Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Push (Paul McGuigan, 2009) — Telekinesis and Dakota Fanning, Chris Evans, Hounsou

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Push (Paul McGuigan, 2009) — Telekinesis and Dakota Fanning, Chris Evans, Hounsou

Old 10-21-08, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

HD Trailer | IMDB | 6 February 2009

A riveting action-thriller, Push burrows deep into the deadly world of psychic espionage where artificially enhanced paranormal operatives have the ability to move objects with their minds, see the future, create new realities and kill without ever touching their victims. Against this setting, a young man and a teenage girl take on a clandestine agency in a race against time that will determine the future of civilization.

<hr>

Pros:
+ Most movies with Hounsou are good.
+ Theme seems interesting.
+ Explosions.

Cons:
- Jumper was awful.
- Untested/unknown director and writer.
- There's only one good movie that Summit is distributing and it's not the one with the Human fucking Torch in it.
- Jumper... did you see it? It was terrible.
Old 10-21-08, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Surprisingly it doesn't look that bad. I wouldn't call McGuigan untested either. Gangster No. 1 was really good and lots of people I know like Lucky Number Slevin.
Old 10-21-08, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I saw the trailer for this in front of Sex Drive last weekend. It looked pretty interesting to me, although it just makes me think of Heroes.

And I didn't think Jumper was that bad at all.
Old 10-21-08, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
I too have a Jumper feeling with this, but this could actually be good.
Old 10-21-08, 02:48 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by fumanstan
I saw the trailer for this in front of Sex Drive last weekend. It looked pretty interesting to me, although it just makes me think of Heroes.

And I didn't think Jumper was that bad at all.
i agree with your Heroes vibe.
Old 10-21-08, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Definitely made me think, "Oh, 'Heroes' for the movies". Not that that's a bad thing. I'll be seeing it.
Old 10-21-08, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

IMO, McGuigan is 2 for 2.

The film doesn't look that interesting, but with McGuigan at helm, it might be watchable.
Old 10-21-08, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
seen the preview before SexDrive yesterday and thought it looked better than Twilight, kinda has a Jumper meets Heroes thing going on.
Old 10-22-08, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thought the trailer was pretty lackluster, but with that cast I'll probably see it anyhow...
Old 02-06-09, 09:23 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 898 Likes on 759 Posts
Re: Push (Paul McGuigan, 2009) — Telekinesis and Dakota Fanning, Chris Evans, Hounsou

anyone actually see this yet?
Old 02-06-09, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts
Re: Push (Paul McGuigan, 2009) — Telekinesis and Dakota Fanning, Chris Evans, Hounsou

I liked Jumper, so I'll try to catch this during the weekend.
Old 02-06-09, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by candyrocket786
I liked Jumper, so I'll try to catch this during the weekend.
Same here.
Old 02-06-09, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I wasn't too thrilled by it. While the cast is good, the idea behind these powers and whatnot seemed half-thought out. It was paced weirdly; fast then slllooowww. I don't know, I can see some really liking it and others rolling their eyes.
Old 02-06-09, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, just alright... the middle is really SLOW, with lots of scenes that go nowhere and don't even help to build characters (no one here seems like a real person - just a 'power')... and the movie just ENDS without much resolution... if this were a hit, I could see the next film in the series delivering the goods, but this one is so weak I doubt they'll get a chance to make the next one... great cast but weak execution, no distinct/fleshed out characters and TIRED plot elements = dull.
Old 02-06-09, 10:29 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

I give it a marginal recommendation. Like the others who've seen it, it did drag at times, and some of the characters didn't feel very fleshed out, but it mostly kept my interest. It was a more bleak version of "Heroes."

I really liked the chemistry between Evans and Fanning, in their sort of brother/sister relationship. I wouldn't compare this to Jumper, which I thought was pretty bad. At least the characters' actions in this one make more sense and had some decent dialogue.
Old 02-06-09, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I saw Push today and this is not this year's Jumper....Jumper was a lot better than this film. I would say it's more like this year's 10,000 B.C., which also starred Camilla Belle.

Let me sum up PUSH:

PROS:
+Dakota Fanning is not a little girl anymore
+Dakota Fanning gets drunk
+Dakota Fanning curses
+Dakota Fanning still manages to get some good emotional scenes in there
+Dakota Fanning is the next Jodie Foster
+Amistad is in it. He's always good, eventhough I can't understand what he says half the time.
+Cliff Curtis is in it, with powers to change the shape of things (I still wanted him to play Zartan in the G.I. Joe film, who is a shape shifter/master of disguise)
+Chris Evans is always entertaining and should be a leading man in more films
+Amistad's right-hand blond man is pretty cool and gets the most bad-ass action in the film.
+nice shots of Hong Kong

CONS:
-not good enough story, especially if it's trying to be a set-up for a sequel that will never happen.
-Camilla Belle shouldn't be in Hollywood - she's unappealing and droopy-eyed.
-not enough action

The main reason to see this film is to see the screaming, eye-bulging Chinese guys. They are so unintentionally funny and awesome, it's worth the price of admission. And I'm being serious. Totally worth the price of 12.50 theater admission. I hope these guys get roles in future X-men films..

Last edited by toddly6666; 02-06-09 at 11:30 PM.
Old 02-06-09, 11:38 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

^^^ you have far too many positives to still call this movie worse than Jumper.
Old 02-06-09, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just by the list of pros sound like it was a better movie than Jumper.

Christ, that picture you posted already entertained me more than Jumper.
Old 02-07-09, 01:42 AM

I generally liked it but this guys says what I felt almost exactly:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/40018
Old 02-07-09, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by toddly6666
-Camilla Belle shouldn't be in Hollywood - she's unappealing and droopy-eyed.
Are you kidding? She's gorgeous.

Old 02-07-09, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NiCK Crush
Are you kidding? She's gorgeous.

She's like Megan Fox, with talent.

I wanted to see this, but the bad reviews gave me pause. If I'd woken up earlier today, I'd have gone to see it, but I didn't. Maybe next weekend.
Old 02-07-09, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

She's like Megan Fox, with talent.
I take it you haven't seen Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen..
Old 02-07-09, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Saw this last night, pretty meh. Not near enough action and the ending was terrible. Dakota Fanning drunk was pretty funny though

As to the Camilla Belle argument, she's good-looking but something about her eyebrows bothers me...
Old 02-07-09, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by pridesticks06
Saw this last night, pretty meh. Not near enough action and the ending was terrible. Dakota Fanning drunk was pretty funny though

As to the Camilla Belle argument, she's good-looking but something about her eyebrows bothers me...
it's not just her eyebrows, but also her droopy eyes...her bang hairdo didn't help as well...
Old 02-07-09, 04:45 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 898 Likes on 759 Posts

Originally Posted by toddly6666
IPROS:
++Amistad is in it. He's always good, eventhough I can't understand what he says half the time.
The Amistad is a ship, not a person. have you even seen the movie or just thought you'd be clever in referencing Djimon Hounsou?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.