Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Star Trek 1-6 Bluray @ Amazon

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Old 05-18-09, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just read about this at High Def Digest. I emailed them as my discs shipped yesterday. Anyone get a hit back yet? Are they refunding? This is VERY fishy, one day after shipping.

(Lowered the price $10 since yesterday)

Last edited by mw390; 05-18-09 at 12:43 PM.
Old 05-18-09, 12:40 PM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Re: Star Trek 1-6 Bluray @ Amazon

Can you tell us what you're talking about?
Old 05-18-09, 12:42 PM

Sorry,

TEN DOLLARS less than it was 1 day ago 69.99 for the whole set
Old 05-18-09, 12:55 PM

I noticed this yesterday (May 17th) that the price was now $69.99, even though I pre-ordered on the 13th @ $79.99. My status was "shipping soon" although it showed the ship date as the 21st. I called and asked for the lower price, but Amazon said no. They would rather I refuse the delivery of the $79.99 package, and re-order the item at the $69.99 price. So they end up eating shipping of the $79.99 package to me and back to them, rather than use a few keystrokes to lower the price of an item that their own site says will not ship for another 4 days?!?!?

So, I'll refuse the first package that arrives. They'll spend nearly $10 shiping this boxset to and me and back to them, and I'll get the $10 savings on the second package when it finally arrives.

I didn't realize the economy in general--and their business specifically--was going so well that they could operate in such a bone-headed manner. They have money to burn, it seems...

Terrible customer service. And as the OP implies... shadiness on their part. It takes them 4 days to prepare to ship something--hence the "Shipping Soon" status to lock in the order & price?? Can't cancel, can't get the lower price that magically appears after the pre-orders get the "Shipping Soon" status....
Old 05-18-09, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't pre-order from Amazon anymore.
Old 05-18-09, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by phraseturner
I noticed this yesterday (May 17th) that the price was now $69.99, even though I pre-ordered on the 13th @ $79.99. My status was "shipping soon" although it showed the ship date as the 21st. I called and asked for the lower price, but Amazon said no. They would rather I refuse the delivery of the $79.99 package, and re-order the item at the $69.99 price. So they end up eating shipping of the $79.99 package to me and back to them, rather than use a few keystrokes to lower the price of an item that their own site says will not ship for another 4 days?!?!?

So, I'll refuse the first package that arrives. They'll spend nearly $10 shiping this boxset to and me and back to them, and I'll get the $10 savings on the second package when it finally arrives.

I didn't realize the economy in general--and their business specifically--was going so well that they could operate in such a bone-headed manner. They have money to burn, it seems...

Oh, and I believe Amazon was one of the few companies to actually post a nice profit last year.

Terrible customer service. And as the OP implies... shadiness on their part. It takes them 4 days to prepare to ship something--hence the "Shipping Soon" status to lock in the order & price?? Can't cancel, can't get the lower price that magically appears after the pre-orders get the "Shipping Soon" status....

Yeah, and as the digitalbits.com guy said orders were late due to replication delays...so....you have to ask, why are they ramping up demand by lowering the price?

Last edited by mw390; 05-18-09 at 01:02 PM.
Old 05-18-09, 01:09 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
This. I don't pre-order anything from Amazon any more as the price can often change the next day.
Old 05-18-09, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema

Why didnt I think of that?
Old 05-18-09, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

This is the reason I rarely buy from Amazon anymore. Wild price fluctuations and no more 30 day post-order price guarantee.
Old 05-18-09, 01:35 PM

Dirt bags. They said no to me and they upped the price back to 79.99. Customer loyalty....priceless
Old 05-18-09, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts

If you refuse shipment, don't you have to eat the shipping cost unless it was their mistake in sending you the wrong item?
Old 05-18-09, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by mw390
I just read about this at High Def Digest. I emailed them as my discs shipped yesterday. Anyone get a hit back yet? Are they refunding? This is VERY fishy, one day after shipping.

(Lowered the price $10 since yesterday)
Great post where you don't tell anyone anything about what you're talking about. And it's also a great bargain too! Awesome job.
Old 05-18-09, 10:25 PM

Amazon Price Back Up to $79.99

Amazon has raised the price back up to $79.99 for the ST 1-6 Collection.

I think they lowered it just for a day. Now it's back to its original $79.99 price.

Is this the stock market fluctuations at work?
Old 05-20-09, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, if you abuse this a few times, Amazon will drop you as a customer.
They did this awhile back to all those guys that were playing games with price changes.

As someone said, just don't preorder unless you are happy with the price you are paying. It has been known awhile that they removed the guarantee.
Old 05-20-09, 03:26 PM

Received 771 Likes on 504 Posts
Re: Amazon Price Back Up to $79.99

Originally Posted by dvdirv
Amazon has raised the price back up to $79.99 for the ST 1-6 Collection.

I think they lowered it just for a day. Now it's back to its original $79.99 price.

Is this the stock market fluctuations at work?
I'm getting a price of $74.95 right now... glad I cancelled my pre-order... but I'm still skeptical of getting the set.

Old 05-20-09, 03:30 PM

I still think that removing that price guarantee was a bone headed move, but maybe it is just me. I don't buy nearly as much as I use to with them unless it is an extreme good deal. They are usually just price matching Best Buy and Target anyway so buying from the store is just as easy and I get it that day.
I am in Washington so I have to pay sales tax to Amazon so I get no incentive that way.
Old 05-20-09, 06:01 PM

They will automatically take the cost of shipping back to them off of your "refund". Their policies are very clear that returns not due to their error (meaning something broken, or they shipped the wrong thing) will have cost of shipping deducted from the refund.
I guess you could go through the whole credit card fight which will takes hours of your time on the phone / computer, and probably days off your life. Better to eat the $10. Amazon good deals have probably saved my 100's if not thousands of dollars over the years I have dealt with them... $10 is not worth it. The customer does not have to always be right....
Old 05-20-09, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Schiller
Well, if you abuse this a few times, Amazon will drop you as a customer.
They did this awhile back to all those guys that were playing games with price changes.

As someone said, just don't preorder unless you are happy with the price you are paying. It has been known awhile that they removed the guarantee.
Which is why I'm not doing this. However, I find it funny that when I emailed them a complaint on the immediate price drop, their own recommendation to me was to refuse the shipment and re-order at the new price. I love Amazon and they have been more than fair with me on past issues. I'll just have to think twice when pre-ordering a pricier DVD set, which I actually did in this case. It worked out fine with the Star Trek TV season one set so I felt "safe" in this pre-order. They would be making a lot of customers happier if they brought back the 30 day price guarantee.
Old 05-20-09, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You could always refuse it because you just found out about the "negative" reviews on all but one (#2) of the BR transfers. Course, you re-ordering it would negate that defense.

It was pretty sad when they stopped offering the price guarantee. That's why I monitor prices on items I'm wanting on a daily basis via the cart showing price fluctuations on items in cart/wish list.
Old 05-20-09, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Amazon Price Back Up to $79.99

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
I'm getting a price of $74.95 right now... glad I cancelled my pre-order... but I'm still skeptical of getting the set.
I am loving the first season on Blu-ray and nearly pulled the trigger on the movies and sold off my 2 disc DVDs. However, the reviews and the missing extras have put this on hold for now. I think this one is going to wait until a serious deal comes along.
Old 05-21-09, 10:29 PM

The 30-day price guarantee is gone but the Preorder guarantee is still there, so that if the price drops prior to the release you get the lower price.
Old 06-07-09, 01:20 PM

The price is back down to 69.99 today,and the 3 movie set is 29.99
Old 06-07-09, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In for one on the 3-movie set @ $29.99.
Old 06-07-09, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 271 Likes on 204 Posts

Pre-ordering as far from release date as possible is advantageous due to the pre order price guarantee as forumsmy said. You get the lowest price that the product reaches between the time of your pre order and ship date. If the price isn't good (e.g. you see a better price/deal at Best Buy or Target), cancel before it ships.
Old 06-07-09, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Pre-ordering as far from release date as possible is advantageous due to the pre order price guarantee as forumsmy said. You get the lowest price that the product reaches between the time of your pre order and ship date. If the price isn't good (e.g. you see a better price/deal at Best Buy or Target), cancel before it ships.
I think what people where complaining about is price drops a week or two after the release date and since Amazon does not do the 30 day price match anymore you are kinda screwed if you pre ordered even if it was cheaper than anywhere else at the time of release

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.