Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Russia's ADMIRAL DVD now available with English subtitles!

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-08, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Russia's big blockbuster ADMIRAL is now available on Russian PAL DVD! Make sure you buy the DVD version with English subtitles. Just like the initial Russian DVD releases of NIGHT WATCH, there are official non-bootleg DVD versions with English subtitles and official non-bootleg DVD versions without English subtitles. Snag the English-subtitled ones quickly before 20th CENTURY FOX (I think they bought the rights) prevents Russian DVD retailers from selling them!

The DVD's technical specs are:
ANAMORPHIC 16:9 (2.35:1), PAL, Russian DTS/DD 5.1, English subtitles, Extras (making of and music video, non-subtitled)

Here's the trailer for this awesome-looking film: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjKHYENLThw

Last edited by toddly6666; 12-24-08 at 04:17 PM.
Old 12-22-08, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
toddly, thanks for posting the news. I'm very interested in seeing this one. Please do clarify the tech. specs. after you get the disc, specifically aspect ratio and runtime. IMDb shows a runtime of 124 minutes, however the DVD listing I've seen indicates a runtime of 90 minutes. And I'd like to be sure it is not only anamorphic but also 2.35:1 which I believe is the original aspect ratio.
Old 12-24-08, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Great news! I got the DVD today and it's better quality than I expected! I'll do a little dvd review of it after I watch it tonight...

Beautiful 2.35:1 ANAMORPHIC Video (interlaced, not progressive, but still beautiful)!
Excellent booming Russian Dolby Digital 5.1 AND Russian DTS!!!!
Very good English subtitles!!! (I confirmed the English subtitle translation versus Russian audio with my Russian wife who said they were accurate)
Extras such as Making of, Music video!! (non subtitled)

I bought my DVD here: http://www.russiandvd.com/store/product.asp?sku=380
Buy now before the American movie companies attack!

Thank you Santa for a great end-of-the-year DVD!

Last edited by toddly6666; 12-24-08 at 04:20 PM.
Old 12-25-08, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I am unsure how the video can be beautiful and interlaced at the same time.

Pro-B
Old 12-27-08, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
I am unsure how the video can be beautiful and interlaced at the same time.

Pro-B
I don't get it either, but I have seen many dvds processed as interlaced, but they don't seem it at all. I never said it looked interlaced. It looks like a beautiful progressive processed dvd. I used to have the old DVD version of Office Space which played on my dvd player as if it was anamorphic (filling the whole HDTV screen) and I thought it looked pretty perfect. I didn't understand when I read reviews of this dvd that it was non-anamorphic, but it looked anamorphic. And I have had cases of interlaced DVDs looking better than progressive...

...or you can wait maybe 5 years before you get ADMIRAL released on your precious Blu Ray...
Old 12-28-08, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

toddly, did you get a chance to watch the movie yet, how was it?
Old 12-28-08, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by flixtime
toddly, did you get a chance to watch the movie yet, how was it?
Flixtime, it's okay...I would give it 7 out of 10. The film basically has awesome action scenes, but it's a biopic film with scenes strung together. It's worth seeing, but don't expect much. Although I couldn't tell, my wife thought the acting was awful. Since I dont understand Russian, the acting seemed perfectly fine to me...
Old 12-28-08, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

toddly, thanks for taking the time to provide feedback. Can I trouble you yet again, about the runtime - 90 minutes or 124? IMDb lists 124 and the DVD e-tailer lists 90.
Old 12-28-08, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

toddly, thanks for taking the time to provide feedback. Can I trouble you yet again, about the runtime - 90 minutes or 124? IMDb lists 124 and the DVD e-tailer lists 90.
The exact running time (I checked my DVD) is 118 minutes.
Old 12-29-08, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks again!
Old 12-29-08, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

toddly, thanks for the info. I'll have to keep an eye out for this. btw, i love your avatar.
Old 12-29-08, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hey toddly, you should ask russiandvd for sales commission, looks like your post helped clear out their inventory...the dvd is out-of-stock now.
Old 12-29-08, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by BuddhaWake
toddly, thanks for the info. I'll have to keep an eye out for this. btw, i love your avatar.
thanks! two of my favorite characters from my favorite artists!

Hey toddly, you should ask russiandvd for sales commission, looks like your post helped clear out their inventory...the dvd is out-of-stock now.
I told ya to act fast! I bet Russiandvd.com won't get more now, eventhough they say "backorder". The same thing happened with the first Russian DVD of Night watch w/English subtitles. Were you able to order it?
Old 12-29-08, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

toddly, "win some, lose some", I missed out...too much time deciding if I wanted to pick up any other Russian war/fantasy films with my order...in hindsight a fairly big blunder on my part considering there was no real need to consolidate shipping since shipping is free. Oh well, it keeps me humble.
Old 12-29-08, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

toddly, "win some, lose some", I missed out...too much time deciding if I wanted to pick up any other Russian war/fantasy films with my order...in hindsight a fairly big blunder on my part considering there was no real need to consolidate shipping since shipping is free. Oh well, it keeps me humble.
there's always ebay!

Other Russian war/fantasy, you should have bought one of those from the 1970s, like Ludmila and Ruslan...
Old 12-30-08, 03:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by toddly6666
there's always ebay!
Itīs there for $16.00 ...which isnīt too bad + shipping.
Old 12-30-08, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Other Russian war/fantasy, you should have bought one of those from the 1970s, like Ludmila and Ruslan...
Already have RUSLAN AND LUDMILA, ILYA MUROMETS (which I prefer), and some other Ptushko...was maybe thinking of something from Aleksandr Rou or digging deeper into some old war films.

toddly, Dane, appreciate the reminder regarding Ebay...maybe I'll give russiandvd a chance to re-stock and play it from there.

Most importantly, since the participants in - and I expect readers of - this thread seem to be the folks I run into the most here in the International forum, I'd like to take this opportunity to wish you all a very happy new year. It has been my good fortune to talk movies with you all throughout the last few years.
Old 12-30-08, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Which version has the English subtitles. I would hate to get the wrong one. There appears to be a 1-Disc (DVD5), 1-Disc (DVD9) & 2-Disc DIGIPAK (DVD+CD)

What does the front & rear cover look like?

Thanks,

Last edited by Dane; 12-30-08 at 08:07 AM.
Old 12-30-08, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Dane
Which version has the English subtitles. I would hate to get the wrong one. There appears to be a 1-Disc (DVD5), 1-Disc (DVD9) & 2-Disc DIGIPAK (DVD+CD)

What does the front & rear cover look like?

Thanks,
The one I have is 1-disc DVD9 with the Russian Superbit cover...definitely don't get the wrong one!

Flixtime, Happy New Year to you too! Thanks for all the recommendations!
Old 12-30-08, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The one I have is 1-disc DVD9 with the Russian Superbit cover...definitely don't get the wrong one!
Superbit cover...? What does that look like? Some even list 1-Disc (DVD9) without English subtiles. Iīm confused.

Itīs out on Blu-ray as well (No region code, as I understand)

Blu-Ray: http://forum.totaldvd.ru/m.aspx?m=925642

Various Versions: http://www.ozon.ru/?context=search&t...CD%E0%E9%F2%E8

Last edited by Dane; 12-30-08 at 08:55 AM.
Old 12-30-08, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's pointless now to figure which is the best version without any confirmation of specs. I can't find my DVD version on Ebay either. It's probably just best to wait til www.russiandvd.com gets more in stock, because I confirmed the exact specs of that version. I wouldn't experiment with any other ones....
Old 01-09-09, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Russia's ADMIRAL DVD now available with English subtitles!

I got my copy from RussianDVD today, and I'm watching it now in PAL with English subtitles. DVD 5 according to the cover, which does not mention the Angliskii subtitles.
Old 01-10-09, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mammal
I got my copy from RussianDVD today, and I'm watching it now in PAL with English subtitles. DVD 5 according to the cover, which does not mention the Angliskii subtitles.
Do you have the version with the Superbit cover, DD 5.1, DTS Russian, English subtitles?
Old 01-10-09, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't think it's Superbit - but it does have DD 5.1, DTS and English subs. The cover is exactly like the one shown in the initial post.

Last edited by Mammal; 01-10-09 at 09:42 PM.
Old 01-28-09, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Now available - though a little more expensive - from artpopdvd.

Still backordered at russiandvd.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.