Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official METAL! Thread- Metalcore, Thrash, Progressive, Death, and MORE

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 09-03-08, 08:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

..simply because there needs to be one.

I'd like to keep an ongoing conversation with fellow metalheads here at DVDTalk if that's alright with everyone. We've already had some great releases this year, and soon we'll have new albums from Metallica, All That Remains, and All Shall Perish. In addition, there is probably a lot more.

I guess to start off, I'll ask all to post their favorite bands. Currently, I'm really into All Shall Perish but Killswitch Engage, Tool, and Threat Signal have been consistent favorites of mine, Tool for years. Oddly enough, my all-time favorite band is Coheed and Cambria (which some MIGHT call metal, depending on what song. They cover a lot of ground).

Anyway, discuss! (Currently listening to Awaken the Dreamers by All Shall Perish off their new album. Freaking great music).
Old 09-03-08, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

aal time Fave bands

Judas Priest
Alice Cooper
Iron Maiden
Black Sabbath (Dio and Ozzy)
Rob Zombie / White Zombie
Kiss

others I'm into in no order

Metal Church
Testament
Motorhead
Shadows Fall
Deep Purple
Overkill
Motley Crue
Lamb of God
Trivium
Anthrax
old Metallica
Jackyl
Megadeth
Corrosion Of Conformity
Children of Bodom
Slayer
Helloween
Disturbed
Drowning Pool
Strapping Young Lad

and many more

Last edited by cactusoly; 09-07-08 at 07:41 PM.
Old 09-03-08, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As i posted in the slipknot thread, the new all shall perish is amazing. www.myspace.com/allshallperish . they upped the full album.
Old 09-03-08, 09:11 PM

Anyone hear the new Trivium stuff? Into the Mouth of Hell is pretty good. I loved Ascendancy, but Crusade was garbage, imo. Looking forward to the new album, though.
Old 09-03-08, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The new Arsis is teriffic. The drums are technically and musically amazing. Also, same goes for the new Bloodbath ep.
Old 09-03-08, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Cavalera Conspiracy is getting a lot of play from me right now. Great old school metal album.
Old 09-03-08, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

from the knot thread
Originally Posted by StephenX
Awaken the Dreamers is AWESOME!! Thanks for the link. I will definitely picking this up on the 16th. I usually don't REALLY dig into death metal (if you call this death metal) but they are so good. I don't wanna run off topic in this thread, so, if you all would care to join me, I've created a metal thread on the front page.
They're usually conistered deathcore. But with this album there is much more melodic parts and even a bit of clean singing. The high pitched scream on "Reign in Gold" is fucking awsome. and yet it fits somehow, i read it was done by the guy in three inches of blood.
Old 09-03-08, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 108 Likes on 67 Posts
So ive hit kinda of a stale period in my metal mania. Been listening to the same stuff over and over, want to try something new. Got some Opeth and im really digging on it. Im into thrash and straight metal, not really into screaming or deep vocales. Any suggestions
Old 09-03-08, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

if your digging Opeth, give Amon Amarth a shot. Although it does have the 'death metal' vocals, its not really as deep as most death metal. Other suggestions, Carcass, Death, maybe some At the Gates.
Old 09-03-08, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If you're not into screaming or deep vocals.. well, all you really have left is Goth metal. Or Goth rock, whatever you want to call it. Like Lacuna Coil, Draconian, etc.

I'd say def. give Amon Amarth a shot. They are Death Metal (well, Viking Metal) and have gutteral style vocals, but they're good enough to keep you busy for a while.

I'd say start out with some of their newer stuff like "With Oden on Our Side".. For standout tracks on that album try "Cry of the Blackbirds", "Gods of War Arise" and "With Oden on Our Side".. Then go rock out to some "Fate of Norns".

I've personally never really gotten into Opeth. They usually have like 1 song I like per album.. be it "Bleak" or "The Grand Conjuration" they're usually only good for that one song, and I wasn't particularly that impressed with "Watershed" either.

Oh, as for my recommendation. I'd say just listen to more Vio-lence. That's usually what I do when I hit a stale period. Always makes me feel good.
Old 09-03-08, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I was going to also suggest Nightwish too. I think they're consitered 'symphonic metal' since there is an orchestral sound to it with a mix of angelic singing (or operatic if you get the older stuff) and the tough guy, kind of screaming, but not really male vocal.
Old 09-03-08, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

cactusoly must have really enjoyed the Metal Masters tour this year. I sure did
Old 09-04-08, 12:04 AM

Oh, and my favorite bands are:

Iron Maiden
Exodus (with Baloff)
Mercyful Fate
Satanic Warmaster
Testament
Priest
..amongst others.

Currently destroying me:

Akercocke (Progressive Black/Death) Their album "Words That Go Unspoken" is a masterpiece.
Equilibrium (German Viking Metal) "Turis Fratyr" has been played consistently on my Ipod for more than a week now.
Old 09-04-08, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I assume your not a fan of new Exodus?
Old 09-04-08, 12:33 AM

No. "Shovel Headed Kill Machine" had a couple OK songs on it, but I could barely make it though "Atrocity Exhibition".
Old 09-04-08, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mordred
cactusoly must have really enjoyed the Metal Masters tour this year. I sure did
I drove 5 hours to see that show... the ultimate line up \m/
Old 09-04-08, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by beavis69
So ive hit kinda of a stale period in my metal mania. Been listening to the same stuff over and over, want to try something new. Got some Opeth and im really digging on it. Im into thrash and straight metal, not really into screaming or deep vocales. Any suggestions
I'd suggest Threat Signal. Amazing band with a very good guitarist. I would recommend "When All is Said and Done," "Counterbalance" and "As I Destruct" as some of their top songs.
Old 09-04-08, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 108 Likes on 67 Posts
Of those i dug Death, Threat Signal, and Akercocke which was mentioned above. I guess my problem with alot of metal these days is the song starts and it has a great sound until the singer starts and just ruins it. I dont get the whole gutteral vocals. I dont mind it when they do it everyonce in awhile, but doing it the whole song just makes it sound like ass. I love Pantera and wish i could find something like them again. Over the past couple of years have turned towards punk a little more, but i like still crossing back over into metal every once and awhile

Last edited by beavis69; 09-04-08 at 09:48 AM.
Old 09-04-08, 09:30 AM

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
My all-time favorites are- Well my favorite band is Thin Lizzy, you may call them metal or not but they're close enough for me. other favorites are Motorhead, Megadeth,
Annihilator, Deep Purple, old Judas Priest, some Nightwish-Once was great. Overkill, Saxon, UFO, Deep Purple, Grim Reaper,Black Sabbath, The Rods, old Pantera, Rebel Meets Rebel, Trouble, Raven, early Savatage, and some Gary Moore stuff like the cd Scars which is as heavy as it can ever be.
I don't know a lot of new Metal bands these days. I have been scared off a bit by those growling vocals that I don't care for. For that reason I have stayed with the older stuff more than trying out new bands. So if there are some good metal bands who can actually sing ( even if they can't sing well for that matter ) but not growling, let me know, I'd like to try some new good metal cd's out. That growling shit just turns me off.
Good job Stephenx starting a Metal only thread!

Last edited by JOE29; 09-04-08 at 09:38 AM.
Old 09-04-08, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
For me Opeth is the epitome of what I want metal to be these days. Classy, brutal, intricate and beautiful all at once. They are easily my most listened to metal band right now. Dream Theater is a close second.
Old 09-04-08, 10:11 AM

Of those i dug Death, Threat Signal, and Akercocke which was mentioned above. I guess my problem with alot of metal these days is the song starts and it has a great sound until the singer starts and just ruins it. I dont get the whole gutteral vocals. I dont mind it when they do it everyonce in awhile, but doing it the whole song just makes it sound like ass. I love Pantera and wish i could find something like them again. Over the past couple of years have turned towards punk a little more, but i like still crossing back over into metal every once and awhile
Most metal vocalists/bands these days think the pig-squealing, growling, screaming fits better with what metal has become, and who is to say they are wrong. Myself, personally, when I listen to said metal, its for the instrumentals (See: Children of Bodom, Anterior). However, that is why I truly appreciate bands like Threat Signal, Killswitch Engage, and Machinemade God (more recently) as those bands combine different vocal styles with the music.

On a side note, Adam D of Killswitch writes some of the best riffs in metal today. Talk about a beautifully melodic metal band. I guess that's why one of the most mainstream metal bands today (not counting, of course, your older stuff).
Old 09-04-08, 10:38 AM

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"

+1, metal has certainly gotten pretty stale since 2002 (when Ozzfest banked on the success of The Osbournes).

Opeth made the best album I have heard this year (both metal and non-metal wise), but there is really no other band even close to their level at this point.

I am also getting annoyed by these bands that have a decent album and then suck on the next one, I am looking at you DragonForce.

Or a band that does something cool and then doesn't evolve at all, I am looking at you Shadows Fall.
Old 09-04-08, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by macnorton
+1, metal has certainly gotten pretty stale since 2002 (when Ozzfest banked on the success of The Osbournes).

Opeth made the best album I have heard this year (both metal and non-metal wise), but there is really no other band even close to their level at this point.

I am also getting annoyed by these bands that have a decent album and then suck on the next one, I am looking at you DragonForce.

Or a band that does something cool and then doesn't evolve at all, I am looking at you Shadows Fall.
Agreed on Shadows Fall. However, listen to Ultra Beatdown, the new one from Dragonforce. I don't like Dragonforce, at all....all their stuff sounds the same. EXCEPT this album. I love it. Everything has gotten better, still fast, but the songs are much better. Try out "Last Journey Home" and "The Fire Still Burns."
Old 09-04-08, 11:03 AM

"Ultra Beatdown" is easily Dragonforce's best album since "Sonic Firestorm" despite it's incredibly homosexual album title.

..and Shadow's Fall, well, the least said about them the better I'll be.
Old 09-04-08, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by LickTheABCs
"Ultra Beatdown" is easily Dragonforce's best album since "Sonic Firestorm" despite it's incredibly homosexual album title.

..and Shadow's Fall, well, the least said about them the better I'll be.
+1. Agreed. Also, while enjoying the album, count how many times you hear the phrases "blackened sky," and "so far away."

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.