DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Desperate Housewives -- 2 Hour Season Finale -- 5/17/09

Photobucket

Episode Titles:

"Everybody says Don't/If It's Only In Your Head"

Synopsis:

Spoiler:

Tom decides to go back to school (much to Lynette's dismay); Orson threatens Bree with blackmail; and Dave makes a "friendly" gesture to Susan. Roberta: Lily Tomlin. Karl: Richard Burgi.

2 episodes back to back tonight. This is the only major scripted show tonight.
Old 05-17-09, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts
Re: Desperate Housewives -- 2 Hour Season Finale -- 5/17/09

Probably because of this and the Survivor finale. I need to see both but am running short of DVR space...
Old 05-17-09, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Big story with dave/susan/mike was meh, but lil stories about ana/gaby/carlos, baby factory, and bree/lawyer were good.
Old 05-17-09, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Well, Susan/Mike story ended incredibly predictably. Was that Kathryn's daughter in the first pew? I couldn't tell.

If I were Bree, I would have had those things stolen again, and hide them better.

Also, didn't the new teenager sort of look like Kathryn's kid? Maybe I'm just confusing them.

Overall, meh.
Old 05-17-09, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts

Ugh, I hope Mike married Katherine.
Old 05-18-09, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Terrible. That is all.
Old 05-18-09, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

At best, a mediocre pair of episodes. Hopefully, Dave is gone forever, and they don't bring him back after a "recovery".
Old 05-18-09, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by cdollaz
Ugh, I hope Mike married Katherine.
While technically a "cliffhanger," I think we all "know" he remarried Susan, and assured himself a life (or at least another season) of perpetual misery.
Old 05-18-09, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Let's see you have a choice between one woman who keeps the house spotless, is a ridiculously good cook, doesn't seem to be too fucked up in the head, and is very attractive to boot. The other woman burns mac and cheese, is constantly fucking up everything she touches, is mentally unstable, and is usually pretty annoying. Well I know who I would choose.
Old 05-18-09, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
Well I know who I would choose.

Sure, but you live in the real world, not Hysteria Lane.
Old 05-18-09, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm seriously considering giving this show up. It's gotten very bad, and worse, very predictable.
Old 05-18-09, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
Let's see you have a choice between one woman who keeps the house spotless, is a ridiculously good cook, doesn't seem to be too fucked up in the head, and is very attractive to boot. The other woman burns mac and cheese, is constantly fucking up everything she touches, is mentally unstable, and is usually pretty annoying. Well I know who I would choose.
Sure, Katherine is a great cook, but someone who has to lie and manipulate you in order to get you to marry her doesn't seem like a huge prize to me. I hope he did marry Susan, who after all is the mother of his child.

After seeing poor MJ bounced around all season, I think it would be great if his parents were back together.
Old 05-18-09, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

And we know that Susan would never lie, manipulate, steal jewelry, act like a psycho or anything like that. We're grading on a curve here. If you're picking someone from this block, I think Katherine is still your safest bet.

Of course he's going to pick Susan. TV writers have this weird thing about certain characters being "destined" for each other, despite the fact that in real life these people would be absolutely toxic for each other.

Also, I am considering why I watch this show more than ever. The characters have simply gotten more and more unlikeable and less sympathetic the more I watch. They have barely any redeeming qualities. Can you think back to the first season and pick Carlos as the one person with good qualities?

People behaving badly should be more fun. I don't know if I'm having enough fun with this show anymore.
Old 05-18-09, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

From USA Today...
Season finale frenzy: 'Desperate Housewives'

You didn't really think Housewives was going to kill a housekid, did you?

Even for a series that has had more than its share of fictional fatalities, murdering adorable little MJ would have been a hideous step too far, one you never thought a show that is essentially a comedy was going to take.

Which is why, despite a few entertaining flourishes, Sunday night's two-hour Desperate Housewivesmostly seemed to be spinning its wheels, desperately trying to build suspense around an event we never really feared was going to happen.

Stretching what felt like a half-hour worth of plot over a two-episode slot, the show took too long to get to the climax — and telegraphed the (relatively) happy ending before it got there. The set-up was scary enough: Dave tied Susan to a post so she'd be forced to watch as he recreated the crash that killed his wife and child. Only this time, Mike would crash into Dave's car, killing MJ in the back seat. But at the last minute, in a hallucination-inspired act of charity, Dave let MJ out of the car and went to the accident alone, only to survive and end up in a mental hospital.

FIND MORE STORIES IN: Canada | Desperate Housewives | Teri Hatcher | Gale Harold | Neal McDonough
Granted, last year's finale was a hard act to follow. It had one of the show's better mysteries to solve — the secret of Katherine's past — and ended with one of the show's best tricks: a five-year leap forward. As good as Neal McDonough was as Dave, his revenge plot couldn't hope to compete. It was too simple and unraveled too quickly.

Unfortunately, this flat and silly episode not only didn't live up to last year's effort, it also didn't live up to the season it was meant to finish. This has been a good year for Desperate, and it deserved a better end.

Too much of the episode just didn't ring true. I didn't buy Bree's desperation to get divorced, or Katherine's desperation to get married. And clearly the time has come for a TV time-out on hallucinatory visits from the dead, even though in this case, Dave's visions did provide an excuse for a surprise return by Nicollette Sheridan.

Worst of all, much of the show was spent setting up new plots that seem deeply unpromising. Lynette pregnant with twins? Gaby and Carlos living with a teenage tramp? Carl and Bree a couple?

Oh, and Mike getting married — though in cliffhanger fashion, we don't know to whom.

And after that finale, I don't know if we care.
Old 05-18-09, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

End of that article pretty much sums it up for me.
Old 05-18-09, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts

Other than the Susan/MJ/Dave stuff, which was predictable as mentioned in the article above, I thought it was OK. I am interested to see where the Bree/Orson stuff will go, what will happen to the Scavos, and I like that Gabby has someone that can get under her skin.
Old 05-18-09, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It was OK but the show has jumped the shark. I give it one more year.
Old 05-18-09, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

I hope every episode next season consists solely of an hour of the teenage tramp.
Old 05-18-09, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

For a second there, I thought the entire season was a hallucination by Dave in the mental hospital and I thought "Oh no they did NOT just do that!"

And I'm thinking it's time to add a stop sign at that intersection. Or Mike/Susan should just avoid that intersection altogether.
Old 05-18-09, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JTH182
I hope every episode next season consists solely of an hour of the teenage tramp.
Do we have a name to Google yet?
Old 05-18-09, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Isn't Lynette a bit mature to be pregnant without the assistance of a doctor? I have no idea how old she is on the show, but I remember her making a big deal about being her age and re-entering the workplace before the five-year jump. This seems unrealistic to me.

And is it me or is Wisteria Lane overflowing with useless children already? For some reason Susan's are the only ones I can stomach (and Andrew). The rest of them haven't brought much to show (especially Gaby's. Whenever I see her with those kids I feel like she's babysitting them, and that she is in no way their biological mother).

I stopped watching regularly when Edie passed but I recorded this episode to see how it wrapped up. The Betty Applewhite season finale was better than this one.
Old 05-18-09, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The intersection does have a stop sign. It was knocked down the night Susan ran it, and I'm guessing this time Dave was supposed to yield to it.
Old 05-18-09, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think it's time to leave Wisteria Lane behind after this season.
Old 05-19-09, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mraw
Isn't Lynette a bit mature to be pregnant without the assistance of a doctor? I have no idea how old she is on the show, but I remember her making a big deal about being her age and re-entering the workplace before the five-year jump. This seems unrealistic to me.
Didn't they establish earlier that Lynette was super-fertile? I seem to remember once Tom wanted to have sex without birth control and she freaked out because she says she gets pregnant at the drop of the hat. Still, that was before the 5 year jump, but it wouldn't be impossible.

What I thought was unrealistic is that she never had her tubes tied or had Tom get a vasectomy after Penny was born. I would have thought they would have opted for some more permanent birth control after they were done having their kids.
Old 05-19-09, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree that the season finale wasn't all the great, but, I hardly think this show has "jumped the shark". Overall, it was a pretty great season. I think it's funny that people start saying, "I think I'm done with this show", just because of a couple of off episodes. Overall, this show is pretty consistently good. To each their own, I guess.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.