Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Will Amazon charge a ship fee if "pre-order price guarantee" drops price below $25?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Will Amazon charge a ship fee if "pre-order price guarantee" drops price below $25?

Old 12-15-08, 11:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a DVD on Amazon that is currently priced at $26.99, which is only 10% off the full retail price, and is set to release at the end of January 2009.

If I place the order today, I will get free shipping because the price is over $25.

At some point between now and the release date, the price will almost certainly drop to at least 30% off retail, maybe even 40% off retail. Pursuant to their "pre-order price guarantee," I will get the reduced price.

However, after the price drop, the price will now be below $25. Will Amazon now charge me shipping, or will I get the benefit of the pre-order price guarantee AND still get to keep my free shipping?

Anybody experience this situation before?
Old 12-15-08, 11:22 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
They no longer do the pre-order price guarantee.
Old 12-15-08, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Groucho
What makes you say that? They list it on all pre-order DVDs that I can find.

Example:

http://www.amazon.com/Chris-Rock-Mes...9361810&sr=8-2
Old 12-15-08, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think that's the only way to get any money back now.

The pre-order guarantee is "automated" versus the whole "my item dropped $4.45 since last week".

As far as your original question, I *think* you will still qualify for free shipping, but I am not 100% sure.
Old 12-15-08, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
No, they no longer do the post-order guarantee. They won't issue a credit if the price drops within 30 days after an item ships.

And you will still get free shipping if the price drops below $25. It has happened to me a couple of times. As long as it qualifies at the time of the order.
Old 12-15-08, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
No, they no longer do the post-order guarantee. They won't issue a credit if the price drops within 30 days after an item ships.

And you will still get free shipping if the price drops below $25. It has happened to me a couple of times. As long as it qualifies at the time of the order.
Perfect. Thanks.
Old 12-16-08, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7

that's correct. the pre-order guarantee is guranteeing the price you pre-order it from. if it goes down in price you have to cancel and re-order if it goes up your ok because the price you purchased it for is guaranteed.
Old 12-16-08, 07:50 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Thanks guys. I thought there was a thread in here complaining that they got rid of that feature. Glad to know that they did not!
Old 12-16-08, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BuddhaWake
the pre-order guarantee is guranteeing the price you pre-order it from. if it goes down in price you have to cancel and re-order if it goes up your ok because the price you purchased it for is guaranteed.
Incorrect.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...&nodeId=468502

Pre-Order Price Guarantee

Amazon.com's price for not-yet-released items sometimes changes between the time the item is listed for sale and the time it is released and shipped. Whenever you pre-order a book, CD, video, DVD, video game, or software item, the price we charge when we ship it to you will be the lowest price offered by Amazon.com between the time you place your order and the release date. The order summary in Your Account will reflect the lowest price within 24 hours of the price change.

Please note that our Pre-Order Price Guarantee applies only to items sold by Amazon.com, and not to items (or prices) offered by other sellers on our site.

If your order enters the shipping process before the release date and the price is lowered on the release date, we will automatically refund your credit card for the difference between the price you were charged and the release-date price. If you did not use a credit card to pay for your order, please contact customer service through the Contact Us box on the right side of any Help page.
Old 12-16-08, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts
that's correct. the pre-order guarantee is guranteeing the price you pre-order it from. if it goes down in price you have to cancel and re-order if it goes up your ok because the price you purchased it for is guaranteed.
Not correct at all. The pre=order price guarantee says that when you preorder an item, you are locked in to the lowest price amazon offers it for between the date you preorder it and the day it comes out. If you preorder it at 25, and it drops to 23, you pay 23. If the price then goes up to 28, you still only pay 23. Its an automatic thing, no need to cancel and reorder.

EDIT: and Kevin actually posted the wording off amazon's site. thanks.
Old 12-16-08, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

wasn't like that for my pre-order of La Femme Publique
Old 12-16-08, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 750 Likes on 488 Posts
wasn't like that for my pre-order of La Femme Publique
Seemingly all of the pre-orders that I make end up going down in price. After they have shipped, I usually receive a notification that my account has been credited $X because of the pre-order price guarantee.

Now, if the price was really low and you ordered it after it went back up, you won't get the lower price unless they drop it again. And if they lower the price after release date you won't get any credit. But I've never had any problems receiving money back from pre-orders.