Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Dr Horrible's Sing-along-Blog (Joss Whedon) DVD - $9.99 on Amazon (Exclusive)!

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Old 12-23-08, 10:11 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

http://www.amazon.com/Horribles-Sing...0048580&sr=8-1

The title was originally $16.99, then $13.49 and finally $9.99. Great price for this! Keep in mind this will not be sold in stores and is put onto a DVD-R. All reports show this as looking very legit. This is NOT a bootleg, this is how Amazon.com is selling this title (along with several other shows like Hey Arnold, Doug etc).

For those unsure about the "burned to order" here is someones experience on Amazon.com:
1) The order... Amazon is burning these as orders come in, which is cost effective and FAST. Two-Day shipping applies to Prime members.

2) The DVD... The box has a very professional looking cover with spine and rear box art.... The only thing I noticed was the cover was a tiny bit fuzzy, probably from a lower printing resolution than normal DVD releases.

The disc looks AMAZING. I pulled it out, and was surprised to see the disc has a printed image ON THE DISC. This is very professional looking, and is quite impressive when you see it in person.

3) The content... It all starts with an impressive animated menu system that makes the film feel like a Hollywood picture. Very slick looking. The special features are amazing, including a 20 minute documentary about the making of the film, Commentary! (a commentary track with ALL new music with a behind the scenes feel), and all sorts of other fun little Easter eggs and surprises.
Old 12-23-08, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice one, thanks for the heads up. Interesting stuff about the burn on demand, didn't know amazon was doing that.
Old 12-23-08, 11:05 AM

If anyone's on the fence, I can vouch for the quality of the disc and art. I ordered mine last week and got it in the mail yesterday. If I wasn't told ahead of time that it was a DVD-R burned on demand, I never would have known. I guess I, like everyone else upon hearing "DVD-R," almost expected a cheaply printed cover and Joss's handwriting on the disc with a sharpie.

The disc art is very high quality, the cover looks just fine, and the content is great. It's nice that niche titles that normally wouldn't see mass distribution can be done like this.
Old 12-23-08, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by CloudVader
I guess I, like everyone else upon hearing "DVD-R," almost expected a cheaply printed cover and Joss's handwriting on the disc with a sharpie.
Actually I would have preferred that
Old 12-23-08, 11:19 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
The price is right, so I pull the trigger. Would be nice if it would have come before Xmas, but I'll survive.
Old 12-23-08, 11:20 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by CloudVader
I guess I, like everyone else upon hearing "DVD-R," almost expected a cheaply printed cover and Joss's handwriting on the disc with a sharpie.
Joss' handwriting? That would probably make it worth more!
Old 12-23-08, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by JustinCleveland
Actually I would have preferred that
Yes. That was my reaction also.

Thanks OP for the alert. I missed this when it was webcast.
Old 12-23-08, 11:57 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I think you can still watch it any time you want on Hulu.
Old 12-23-08, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Indeed, you can. Watched it for the first time ever the other day. Got a friend to watch it, and he's through 3 viewings.
Old 12-23-08, 12:00 PM

What kind of media are these discs burnt on? Bad media will start degrading in a few months.
Old 12-23-08, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Got mine today, it certainly does not look like a DVD-R, it's silver and has a regular printed Surface
Old 12-23-08, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts
$10 for a burned copy of something does seem a bit much. The whole setup of AMazon selling dvd-r copies of anythign strikes me as a bit sketchy. Its probably just me, but I dont like it.
Old 12-23-08, 12:40 PM

never heard of it. Is it a good movie ? Plus I agree with jjcool I don't feel comfortable with buying a burned copy.
Old 12-23-08, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,606 Likes on 1,005 Posts
Originally Posted by jjcool
$10 for a burned copy of something does seem a bit much. The whole setup of AMazon selling dvd-r copies of anythign strikes me as a bit sketchy. Its probably just me, but I dont like it.
If it works in my player and is endorsed by the creators, then I'm all for it.

Just got this in the mail yesterday. And I had no idea it was a DVD-R. I think that's pretty cool actually.
Old 12-23-08, 12:50 PM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hmmmm ... aren't all DVDs "burned"?

vvv Thanks for the clarification.

Last edited by MrE; 12-23-08 at 03:36 PM.
Old 12-23-08, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MrE
Hmmmm ... aren't all DVDs "burned"?
Commercially manufactured DVDs are pressed, not burned as DVD-Rs are. The two types of media use different technologies to store information. Commercial DVDs use physical pits and landings, while burned discs use reflective surfaces to simulate them.

Last edited by seymouru; 12-23-08 at 02:37 PM.
Old 12-23-08, 01:45 PM

Burned DVD's are significantly less reliable, especially over time, than pressed DVDs.
Old 12-23-08, 01:51 PM

I had been hearing great things about this and the DVD was on the TOP TEN Entertainment Weekly 2008 list. Anyone have any personal reviews they can share? Thanks & Happy Holidays!

--Dorfler
Old 12-23-08, 02:09 PM

Seems fairly overpriced for a 45 min burned DVR... If this gets down to the 4.99$ area I might bite. Knowing me I will end up buying this for 10$ anyways lol. Joss Whedon=Awesome.
Old 12-23-08, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Currently #5 on Amazon's list of most popular DVDs...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/dvd/

Behind only Dark Knight (SD and BD), Wall-E, and Mamma Mia, and ahead of BoB at $37.49.
Old 12-23-08, 03:24 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by SPRBD
What kind of media are these discs burnt on? Bad media will start degrading in a few months.
I wish I had known that! A while back, I took a ton of old tv shows I had on vhs (that havent come out on DVD) and copied them to DVD. Lately several them are freezing and stuttering. ...And I already pitched the tapes!! AAAAAAARRRGGHH!!

...As for Dr Horrible: It's easily worth $10. Especially considering all the extras, such as ANOTHER entire musical in the form of the audio commentary, as "COMMENTARY! The Musical!"

Last edited by cinemaphile; 12-23-08 at 03:27 PM.
Old 12-23-08, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by cinemaphile
I wish I had known that! A while back, I took a ton of old tv shows I had on vhs (that havent come out on DVD) and copied them to DVD. Lately several them are freezing and stuttering. ...And I already pitched the tapes!! AAAAAAARRRGGHH!!
The interesting thing is that DVDR's work slightly better as data-storage media. When your DVD player reads a DVD, it has to do it really quickly - in order to keep up with the video playback. Hence the errors. When your DVD-ROM unit reads data, it can re-read the same problem sectors multiple times and hopefully until it gets a good hit.

Why do you care? Because DVDR's which are starting to go bad may still generate clean reads when you rip them to your hard-drive. If you get a clean read off of a problematic disc, then you can just re-burn it and you end up with a perfect copy! And even if you get a slightly bad copy, you still are starting with a fresh disc, so you can wait a while before worrying about it again.

Bottom line is: buy premium blanks, burn them at slower speeds, check them every few months, and recopy them as soon as you notice trouble. Oh, and never trust somebody else's burnt discs, even if their name rhymes with Glamazon.
Old 12-23-08, 07:10 PM

Are you sure these are DVD-Rs? Doesn't look burned on the back--looks like any other purchased DVD.

EDIT: I see the statement on the amazon page about DVD-R

Last edited by kyle; 12-23-08 at 07:12 PM.
Old 12-23-08, 08:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cinemaphile
Couldn't you just archive them as ISO's on a harddrive? Then you could re-burn them as needed.
Old 12-23-08, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,606 Likes on 1,005 Posts
Originally Posted by Anono
Seems fairly overpriced for a 45 min burned DVR... If this gets down to the 4.99$ area I might bite. Knowing me I will end up buying this for 10$ anyways lol. Joss Whedon=Awesome.
There is a lot more than 45 minutes of material on the disc.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.