Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Cowboy Bebop - Keanu Reeves

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 12-18-08, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love Lil' Buddha as Spike, and every single scifi/action with Keanu Reeves is at least pretty good except for Johnny Mnemonic, although I haven't seen TDTESS.

Per MTV
The flick is currently being put together by Erwin Stoff, a producer who has spent the last two decades working almost exclusively on Reeves projects, and recently set the film up at 20th Century Fox. “We’ve got the rights, we’ve got a writer,” Keanu explained. “He’s putting together a scene outline.”

Reeves revealed that this outline for the flick is currently focusing on the origins of the fictional “Bebop” drug developed by the military, which provides its users with a brief surge of superhuman reflexes and awareness. “We’re taking the Red Eye [story], the beginning part of the series,” he explained, “and then we’ll deal with the end of the series. We’re trying to figure out [the time frame]. We’re looking at the story right now.”

Since the beloved 26-episode show (as well as the feature film) didn’t necessarily maintain a linear style of storytelling, Reeves said that somewhere between the Red Eye origins and the “Bebop” conclusion, they’ll be picking out various highlights for their own use.

“Yeah, it’s so episodic and so disconnected. We’re trying to figure out what pieces to put together to tell one story,” he explained. “Because it’s such a short form, to make a 2 hour version [will be tough]. And it’s got so much of an origin-story obligation; you’ve got to get people up to speed, but you don’t want to do much of that. There are a lot of things to take into consideration, but we think we can do something good.”
Old 12-18-08, 02:44 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by cleaver
I love Lil' Buddha as Spike, and every single scifi/action with Keanu Reeves is at least pretty good except for Johnny Mnemonic, although I haven't seen TDTESS.

Per MTV
if you've seen one, you've seen all his performances
Old 12-18-08, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's truly awful.

Hey Hollywood, get off your ass and make Bastard!! already.
Old 12-18-08, 02:52 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
seriousily though the problem with Johnny Mnemonic wasn't Keanu it was Ice-T.
Old 12-18-08, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Love the anime, and think Keanu would be cool in the role.
Old 12-18-08, 03:14 PM

Vin Diesel is Jet Black. Someone hot and whiny for Faye... Kristin Bell with dyed hair?
Old 12-19-08, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 362 Likes on 262 Posts
Oooo. Cowboy Bebop means a lot to me. A LOT. I've sucked a lot of inspiration from the series. Great, great stuff.

A Red Eye storyline is fine with me. I say that they should just catch people up with some minor exposition and fit the storyline 'in between' one of the 'sessions'. I don't initially like the idea of 'summarizing' the entire series into one movie. If they wanted to go all out, make the movie's opening the end of one session and close it with the begining of another. If they want to encompass more of the series, do it with some non-linear storytelling and some 'visions' to give us some origins and destinations (where the series ended). I'm sure an intelligent group of writers could work something out.

I'm excited to hear about the director, cast and set design.

I'm not too familiar with the fans. But I hope they realize that a lot of fans hold the series very near and dear.

I really don't trust Fox.

A "Knockin' on Heavens' Door" adaptation was discussed five-or-so years ago. But I guess they never did anything with it.

On kind of a side note, I'm also curious to see how Akira is being handled. I guess it's still being made. Haven't heard about it lately.
Old 12-19-08, 05:08 AM

This will be very difficult to get right... they run a high risk of screwing this up, and I definitely don't trust Fox.

That said, if they must proceed, I nominate Ron Perlman for Jet and Rosario Dawson for Faye. Dakota Fanning as Ed? She might be too old now.

Samuel "M.F." Jackson as the TV show host. Howdy partners!
Old 12-19-08, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Chucky
Samuel "M.F." Jackson as the TV show host. Howdy partners!
Old 12-19-08, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well Keanu does look like Spike, and its a laconic character so he can't screw it up too badly with his line readings.

Still too bad they couldn't get a 28 year old Robert Mitchum for the role.
Old 12-19-08, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
I love the series and think Keanu would be great as Spike! Kristen Bell is a little too flat chested for Faye though...
Old 12-19-08, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by troystiffler
But I hope they realize that a lot of fans hold the series very near and dear.
I am certainly one of those. It is such a special show and is bar none my favorite show ever. Never even thought about the possibilty of a live action Hollywood movie before but am quite curious to see how this turns out.
Old 12-19-08, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I cannot picture Keanu as Spike... I don't think I have ever seen Keanu play as slick guy. I wouldn't hold high hope on this live action movie.
Old 12-19-08, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wonder if this will happen, or it will vanish into the land of limbo projects like the Neon Genesis Evangelion movie.
Old 12-20-08, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,005 Likes on 612 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey
I wonder if this will happen, or it will vanish into the land of limbo projects like the Neon Genesis Evangelion movie.
One can only hope...
Old 12-20-08, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 108 Likes on 67 Posts
They better keep the music from the series, or at least keep it in the same vein. Not sure how i feel about Reeves, but Vin Diesal would be a terrible Jet. Not sure who i would choose, but not him.
Old 12-20-08, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GreenMonkey
Depends on what happens with the Dragonball and Avatar: The Last Airbender movies. If they're hits, the live action Robotech, Akira, and Bebop movies will definitely get made.
Old 12-20-08, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
Depends on what happens with the Dragonball and Avatar: The Last Airbender movies. If they're hits, the live action Robotech, Akira, and Bebop movies will definitely get made.
Akira stands a better chance of getting made regardless. Leonardo DiCaprio is the exec producer on that and he's keen on pushing it forward (he doesn't want to star in it).
Old 01-08-09, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Cowboy Bebop - Keanu Reeves

I know its a pipe dream and prob won't happen. but am i the only one who could kind of see Rachel Griffiths (Brenda on Six Feet Under) as Faye?
Old 01-09-09, 02:30 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I love Cowboy Bebop, but I always felt Firefly/Serenity kind of satisfied my need to see that kind of world done in live action. Still, I'll see this if it gets made.
Old 01-09-09, 02:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
I know its a pipe dream and prob won't happen. but am i the only one who could kind of see Rachel Griffiths (Brenda on Six Feet Under) as Faye?
Fifteen years ago, maybe.
Old 01-09-09, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, she'd be dead on as Faye... but yeah, she is also 10 to 15 years past the part.
Old 01-09-09, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just hope they don't cast Abigail Breslin as Ed
Old 01-09-09, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You think they could also put Carrie Ann Moss as Faye and make it a Matrix renuion, or is she too old for it too?
Old 01-10-09, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.