or possibly increase the length of the signal?
Old 01-29-10, 11:42 AM
Suspended

why not use the help feature on the remote. It's designed to fix issues like these.

You may also have to put some delays in there.
Old 01-31-10, 10:38 PM

If your switch has discrete commands for the inputs you could add those buttons to one of the pages within your activity for easy switching. If it just has an input toggle button you could add that as well so you could avoid having to cycle through the help questions. That way if it doesn't switch you could change the input within your activity. You'd have to add that button to all activities though. I had my old remote customized like that and it just became second nature when something wouldn't switch
Old 02-16-10, 08:06 PM
Banned

I've got another slight problem with one of my activities on the Harmony One. This activity is called 'From PS3 to TV' and it switches my TV from HDMI 2 to HDMI 1, and ejects the DVD from the PS3 and turns the PS3 off. This works fine but when I want to turn the TV off it is still on the current activity:'From PS3 to TV' which turns off the TV but then the PS3 turns back on again. Is there any way to set this activity so the PS3 doesn't turn back on when I hit the off button on the remote. Even if I try to go to another activity it will turn the PS3 back on. Any ideas would be helpful.
Old 02-17-10, 07:54 AM
Suspended

I've got another slight problem with one of my activities on the Harmony One. This activity is called 'From PS3 to TV' and it switches my TV from HDMI 2 to HDMI 1, and ejects the DVD from the PS3 and turns the PS3 off. This works fine but when I want to turn the TV off it is still on the current activity:'From PS3 to TV' which turns off the TV but then the PS3 turns back on again. Is there any way to set this activity so the PS3 doesn't turn back on when I hit the off button on the remote. Even if I try to go to another activity it will turn the PS3 back on. Any ideas would be helpful.
Are you sure when you 'turn off the tv' that you are just turning off that device and not using an activity to do that. Activities (usually) control more than one device.
Old 02-17-10, 08:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by gimmepilotwings
Are you sure when you 'turn off the tv' that you are just turning off that device and not using an activity to do that. Activities (usually) control more than one device.
I think I figured out what to do. I will just create another activity so it won't turn on the PS3.
Old 02-18-10, 03:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Arent there discreet codes for On / Off with the One? Why would it turn it off then?
Old 02-18-10, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JZ1276
Arent there discreet codes for On / Off with the One? Why would it turn it off then?
I think that is device specific. Some devices to have discrete codes available and others simply have a power toggle.

The custom settings should allow for getting the granular level of control you need.

I actually created a power-down activity which reverts the TV back to the satellite input and puts the receiver back to the audio for that input and then powers those devices down. Any other devices I was using get powered down automatically by the activity switch (except for the DirecTV HDVR which I've instructed the Harmony One to never power off).