Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Siskel and Ebert review "True Lies" - Siskel and Ebert are STUPID

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 12-23-08, 06:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7ih1IF8axo

Watch their review.

My alarm went off when Ebert said it "provides a lot of comic relief".

Ebert... it IS a comedy. It's not an action movie with elements of comedy in it here and there. It is an action-comedy. There is so much comedy in True Lies that it isn't ABOUT the whole "terrorists plot". That's how I see it. You aren't really that excited about what happens then. It's a big action comedy adventure . The sub-romance with Simon/Carlos the Jackal is just as big part of the movie as everything else. It's central to the plot.

I don't get their review. I thought these guys were supposed to be the big, smart reviewers, but their review is bad.

I think these dumb fools think this is a movie that was supposed to be about Arnold fighting terrorists. I say that's one half the movie's content. The other half is the double life and Simon romance and all the other stuff (chemistry between Arnold and Tom).
Old 12-23-08, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's not nice to call one dead person and one almost dead person stupid, since I'm sure Ebert's opinion on a film is 10,000 times more valid than any opinion you have.
Old 12-23-08, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 680 Likes on 419 Posts
The forced comedic elements of "True Lies" weren't that funny to begin with. It's easily the LEAST entertaining of all of James Cameron's films (including Piranha 2) . I think S&E were pretty damn spot-on. Deal with it.

And wow people are still bitching about movie reviews 14 years after the movie was released? Let go, son...
Old 12-23-08, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know a lot of critics and people complained about the Bill Paxon/Jamie Lee Curtis/Arnold Schwarzenegger subplot, but it was the best thing about the movie for me.
Old 12-23-08, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I remember watching this review. I thought the stuff about the middle of the film was absolutely spot on as well. I have never watched it since I saw it in the theater. Not a fan.
Old 12-23-08, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, way to hold a grudge. Move on.

I, myself, think Bartholmule Pennipinch the Third's review of The Great Train Robbery was stupid and uneducated. His 1903 review stated that the audio was inaudible throughout the majority of the movie and that it was in black & white and shiz.
Old 12-23-08, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Was it marketed as a comedy or as another Arnold action flick?

I thought the comedy parts were the best scenes in the film, once the terrorists came into play I lost interest.

I still get a laugh every time Arnold walks down the street without a care in the world if a car, or bus hits him.
Old 12-23-08, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Parcher
Ebert... it IS a comedy.
No, it's not. You should watch the film before making such an assumption.
Old 12-23-08, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice post. Its been years since this movie came out and was reviewed. Now one guy has passed, and the other guy is kind of hanging on. I don't understand the point of bringing it up.
Old 12-23-08, 10:50 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Somebody's stupid, but it isn't Siskel or Ebert.
Old 12-23-08, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
No, it's not. You should watch the film before making such an assumption.
Old 12-23-08, 11:25 AM
FuQ

Nice topical thread, have you been keeping up with this Lorena Bobbit debacle?
Old 12-23-08, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
I'm miffed with Siskel and Ebert as well over their review of The Birth of a Nation. They just don't get it.
Old 12-23-08, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thought-provoking and topical. This thread delivers in spades! ****/****
Old 12-23-08, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Man, movies must take a long time to get over to Europe. And their reviews.
Old 12-23-08, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Sigh, show some respect for the dead! Siskel WAS stupid.

Old 12-23-08, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I just can't believe the Bills lost the Super Bowl FOUR straight times!
Old 12-23-08, 12:43 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Thanks to this review, I'm sure True Lies will bomb at the box office.
Old 12-23-08, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts
It was fun to watch Siskel and Ebert go head to head like junior high school kids, deciphering, breaking down movies pieces by pieces and totally missing the entire element which is enjoying the movie as a whole. I personally feel that movie critics takes movies way too seriously sometimes.

I think True Lies was a very enjoyable flick, and I had fun seeing the whole scene of Jamie Lee Curtis and the dude acting like a spy lol Plus I was blown away by her sexy body.

Yes I did find it humiliating on what they put her through, but it was hilarious.
Old 12-23-08, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
What, no love for Tom Arnold? That man's career is going places!
Old 12-23-08, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
So to all those being jerkoffs to the OP: what exactly is the statute of limitations on complaining about something? I'm sure he didn't watch it back in '94 or whenever it was the movie came out and hold a grudge all this time like some of you insinuate, I figure he just now stumbled upon that review, not everyone sees everything right when it comes out you know. If I watch Citizen Kane tomorrow would I not be allowed to complain about it if I don't like it since it came out so long ago? And who gives a shit if one of the guys bought it and the other isn't far behind, it's not like Parcher is complaining about the review to the guy's surviving family members.

Last edited by Maxflier; 12-23-08 at 02:05 PM.
Old 12-23-08, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I learned a long time ago not to trust critics when it comes to action movies, comedies, or any combination there of.
Old 12-23-08, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

To no one's surprise there are very few posts here that actually address the issue.

I watched True Lies the other day, and still today - as many years ago - find it a very enjoyable action comedy.I enjoyed getting it refreshed in my memory, and so went to check youtube if there was anything interesting on it,

I think it is utterly idiotic to say the movie has "comedy relief" since - I believe - that implies it's an action movie with comedy elements. It's not. It's an action comedy! There is so much comedy in this movie. There isn't ONE serious scene in this movie that doesn't contain some element or tone of comedy. Every action scene has some ridiculous element, funny punch lines, goofy action moves, etc.

As a reviewer I wouldn't bring down a movie just because I personally didn't like it that much when I can see it was still a well made movie that ""objectively"" contains a bunch of good elements and structures. Personally I think True Lies is WAY more than well made, and I think Cameron is one of the finest mainstream moviemakers and one of the biggest names in films ever

If you didn't like the Simon-Helen romance part then you didn't like True Lies, because that WAS the movie,along with the terrorists aspect.
It's no surprise the first thing Ebert mentions is the "action". Really it should be the action as well as the comedy.

Frankly I am sick of people - be it 20, 10 or 2 years or 2 days ago who direct unwarranted criticism towards movies they themselves could NEVER piece together. No chance in hell Siskel or Ebert are/were as visionary as Cameron, no chance they could ever make a movie as good as True Lies, and I think their review should recognize this. Yes it's their job to review, but review it fairly. They certainly missed the point on this one.

Whether they are living or dead doesn't change they missed the point, and you know comedy is a very individual thing in the sense that not everyone has the same taste and people are going to find different things funny. If you didn't like joke #1 in True Lies you probably didn't like joke #2, 3 or 4.
Old 12-23-08, 03:25 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Parcher
Frankly I am sick of people - be it 20, 10 or 2 years or 2 days ago who direct unwarranted criticism towards movies they themselves could NEVER piece together.
I'll have to quote this back to you next time you criticize a movie.
Old 12-23-08, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
I'll have to quote this back to you next time you criticize a movie.
I said unwarranted criticism

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.