Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

General Music Game Discussion Thread (Guitar Hero, Rock Band, Rock Revolution, etc)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

General Music Game Discussion Thread (Guitar Hero, Rock Band, Rock Revolution, etc)

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-08, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Occasionally I want to talk about this genre in a manner that spans some or all of the games and doesn't really belong in the "A", "B" or "A or B" thread. So this is more of an "A and B" thread.

So, let's get this started on a topic that I feel might be hot...

One thing I've always been curious about is your thoughts on track ownership. You buy a disc with a bunch of songs on it. Do you own those songs out of the context of the game? Is ripping them and putting them on your iPod or whatever fair use? What about DLC songs, same logic, different?

If that isn't fair use, how do you see it as any different than buying CDs and ripping them? Or burning iTunes/Zune/Amazon tracks to a CD?

To be clear, I am not talking about nor condoning obtaining songs you haven't purchased or through improper channels.

So, I'll start by saying that I see the rights for these songs as no different than any other song I "own" on other mediums. I have no issue having portable copies of these songs that I've paid for. If that means I have to hook the audio up to my PC to pull them while I play with crowd noise turned down, so be it. Rock Band 2's jukebox mode is going to make this so much easier to not have to also play it to get the full experience.

Additionally, there are plenty of songs I have owned prior to them existing in any of these games and I have no problem paying for them again to play them within the context of the games. However, I'm saying that the reverse isn't necessarily true - in that if I buy them to play in the game, I feel that I should be able to listen to them outside of the game.

Last edited by pinata242; 09-02-08 at 11:13 AM.
Old 09-02-08, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This argument is similar to movies and their soundtracks. If I own a movie on DVD does that mean I can legally download copy of the soundtrack under the pretense of fairuse? Probably not, the format is similar but not the same. However with strictly music, there should be no issue buying a CD and coping that to your digital music player or computer multiple times.

I think lawyers argue that just because you purchase something you don't own it. You just are buying the rights to listen to it. Same applies here with in game content.
Old 09-02-08, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So within the context of games, you only have the right to play it as the game allows - either actively (as the game) or passively (via a "jukebox").
Old 09-02-08, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there a copy of the game's license online? That may clear it up.
Old 09-02-08, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,658 Likes on 1,034 Posts
They talked a little bit about this on the 1up show last week.

It sounds like the license for these games is specific to that game - so that's why you have to pay additional licensing fees to take songs from Rock Band (that you already paid for) to bring them into Rock Band 2. I can't imagine it would extend out to ripping out your own versions, but as always they can't really close the "analog hole."
Old 09-02-08, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
I got my new copy of EGM today, and in the RUMOR MILL it says that Guitar Hero has got the inside track on Beatles exclusivity, but not to expect anything until about 2010 (at least as far as tracks and stuff).
Old 09-02-08, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
As much as I love the Beatles, I can't imagine solo play being all that challenging or fun for most of their catalog. Now in a band setting it could be hella fun.
Old 09-02-08, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Any game that lets me play "Rock Me Sexy Jesus" is on my must buy list. Make it happen.
Old 09-02-08, 09:48 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
As much as I love the Beatles, I can't imagine solo play being all that challenging or fun for most of their catalog. Now in a band setting it could be hella fun.
Agreed. I'm not even a huge Beatles fan, and I'd still buy every Beatles tune (or game) available, even if they weren't real challenging.

But the holy grail has to be Zeppelin. They could make a couple games with nothing but Zeppelin and most of the songs would be fun and challenging, I think. But it sounds like they don't have much interest.
Old 09-03-08, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Whoever gets The Beatles gets all my money, but it must be in a band game, not just guitar or karaoke.
Old 09-03-08, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here's a vid of "Pull Me Under" in Rock Revolution. I hope all the covers aren't this bad, for their sake.

<embed id="mymovie" width="432" height="362" flashvars="playerMode=embedded&movieAspect=4.3&flavor=EmbeddedPlayerVersion&skin=http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/cne_flash/production/media_player/proteus/one/skins/gamespot.png&paramsURI=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gamespot.com%2Fpages%2Fvideo_player%2Fxml.php%3Fid%3D6196312%26mode%3Demb edded%26width%3D432%26height%3D362" wmode="transparent" allowscriptaccess="always" quality="high" name="mymovie" style="" src="http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/cne_flash/production/media_player/proteus/one/proteus2.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"/>
Old 09-03-08, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

If it's anything like KR:AI, all of the covers will be horrible.
Old 09-03-08, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by pinata242
If it's anything like KR:AI, all of the covers will be horrible.
Those were so bad it took me out of the game.

Doesn't really matter anymore as Rock Revolution has been delayed until next year. By that time, I am sure a Pantera pack (and others on RR) will be released by GH or RB thus making Rock Revolution pointless.
Old 09-03-08, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't like the vertical scrolling fret board. I don't see this game being nearly as successful as GH or RB.
Old 09-03-08, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

At least they got a guy with some decent drumming skills to show it off - with cool glasses to boot!
Old 09-03-08, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by edstein
I don't like the vertical scrolling fret board. I don't see this game being nearly as successful as GH or RB.

Agreed, but I am sure its costs are much lower with covers and whatnot. And the vertical scrolling doesn't look right to me.

I was for sure going to buy it for about 15 songs but with the 3-6 month delay, I am sure RB or GH will release enough DLC that will make the entire Rock Revolution game setlist near pointless.
Old 09-03-08, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Search "guitar hero beatles" on YouTube for all the custom charts done for the PC version. A lot of those look hella hard.
Old 09-03-08, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So I went to youtube to do just that and I saw this new video on my subscription list and thought I'd share it:

That's really cool. He's got a few more if you're interested.

Kool Thing
Working Man
You've Got Another Thing Comin'
More Than a Feeling
Electric Eye
Old 09-03-08, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Add another one to the list. (spoilered to thwart auto-play). Is it just me, or is the framing of the model a little suspect for the intended audience? Nice boobies and ass. Order here for the low, low price of $80.

Spoiler:
<iframe src="http://www.familychristian.com/video/57021.html" id="vid" scrolling="no" width="640" frameborder="0" height="400"></iframe>
Old 09-03-08, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Nice model. Circles and rectangles are taken, how about triangle notes!

That Rock Revolution vid got me pumped... pumped to play Pull Me Under on Guitar Hero.
Old 09-03-08, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by pinata242
Add another one to the list. (spoilered to thwart auto-play). Is it just me, or is the framing of the model a little suspect for the intended audience? Nice boobies and ass. Order here for the low, low price of $80.

Spoiler:
<iframe src="http://www.familychristian.com/video/57021.html" id="vid" scrolling="no" width="640" frameborder="0" height="400"></iframe>
Song List

Spoiler:
Artist Song Name
12 Stones Broken
Bride Same Ol' Sinner
Caedmons Call There You Go
Casting Crowns Lifesong
Chris Tomlin Made to Worship
Darrell Evans So Good To Me
David Crowder Band Foreverandever Etc.
Day Of Fire Reap and Sow
dc Talk Jesus Freak
Family Force 5 Love Addict
Flyleaf Perfect
Hawk Nelson The Show
Hawk Nelson Friend Like That
Inhabited Rescue Me
Israel & New Breed All Around
James Clay Franklin Park
Jared Anderson Blind Man
Jennifer Knapp Undo Me
Jeremy Camp Tonight
Jessie Daniels What I Hear
Jonah33 Father's Song
Josh Bates Perfect Day
Kutless Beyond the Surface
Kutless Hearts of the Innocent
Lincoln Brewster Spin
Nate Sallie All About You
Nevertheless The Real
Newsboys Something Beautiful
Paul Baloche Rock of Ages
Paul Baloche All The Earth Will Sing Your Praises
Petra Backsliding Blues
Pillar When Tommorrow Comes
Red Breathe Into Me
Relient K I Need You
Seventh Day Slumber Awake
Skillet The Older I Get
Skillet Rebirthing
Skillet Savior
Spoken Wind In My Sails
Spoken Falling Further
Spur 58 Sleepwalkers
Stellar Kart Procrastinating
Superchick We Live
The Crucified The Pit
This Beautiful Republic Going Under
Thousand Foot Krutch The Flame in All of Us
Thousand Foot Krutch The Art of Breaking
tobyMac I'm For You
Todd Agnew This Fragile Breath
Warren Barfield My Heart Goes Out
Whitecross Who Will You Follow
Whitecross When The Walls Tumble Down
Old 09-04-08, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

New topic (maybe this one goes in the "or" thread, but try to keep it civil):

Duplicated DLC: Only one game, both/all, rebuy for preferred, wait if rumored for preferred?

That basically covers it. We know, for example, Smashing Pumpkins' 1979 is coming to GH:WT, not announced for RB. Similarly, RHCP's Under the Bridge is coming to RB, not announced for GH:WT.

Are you going to buy songs you like on any and all platforms they're available or are you going to prefer one over the other? If you do prefer one over the other, are you going to buy on the other unless you know to wait and, if it does eventually come, do you rebuy it?

I realize this is a hard question to answer at this point, being that we don't really have the means to have a preferred platform yet, but this assumes that eventually you will have one and I think the point applies regardless of specifics.

For me, I think I'm going to prefer Rock Band mainly because I currently do. And I play with my daughters a lot, the "No Fail" option is going to be big for us. As such, if a song is available in RB, I doubt I would rebuy it in GH unless I just really really loved it. Conversely, I would wait for RB if it was rumored unless I really loved it and needed it now. However, I can't say that I would rebuy absolutely everything that came to GH first.

Of course, this could all flip flop if I fall in love with GH.
Old 09-04-08, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

First platform that gets a song I like, I will buy it for that platform. I don't want to wait for something that may or may not be released.

If for some reason I have a choice, I will go with Rock Band just because it is a bigger catalogue.

I am coming across (and it will happen more) on deciding whether to buy songs for GH or RB that were released on earlier GH versions. Some I have bought again, some I haven't.
Old 09-04-08, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rock Band is always getting my sale first, but if something great comes out on GH:WT that isn't on RB, I won't hesitate to get it - although if there are serious confirmed rumours of said greatness coming to RB, I'll try to wait.
Old 09-04-08, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That Rock Revolution vid got me pumped... pumped to play Pull Me Under on Guitar Hero.
Agreed. That drum intro is awesome. BTW, who else was surprised that Kid could drum?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.