Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Scariest Games.......

Old 03-21-01, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well i think that Resident Evil 2 and Silent Hill have been the scariest games so far for me. All the Resident Evil games are pretty spooky but RE2 was the wildest for me. There was this one part where i was in the police precint and i was in this interrogation room and a freaking spitter came crashing through the glass, i dropped the controller in complete sudden shock, the only game to ever do that to me. Silent Hill wasnt scary but i felt completely spooked out playing it. I remember the scene where that nurse chic starts spewing blood from her head and her eyes go bloodshot. Also everytime i played a tape in the VCR, it spooked me out.
I also think Parasite Eve 1 and 2 has had its scary moments. Right now im playing Onimusha and i think it has some eerie enviorments that might give a person the spooks.

What do you guys think?
Old 03-21-01, 02:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've never found the Resident Evil series (and all the wannabes) very frightening. Nerve-racking at times, and certainly a lot of "startling" moments, but not the grip-your-heart, sleep-with-the-lights-on fear that identifies good horror.

In truth, the only game that I've found genuinely scary is 7th Guest. Play it at 2 am, in a dark room, with headphones on. Keep a clean pair of underwear handy.

Never got around to playing 11th hour, though (the sequel). Biggest complaint I heard about it was that it was exactly like 7th Guest; I don't consider that much of a problem, so I'm gonna have to check that out.
Old 03-21-01, 03:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

the first resident evil was scary cuz there was no other game like it around, so that would have to be the scariest i've played
Old 03-21-01, 05:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Silent Hill was a bit disturbing.
Old 03-21-01, 08:16 AM

Definitely Half-Life...I know, I know, it was originally a PC game, but it's coming out for the consoles. Huge levels, the best and most logical level design I've ever seen, and great gameplay made the frightening and tense moments in this game all the more realistic. How can you not be tense when you're in a large room with crates everywhere, and you hear the pitter-patter of enemies running all around you? (I'm thinking of the black ninja-like assassins) Or walking along a corridor only to have the ceiling suddenly give way and alien horrors drop out of it? Great, great stuff...
Old 03-21-01, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would have to say Clive Barker's Undying is right up there. The game mechanics are ok, but the sound is masterful in this game. Play this game in a dark room, crank up your sound system and you will crap your pants with the baddies lurking behind a dark corner and you hear them, but you can't see them.

As for the 11th Hour, I bought that game when it finally came out. It was a lot like the 7th Guest in that it was puzzle-solving (why break something that isn't broken?), but was a little more mature and disturbing of a title. You really should pick it up (I think I've seen it in bargain bins), it's a lot of fun. Unfortunately, this is the game that ultimately destroyed Trilobyte (Clandestiny was a good game too...too bad no one played it).

Silent Hill was very scary as well...right along the lines of Undying since it was the sounds that got you scared.
Old 03-21-01, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by MWoody
I've never found the Resident Evil series (and all the wannabes) very frightening. Nerve-racking at times, and certainly a lot of "startling" moments, but not the grip-your-heart, sleep-with-the-lights-on fear that identifies good horror.
i agree - but there was one old school game that would freak me out late at night. x-com for the pc used to get me into what felt like another world sometimes. even till now friends and i joke about "____ has gone bezerk"
Old 03-21-01, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
I want to play Undying but haven't had the chance yet.

Regarding Halflife, both the original and HL: Opposing Forces had some awesome moments -- those aliens could just teleport in at any point.

The freakiest though, was the "They Live" map set by Neil Manke. It's basically set in a circa 1950 "Night of the Living Dead" town complete w/ periodic radio updates and everything. It's mostly dark, a lot of old buildings and cemetaries and whatnot. The audio was really scary. The zombies were slow and all, but you could always hear their breathing and groans -- and occasionally there'd be the classic "braaaains" "I hunnnnger", etc.

The zombies could also take a LOT of hits unless you were able to hit them in the head -- sometimes difficult b/c of being so dark and gloomy. You could also duck in and out w/ a crowbar and take them in a few hits. Plus ammo was pretty scarce.

Alone in the Dark 1 (the original survival horror)
was also a lot of fun -- and had some great moments.

Tuan Jim
Old 03-21-01, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Maniac Mansion

-Matt
Old 03-21-01, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My big problem with Undying is that your weapons are in your left hand (while the right hand does spells) and it is a bit different from all the FPS's that have the weapon in your right hand. I don't think the weapons are that great in Undying, but the storyline is cool and it's worth it to make it through the game.
Old 03-21-01, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Silent Hill, it got so scary I couldn't even finish it! I know I'm a wuss.
Old 03-21-01, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Definately Silent Hill. The game wasn't just scary, it had the most disturbingly creepy atmosphere and story I've ever seen in a game. Just walking around the school or hospital with my crap-ass little flashlight scared the hell out of me. My younger sister liked to watch me play adventure games, and she had nightmares for a couple nights in a row after watching me play SH for a few hours.
Scary, scary stuff. Can't wait for SH2.
Old 03-21-01, 11:26 AM

As for the RE games, I found them all to be fairly scary, but the original RE takes the cake. First of all it was the first one and the first experience is always the best, and really, nuthin's scarier than an old huge mansion.
Old 03-21-01, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Has to be SplatterHouse for the old, old Turbo Grafx 16. Kinda scary as an arcade game too.
Old 03-21-01, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Half-Life, for sure. Scared the bejesus outta me at times. (Now I'm dying for Undying!)
Old 03-21-01, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by tha_dvd_man
Definately Silent Hill. The game wasn't just scary, it had the most disturbingly creepy atmosphere and story I've ever seen in a game. Just walking around the school or hospital with my crap-ass little flashlight scared the hell out of me. My younger sister liked to watch me play adventure games, and she had nightmares for a couple nights in a row after watching me play SH for a few hours.
Scary, scary stuff. Can't wait for SH2.

LOL! My little nephew likes to do the same thing. He wont dare to play but he'll watch me play the games like RE or SH and then he cant sleep at night.
Oh and your not the only one, i bought my PS2 mainly becuase of Silent Hill 2 and whatever they've got in store for Resident Evil.
Old 03-21-01, 05:30 PM

Undying #1 by far
System Shock2 #2
Aliens Vs. Predator #3 the marine part.
Old 03-25-01, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Tuan Jim

Regarding Halflife, both the original and HL: Opposing Forces had some awesome moments -- those aliens could just teleport in at any point.

The freakiest though, was the "They Live" map set by Neil Manke. It's basically set in a circa 1950 "Night of the Living Dead" town complete w/ periodic radio updates and everything. It's mostly dark, a lot of old buildings and cemetaries and whatnot. The audio was really scary. The zombies were slow and all, but you could always hear their breathing and groans -- and occasionally there'd be the classic "braaaains" "I hunnnnger", etc.

The zombies could also take a LOT of hits unless you were able to hit them in the head -- sometimes difficult b/c of being so dark and gloomy. You could also duck in and out w/ a crowbar and take them in a few hits. Plus ammo was pretty scarce.

Tuan Jim

I had Alone in the Dark for the 3D0. The first and only classic to me! What ticked me off is that they havn't released it for a major console since but part 2 was. That I know of anyway! I'm still waiting for the 4th game in the series.
Old 03-25-01, 01:25 AM

Originally posted by DarthMaul420

Tuan Jim

I had Alone in the Dark for the 3D0. The first and only classic to me! What ticked me off is that they havn't released it for a major console since but part 2 was. That I know of anyway! I'm still waiting for the 4th game in the series.
I think AitD for the 3DO was the first game that actually scared me. I was watching my friend play it for quite a while, and it actually creeped me out.

Actually, the first game that freaked me out was some Friday the 13th game for the NES. It was an overhead game I think and you went from cabin to cabin looking for Jason, I guess. I don't know why, but it scared the living crap out of me for some reason. I'd rented it from Blockbuster and returned it the next day. I was little, though.
Old 03-25-01, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by tha_dvd_man
Originally posted by DarthMaul420

Tuan Jim

I think AitD for the 3DO was the first game that actually scared me. I was watching my friend play it for quite a while, and it actually creeped me out.

Actually, the first game that freaked me out was some Friday the 13th game for the NES. It was an overhead game I think and you went from cabin to cabin looking for Jason, I guess. I don't know why, but it scared the living crap out of me for some reason. I'd rented it from Blockbuster and returned it the next day. I was little, though.

When Jason popped out ... scared me sh**less! A Nightmare on Elm Street's game was almost the same. I was really young then though!
Old 03-25-01, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
For me it would be Rescue on Fractalus, one of the first computer games put out by Lucasfilm. What made it scary was having an alien pop up unexpectedly in front of the windshield of your spacecraft during rescue missions.
For those not familiar with the game, the object was to rescue downed pilots on a planet. Whenever you landed, you had to turn off your engines so the pilot could safely approach your craft. You would hear three knocks, letting you know it was safe to open the airshaft to let him in.

However, in later missions, you cannot distinguish between your pilots and the enemy aliens. In that case, if you waited, sometimes a big and green alien would jump in front of the screen in a very frightening way, backed with jarring and spooky sound effects! Most people who have played this game played with the TV volume up high, which made the scare factor jump tenfold.
Old 03-25-01, 04:44 AM

HereticII expansion.

http://www.hereticii.com/abode/
Old 03-25-01, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,159 Likes on 4,192 Posts
Another vote for Half-Life. I remember many hours wandering down empty halls with a queasy feeling in my stomach and then something teleporting in and scaring the living sh*t out of me. And those damn little face huggers scurrying all over the floor -- man, I hated those things!
Old 03-25-01, 01:03 PM

Originally posted by Decker
Another vote for Half-Life. I remember many hours wandering down empty halls with a queasy feeling in my stomach and then something teleporting in and scaring the living sh*t out of me. And those damn little face huggers scurrying all over the floor -- man, I hated those things!
You'd probably like System Shock 2 then. It has the same kind of horror elements, but much much scarier and creepier. Complicated game though.
Old 03-25-01, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is really old school...but has no one here ever played Sinistar?

"Run coward! I hunger."

Game was so intense it used to give me the shivers...how I wish I had one of the original consoles...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.