Reload this Page >

Hori PS3 Fighting Stick 3?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 12-30-08, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just picked up Soul Calibur IV Premium Edition for the PS3. Now I have a hankering for an arcade controller, and am considering the Hori PS3 Fighting Stick 3.

What are the opinions on this controller? And aside from the exterior aesthetics, are there any functional differences between it and the Soul Calibur IV Limited Edition version of the Fighting Stick 3?
Old 12-30-08, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No, but if I were you, I would wait for the Street Fighter IV stick that's coming out in February. It's going to be MUCH better than the Hori stick.
Old 12-31-08, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I bought the Hori Stick with SCIV when the game was released. It's really good with the game, I got it for the Xbox.
Of course I still suck, but at least I can't blame the controller this way. Hmm somehow I think that's something good.
Old 01-01-09, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Though I would like to wait for the SFIV stick (or even get the HRAP stick, which I would have to import though, since it isn't available in Canada or through Amazon.ca), the price on those sticks are pretty high for me, considering I haven't really had any arcade sticks before.

I went ahead and ordered off Amazon.ca and was able to get the Hori PS3 Fighting Stick 3 for $40 pre-tax (after $10 coupon). Seems like a decent enough price for my intro to arcade sticks.

Thanks for the info guys!
Old 01-01-09, 12:23 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Yavin
Though I would like to wait for the SFIV stick (or even get the HRAP stick, which I would have to import though, since it isn't available in Canada or through Amazon.ca), the price on those sticks are pretty high for me, considering I haven't really had any arcade sticks before.

I went ahead and ordered off Amazon.ca and was able to get the Hori PS3 Fighting Stick 3 for $40 pre-tax (after $10 coupon). Seems like a decent enough price for my intro to arcade sticks.

Thanks for the info guys!
you made the right choice. It is a great stick, and while the sfiv stick may end up being better...it will not be THAT much better. Price is to high.
Old 01-01-09, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wrong. The SFIV stick, even the lower priced one, will be that much better. It uses better stock parts, and, it's fully upgradeable with quick disconnects, unlike the Hori stick. Canada throws a monkey wrench into it, but the SFIV stick will be superior.
Old 01-02-09, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,027 Likes on 4,115 Posts
I got the SC IV one for the 360. I think it's okay if you're not too picky. It feels pretty solid to me and is still small enough to store in a small drawer under my couch (I couldn't go for one of those big Real Arcade ones that are friggin huge). The Japanese-style lolly pop stick takes a little getting used to, but I don't mind it. I do wish it had a round or octagonal gate instead of a square one, though.
Old 01-03-09, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,027 Likes on 4,115 Posts
If you're still interesed in a stick, the far superior Real Arcade Pro stick for the PS3 is on sale at Amazon for $89.99
Old 01-05-09, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Hori PS3 Fighting Stick 3?

Originally Posted by Decker
If you're still interesed in a stick, the far superior Real Arcade Pro stick for the PS3 is on sale at Amazon for $89.99
I already ordered the Fighting Stick 3 (cost me $40 plus tax) off of Amazon.ca, though they are still not in stock. I suspect that my lack of experience with arcade sticks will mean that I will be fairly satisfied with the FS3, and frankly I feel like $90 (plus probably import duties) would be too much.

I'm happy with the Amazon.ca price, since the FS3 (as it is not available at any of the major chains like Wal*Mart, etc. in Toronto) is still selling for $80 apparently at one of the large Asian malls here ...
Old 01-05-09, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I've got a couple of Hori sticks, and let me put it this way - they are good. You shouldn't have any issues with them at all. HOWEVER, if you're an absolute fighting game junkie, and you play a ton, you'll be disappointed with it's 'pedestrian' quality and general difficult upgrades. For the price, as I paid like $32 for my Hori EX on clearance at gamestop (with the VF5 stickers! and the tekken 5 stick that was $27!), and even up to $40-50 that the SCIV sticks were going for, they're worth it. I'm happy with mine, although I may mod both if I get ambitious.

I will say, if you're a serious player, the new Street Fighter IV "Pro" sticks are going to be badass, and I completely believe the hype. The Hori Real Arcade Pro series are also pretty good...I've used a HRAP2 for the PS2 before, and it's damn nice. I just can't see spending over $100 on one, although I'm considering it for SFIV. I wouldn't use it enough to justify it (nor am I a top tier player. I'm, say, a 7/10 on fighting games).

There is a good Arcade Stick thread at CheapAssGamer right now, under the General Video Games Category...has some regulars from Shoryuken's forums that contribute, and it's not as intimidating as some of the threads over at Shoryuken...
Old 01-07-09, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sweet, I just noticed the Hori Fighting Stick 3 is now In Stock at Amazon.ca, so they should be filling my order soon!
Old 01-07-09, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've had this pre-ordered for a while:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...X0DER&v=glance

I wish they would release a non-branded version of the SFIV stick.
Old 01-07-09, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have no idea why the Real Arcade sticks aren't available on Amazon.ca. Even if they were, though, I still don't think I would get one, as they are huge. I'm already pushing the limits of space with my collections, so the Real Arcade Pro stick would be too much ...
Old 01-07-09, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 438 Likes on 307 Posts

Does anyone know if there's a good arcade stick that you can use on both the 360 and the PS3? I figure with a USB plug, it should be doable, right?
Old 01-09-09, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for all the input everyone, just got my FS3 delivered from Amazon.ca (the box they shipped it is is pretty huge already, wonder how much of the space inside is filled by the actual packaging) ... now to see if I can squeeze in some time this weekend to use it ... I haven't even opened my Soul Calibur IV: Premium Edition!